Schedules

Keith_A

I am currently working on a apartment complex plan, and since upgrading I have found alot of the features to be useful; including schedules. The trick I have not yet learned is how to add a schedule that is specific to each unit number. Lets say Unit 1 has a Bedroom, Bathroom, Kitchen, and Living Room. The Electrical Schedule will let me select the Unit that I have assigned a room name of unit 1, but if I name all the rooms inside Unit 1 as Unit 1 when I add a schedule it does not group the rooms. I can add an individual schedule for each room named Unit 1 but not 1 schedule that includes all the fixtures for that entire apartment. I am hoping to avoid multiple schedules per unit because it makes it hard for quantity counts to be overlooked.

Is there a way to group a set of rooms together and have a schedule for that group of rooms that only has one line per material item? 

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your help. 

I haven't tried it, but I would think you could name the rooms Living Room 1, Dining Room 1, etc. for Unit 1 and Living Room 2, Dining Room 2, etc. for Unit 2.  If you add Room Name to your schedule, it should separate them out on the schedule.  If you don't want the numbers to show on the plan, you could manually place the Room Names you want and not show the actual room name in the dbx.  They would all be on the same schedule, but at least they would be separated.

I would give the Units numbers so that the rooms were numbered as well:

First Floor

110-Living Room

111-Dining Room

112-Bedroom

113-Bath

120-Living Room

121-Dining Room

122-Bedroom

123-Bath

First Floor

210-Living Room

211-Dining Room

212-Bedroom

213-Bath

220-Living Room

221-Dining Room

222-Bedroom

223-Bath

The 1st number is the floor, the 2nd number is the unit & the 3rd number is the room within the unit.

Could eliminate the room definitions for the individual rooms. Instead make each unit a room by setting any setting interior walls to no room definition.

Copy an paste the existing room labels first and you don't have to add them manually.

Downside is that any finishes defined by room (such as floor) all change and have to be added separately.

I have tried a few of these suggestions (the first one was greek to me so I didn't understand or attempt that), the problem i am finding is losing room definitions plays havoc on the rest of the finished plan. I was hoping it was as easy as making a group of rooms into one schedule (minus the room names) for a cut list of materials per unit, almost like making an architectural block of rooms. I will keep playing but exactly what i am going for doesn't seem possible without compromising the plan elsewhere. 

Thanks everyone. 

Ok I have played with this for awhile now. 

Is it possible for schedules to follow only a specific layer set. If I have a layer for outlets and one for emergency lighting that seems like an easy fix. Have schedules that only include items visible on the layer set. Can this be done? 

Keith,

I don't believe that you can control the schedules with layer sets.

This is a copy of my post from the other thread that may help:

You may be able to get some of the functionality you are after.

Open the electrical symbols "Symbol Specification" dbx - not it's "Electrical Service Specification" dbx. 

Go to the Options panel and then the Options section.

Here, you can specify different categories for the symbol - like Outlet, Switch, Light, etc.

You can then open the "Electrical Schedule Specification" dbx, down at the bottom of the General panel, there is a Objects To Include section where you can choose from Outlets, Switches, Lights or Other.

In both locations you can check more that one box.

In the Electrical Schedule Specification dbx, you can also restrict the schedule to a single floor.

http://screencast.com/t/C4xaJPDtE2Q9