Plants Not Showing In Elevations Sent To Layout - Latest Update?

HumbleChief

If you send from a live view using a Standard Render camera, then plants show. What may or may not change at your command is how you now send to layout that makes the quality of the send to layout and determines what is sent to layout.

This was not as true in X7 as it is now in X8. Choice is the difference.

DJP

If you send from a live view using a Standard Render camera, then plants show. What may or may not change at your command is how you now send to layout that makes the quality of the send to layout and determines what is sent to layout.

This was not as true in X7 as it is now in X8. Choice is the difference.

DJP

Thanks for your advice as always David but this issue is a bit more complex as the video shows. My template plan, using a Vector Camera, sent to Layout with plot lines only, the plants show going a bit contrary to the advice above? Now with shadows on the Plants show in Layout.

Check the video if you have time - I know they are not easy to watch all the way through but it shows a few different settings and results.

1. The plants will display in color with color when possible, but won't show in Layout.

2. That will show the Layout in color but I want just Plot Lines, and when turning off color the plants disappear/reappear with the color on/off.

3. Tried many many different iterations but no go.

I actually already had watched the video when I responded. There are at least a couple things you didn't do or that I couldn't see though.

1. Whether you had always display images in color on or off. I guess that one might not matter though as you had it set the same for both plans.

2. I'm not sure I ever saw you send to layout in the problem plan with color fill unchecked and color DISPLAY toggled on.

If I turn on shadows the plants show  - they are transparent but they show - or maybe just their shadows? Still experimenting and waiting for the DOH moment when headquarters e-mails with the super simple thing I'm missing..

I don't think you're missing anything super simple.  I finally got back to the office and took your plan for a quick test drive and after playing with it for a bit here's what I found.  Whether the plant images will display or not seems to depend on:

A. Whether you're using AND displaying a color fill or not...

OR

B  Whether the camera is set to show shadows or not...

Which leads me to believe that the fact images can even be displayed in a vector view may be more of a side effect to the new shadow, lighting, and color abilities that were added in X8 and maybe not a feature in and of itself. 

Also..."Display In Color When Possible" will cause your images to be full color regardless of any other color settings you have.  When that box is checked, the images will be in color even when your color display is off.  So, if you want your plant images to be in black and white, that setting needs to be unchecked AND the color display IN PLAN must be off when you send the view to layout.  Simply turning off the color display in layout will not do the trick by itself. 

To sum up, I believe the plant images displaying might be more of a fluke than a feature (I guess only Chief knows) and I still don't think plant images are the way to go for vector views.  IMO they don't really look that nice.  I would be using 3D plants, plant CAD blocks, or CAD blocks created using 3D plants. 

Anyway, hopefully that helps you.

• Upvote 1

Which leads me to believe that the fact images can even be displayed in a vector view may be more of a side effect to the new shadow, lighting, and color abilities that were added in X8 and maybe not a feature in and of itself.

...I believe the plant images displaying might be more of a fluke than a feature...

Appreciate you taking the time to look at the plan again and I came to a very similar conclusion to yours quoted above.

I also don't think using Vector Views to show plants is a good way to go and this situation was bit unique as I had a client over, we ran out of time and I had to leave the office but he had to leave with a B&W printout so I thrashed through the situation using my usual MO above without resolving it. 

I heard back form Chief but they really just had question about what I was trying to do so resolution from headquarters yet and sending live solves everything so it's not a deal breaker but am still curious..

Are you using a template layout from the "profile layout" in X8 ? There could be a difference as spoken from Chief themselves. I had to recreate them myself when X8 arrived. No bringing forward this time around.

I think you guys mostly had it right re: plant images. I'm thinking if anything changes it would good to not show plants in elevation view (no shadows/no color) so one wouldn't expect them to also show when sent to Layout as well.

..."using plot lines without shadows or color removes the textures and patterns completely from a view [but not the elevation view - my quote], the plants are being removed from your layout view, as the plants in your plan are image based objects."

..."I have passed information on to our developers so they can take a look at optimizing the behavior of image based objects in elevation views, and how those views are sent to layout in the future."