Use Chief Architect for Part Modeling?

dbkb0227

Hello Everybody! Has anybody used chief architect to generate machine parts? I'm trying to do a 3D model where a solid 1/2" tube fits into a 3/4" x 1/8" thick hollow tube. Is this even achievable in Chief Architect and if so any suggestions on the easiest way to go about doing it? Thanks for all the help!!

Can do it-solid cylinder, set size. Copy in place, open object, change size. Transform replicate, copy and move given distance (x 10)

select first object, solid subtraction, select second smaller cylinder.

Transform replicate, move (3rd object) back (x -10) and up or down if you want to see it (z)

wouldn't be my first choice unless I needed just something that simple. More complicated or more machine parts there are tools better suited.

You do know that IRL you can't put a 1/2" diameter tube into a 1/2" diameter hole right?

post-85-0-81910700-1463777451_thumb.jpg

You do know that IRL you can't put a 1/2" diameter tube into a 1/2" diameter hole right?

Mark

That reminds me of a discussion that we had in a materials engineering class in college (many years ago).  We were discussing clearance and interference fits between objects (where a 5.000" diameter shaft needs to be pressed into a 4.995" diameter hole).  One of the students insisted that size on size will not go i.e. a 5.000" diameter shaft would not go into a 5.000" diameter hole without being forced.

Alan

a 5.000" diameter shaft would not go into a 5.000" diameter hole without being forced.

Alan,

You can then use the Heat tool from the edit toolbar on the tube (to make it expand) so that the shaft will slide in.  :)

• Upvote 1

Yes if you heat the outer part & cool the inner part it will still require force to join the parts.

I think that 10 thousandths play is still considered an interference fit and requires force to join the parts.

Thanks for the help everybody. I don't think CA can do what i'm trying to achieve. The part that is hollowed out also has a bend in it. We need these parts to be accurate because we want to print them on a 3D printer. Any other suggestions on how I can make this work? Thanks again!

That's definitely doable within Chief. Unless you're pretty proficient with it it will probably by somewhat of a challenge though. I use Chief to draw odd things like that from time to time. If it's something you're going to do very often though I'm not sure Chief is the best tool for the job. Nothing against Chief. I just think there are apps better suited for the task for anyone who does that sort of thing on a regular basis.

• Upvote 1

That's definitely doable within Chief. Unless you're pretty proficient with it it will probably by somewhat of a challenge though. I use Chief to draw odd things like that from time to time. If it's something you're going to do very often though I'm not sure Chief is the best tool for the job. Nothing against Chief. I just think there are apps better suited for the task for anyone who does that sort of thing on a regular basis.

I agree with Michael here.  Specific tools for this type of work will make the process much faster.