How would you frame this addition?

chiefuserchad

How would you go about positioning the gabled roof in the middle of this photo? The lower roof on the left is existing and the second floor on the right will be the addition but because we're extending the exterior wall between the two structures the roof line has to be changed. I thought I could get a gable between the two as a patio cover but I'm not sure how to integrate where the eaves intersect between the existing roof and new roof. Any ideas?

post-8408-0-51350700-1467404920_thumb.jpg

post-8408-0-95518800-1467404921_thumb.jpg

Yes, I was planning on adding the crickets, but what I'm trying to figure out is how to draw the two new roof planes and how it would tie into the existing one next to it. Do I cut back the eave and rest the edge of the roof plane on the exterior wall? I can't seem to get the roof planes to merge in the right way.

A box over a box isn't the prettiest thing on the block but if that's all the client can afford, so be it.

maybe offset the 1st and second floor might help it a little. there are other things you can do if the budget is there.

No offense, but as a builder and designer I would strongly recommend you reconsider that roof design entirely.

^^^^^ this...the design of that roof isn't good and asking for future problems. Redesign.

You could just raise that added roof 3' or so and have an elevated post-to-beam support leaving the tie-in of that roof addition unessissary since it would just sit above the other roof planes. The gutter system remains as-is and the new roof's storm water just spills down to the lower, existing, roof/gutters.

This would also look better too.