lbuttery

Members
  • Posts

    3717
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by lbuttery

  1. HD PRO users can benefit from following the Chieftalk forum it is the only HD product that has manual tools for most features a Premier user can set a flag that allows PRO users to work with the plan BUT, if the plan uses Premier features that PRO doesn't have that area will be read only an alternative is to buy Premier - use it for your project then sell it when you are done (are they ever really done ?) most likely be able to get 80% of cost back Lew
  2. Chief-Albert: you should start a new thread for your request then delete your post in this thread Lew
  3. Harry: thanks for the textures offer I used to collect "everything" but now that I am retired I no longer have a need good luck Lew
  4. David: if no solution contact CA's tech support - hrs are 6 AM - 5 PM Pacific Lew
  5. draw a marquee around the entire page use Ctrl-c to copy jump to the desired page and use ctrl-v to paste go back to blank page and delete it Lew
  6. sorry, but Port. support ain't gonna happen anytime soon would Microsoft translator work ? Lew
  7. I recommend i7 with as many cores as you can afford Lew
  8. Greg: if you have a USB port there are USB to HDMI adaptors also Lew
  9. Greg: Fyi: I have the the PC device - works great for $49.95 Mac device is $$$ http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-miracast-screen-mirroring,review-2286.html Lew
  10. Hi: contact Wendy Welton - very friendly lady http://www.artformhomeplans.com/PlanCatalog.a5w Lew
  11. I had a client wanting to build a 1.6 Million house but decided he only wanted to spend $800,000 he insisted he didn't want 3D I created a set of 3D camera views in preparation for adding to my website as my "prime project" went to a meeting showed him the 3D prints and he went crazy and wanted a set for his wife as she couldn't understand 2D plans fortunately, I ended up firing him as a client as he kept trying to nickel and dime on "one more set of minor changes" Lew
  12. I got my Realtor license Sep 2008 the plan was to work with builders to buy lots for spec houses sell the lot to a buyer design the spec house alas, the economy blew up in August 2008 so in Jan 2009 I had to leave the DC market and moved to Buffalo NY area thought about getting Realtor license there but ended up filing for disability seemed like a good plan but never got to implement it Lew
  13. find out what your garage mechanics and other trades people get in your area such as plumbers and electricians (non-Master) - skilled handymen etc not lawyers, dentists, doctors then charge less to get established then after a year or so when you feel confident in your skill level raise them never, ever do work for free to get the first job with a client I did that and it was a mistake collect a retainer for a few hours work - no more than one day then as the balance approached zero - get another round that way you can share work product and never need to get into "collections" that is how lawyers work I didn't like sqft pricing as a 2000 sqft house can be very simple or very complex Lew
  14. yes, I believe it can but I don't remember how I think you put the transparent graphic on page 0 Lew
  15. Harry: this one ? http://www.xiberpix.net/SqirlzReflect.html Lew
  16. When creating a PDF from the layout Chief automatically adds "-layout" to the plan name Is there anyway to avoid this ??? each time I have to eliminate it since it is "unwanted" an unwanted annoyance ... Lew
  17. I don't think you can have two Terrain Perimeters Probably best to have two plans and send the views to layout side by side Lew
  18. Okay, let's see a show of hands to see how many think "Anyone can do this." Richard: not me, and maybe not my partner best left to those who know how sub-contracting tasks like this is best way Lew
  19. Jay: VA did the same with the IRC codes for bracing walls Lew
  20. Gene: I saw this type of situation many times my partner Joe was able to fix them every time I couldn't - but he could for me it was like pushing Jello I'd send him the plan and a few minutes later - done Lew
  21. Gene: I would do these to the best of my ability - get frustrated and send them to my partner to "fix" in a case like this you "probably" should be able to get all sides to 4' exactly if not, setting one to round to the nearest 1" would "probably" be ok as the builder should use the stated dim and not try to scale from the drawing but if it's a "critical" area ??? Lew
  22. How do you handle lateral load calculations, which are equally important? Richard: since my clients were builders they handled all load issues unless the permit office wanted engineered info then the builder would sub-contract to the engineer for the appropriate info/drawings sometimes we just added the engineers page(s) to our pages for the builder to submit other times the engineer would send the drawings to us and my partner would do them in cad and then we placed them on our pages send them back to the engineer for review and stamping and the builder would sign and submit Lew
  23. prior to getting Chief in 2004 I was doing my research and found software that import digital pictures and give "all" the dimensions and export as a .DWG file I verify Chief can import .DWG files so I seeing a business model where it would be "easy" to photo a house' import into Chief and voila a 3D model ummm, then reality struck :( it doesn't work Lew
  24. As a drafter who has "discussed" this issue with Richard many times over the last decade I fully agree with his reply 100% to add my own two cents - read every single post on this forum "forever" when I started in 2004 - even before I bought Chief I skimmed the postings for 6 months and I read prior postings also for at least a year back then when I bought Chief I started reading every single post I joined www.ChiefExperts.com I bought books - lots and lots of books check out Amazons used books I bought hundred+ for under $10 including shipping if the newest book is 4th ed buy 2nd or 3rd and if you really find it useful then spend $$ and get the latest edition start learning every day and never stop if a project is in county A then go to their website or call them and ask what they require for a permit set it is different for each and every county/jurisdiction even if the state follows the IRC/IBC I took classes at the local community college under audit status why audit? - didn't save me any money but I didn't have to take the tests or do assignments I didn't have time for but I attended every class and bought the book(s) and did as much as I had time for learn - learn - learn Lew
  25. Chief does have a "CAD to Walls" tool but very few use it or have had luck in using it most Chiefers import the CAD file, scale it, then trace over it with Chief's walls and add doors and windows and then proceed from there to finish the plan Lew