Roof pitch labels in section and elevation

Bill_Emery

Perhaps others know this; but it's new to me.

I just noticed that it is possible to show roof pitch in section, and elevation as I was detailing my cross sections.

In elevation or section use the "all off" set with roofs and roof labels turned on. Shift select the roof planes, and open the DBX.

under the camera view display, check "show in this view", and then adjust the Y value so it sits above the roof.

post-62-0-11727000-1437764398_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Perhaps others know this; but it's new to me.

I just noticed that it is possible to show roof pitch in section, and elevation as I was detailing my cross sections.

In elevation or section use the "all off" set with roofs and roof labels turned on. Shift select the roof planes, and open the DBX.

under the camera view display, check "show in this view", and then adjust the Y value so it sits above the roof.

Holy Kamoly mi amigo,  thanks.

Hi Joe,

To paraphrase the  Rolling Stones;  It's not exactly what I want, but it's very close to what I need.

Yes, it could  be better but the Bottom line is that it conveys the information , and works for me the way it is.

I am currently working on a code that will also let you include the pitch markers in elevation view. What I normally do is use the default roof labels for roof slopes that are facing me and then select the other roofs one side at a time like all the lefts then all the rights. select them then go to the label menu and click specific then object specific and presto there is pitch just click it and offset the x value to the right or left depending on what side you're doing then I use a block I saved that is a triangle filled black in case of things that make lines hard to see with a 12 on top and one that is the regular two lines for a pitch marker with 12 on top then just stamp into position next to your pitch labels. Boom done.

X7 user

Hi Michael,

Based on the DBX it appears to be a deliberate feature.  However, there appears to be no documentation.

Bill,

From the help file:

Roof Plane Labels

Roof plane labels indicating the pitch and slope direction are located on the “Roofs, Labels” layer and can be set to display in floor plan and cross section/elevation views.

• Downvote 1

so they did get it in there....just buried it so it was difficult to notice.  Sneaky CA....very sneaky ;)

I think it is great that it is there for others that do use it, but I personally am with Joe and Perry on this one....I wouldn't use it.

• 1 month later...

Thank you Bill!

It might not be formatted the way I would do it, but this is exactly the kind of QC aid that can save a lot of time and keep your butt out of the fire.

Check out this Part 2 idea - make your Roof, Labels layer a light grey so it shows on screen but doesn't really print - then you have it there to put your own label.

And I feel a Feature Request coming on - would love to set this globally, at least the offset.

post-2715-0-06325700-1441633008_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

Thanks Wendy,, i like that idea , did you set up a new Text Style for Roofs to do that ? I assume it's using the Default Text style now as I can't figure out it's setting.....did I miss that in one of your new videos ? (Thanks again for those BTW ...excellent) 

M.

Thanks Wendy,, i like that idea , did you set up a new Text Style for Roofs to do that ? I assume it's using the Default Text style now as I can't figure out it's setting.....did I miss that in one of your new videos ? (Thanks again for those BTW ...excellent) 

M.

I think I just changed the color of the Roofs, Labels layer.  And nope, not in the videos.  Maybe next week - labels....

One thing I've suggested previously was separate labels for Sections/Elevations than for Plans.  My primary thought for this was for annotating walls.  But there are really several places where it would be nice to have:

Rooms

Roofs (both Elevation & Sections - but with different appearance)

Walls 

Wall Sections

There are undoubtedly other cases but this thread has indicated a few more.

I think I just changed the color of the Roofs, Labels layer.  And nope, not in the videos.  Maybe next week - labels....

You did :)  , I was looking for a text style or default after watching your videos yesterday , didn't occur to me that the colour was Layer assigned not a Text style.

thanks,

Mick.