Symbol Sizing Limitation ?

TheKitchenAbode

Go to solution Solved by Dermot,

Trying to resize the contemporary glass sconce from the main catalog library. I can adjust the width & depth however it will only permit me to adjust the height down to a minimum of 5 15/16". Any attempt below this height and the symbol automatically resets to 5 15/16". Is this an inherent limitation or is there a setting or method that I am unaware of? Using X7.

Thanks,

Graham

Hm, I tried it with no luck, kept reverting as graham noted. Did you check it in 3d after? Tried zones, planes. My thought was it has to fit an electric box?

I tried in 3D and it still would not reduce in height less than 5 15/16". Also thought that it might be due to an electrical box, but it does allow me to reduce the width, tested that down to 1/16", same for the depth.

Graham

Sorry Graham, I wasn't clear. I get the same result as you. It appears to work in the dbx, reverts in after its closed.

" Try in 3 D?" was directed at Alaska son since who said it works. How about a screen shot with it at 4?

Sorry Graham, I wasn't clear. I get the same result as you. It appears to work in the dbx, reverts in after its closed.

" Try in 3 D?" was directed at Alaska son since who said it works. How about a screen shot with it at 4?

No problem Mark. I thought you were just asking for additional feedback back, makes sense. I know I have also had this issue with the bonus catalog pendant lights. Use the glass jar ones a fair bit over islands. If memory serves me correctly they also will not infinitely adjust in the height direction. Also when they auto place to the ceiling the device box shows below the ceiling plane. Have to set ceiling offset -1" to flush the cover plate.

Graham

Here is a symbol straight from the bonus library. Glass Jar Pendant 03. Drop in floor plan - View with 3d Camera - Click on Object. Use handles to resize. Everything works fine except when you try to reduce the fixtures overall height under 20 1/2" (I am not referring to ceiling height). Have played with Zones, the bounding box will change but the model inside does not. Mark seems to be experiencing the same thing, anyone else?

Many Thanks,

Graham

Glass Jar Pendant 03.calibz

Here is a symbol straight from the bonus library. Glass Jar Pendant 03. Drop in floor plan - View with 3d Camera - Click on Object. Use handles to resize. Everything works fine except when you try to reduce the fixtures overall height under 20 1/2" (I am not referring to ceiling height). Have played with Zones, the bounding box will change but the model inside does not. Mark seems to be experiencing the same thing, anyone else?

Many Thanks,

Graham

Yes,   I too was having problems with fully manipulating the symbol.  I was trying to minimize the "cord" that supports the light itself to 1/4"  long.  I think I got it down to roughly 6"long.....  over 5" from  my goal.  Sorry I was of no more help.

So, I stand corrected.  I guess it didn't resize properly for me afterall.  I guess I only looked at the dbx numbers and not the actual drawing so much.  Here's what I get...

If I open a new plan, draw a wall, place the fixture on the wall, and resize it to say 1" x 1" x 1", all is well as far as the dbx numbers are concerned.  The 3D preview is definitely wrong but the numbers stick. 

I click okay and then open the fixture again...numbers are still good (preview is still wrong though). 

I can open and close as many times as I want and the numbers will remain 1"x1"x1". 

As soon as I open a 3D view though, the height will revert as the rest of you have stated.  After I open the 3D view, the numbers will revert every single time...even once the 3D view is closed.  In other words, there is definitely a problem with the fixture, but the problem changes a bit once a 3D view is created.  Very buggy.

• Solution

One of our more curious developers looked into this yesterday.  He discovered that there is a hardcoded limit built into Chief that won't allow you to resize any electrical object less then 1/2 of the original height.  This limit is only checked at the time the 3D data is built so you will only notice the change after viewing it in a camera view.  This code has been in Chief since as far back as our source control system allows us to see (around 1998).  Although I am quite sure this limit was put in for some specific reason, we are not able to determine what that reason might be.  We will probably remove this limit in the future as long as testing can't find any side effects.

For now, you could probably create your own modified symbol by first converting it into a fixture, resizing it, and then converting it back into an electrical object.

Thanks Dermot - That was my suspicion. Appreciate the work around suggestion, will give it a try. The dilemma of not remembering why something done before made sense at the time is not unique to programing. Happens to me all the time. I'd be really proud if it was only things I did as far back as 1998, its usually something I did the day prior. :(

Thanks,

Graham