Wall Sections In Chief

4hotshoez

I am not sure what I need to do as I have created a wall section in one project and made a CAD Block to copy it over for another project, but I need to make some modifications to the Section for the other project. When I copy it in as a block it looks ok, but when I explode it to edit it, information disappears and all layers are on. Is this normal? What might I be doing wrong?

post-2194-0-42509800-1427384770_thumb.png

post-2194-0-60924100-1427384798_thumb.png

Todd,

Create a CAD Detail Window in your new Plan.

Marque select your detail from the other Plan - Copy (Ctrl_C)

Go to the new CAD Detail Window and Paste (Ctrl_V)

This is much easier.

For most details I use a separate Detail Plan that is at the scale I use for details.  For Wall Sections I usually create them from Sections - Auto Detail - CAD Detail from View - Trim to eliminate everything except the area that I want and then annotate.

Note:  You might just have the Layers not displayed - try turning on "ALL LAYERS".

I found something that is ANNOYING that may have been around before me. I have created a few extra CAD layers for control. I noticed that when I set one of my CAD layers to be current, it will change back to CAD, Default if I go to the plan and back to look at something. I would like it to remember which ever layer I left it on, and not on some default. 

Todd,

I reckon that could be a bug - or it could be by design.

As you say:

Set the Current Cad Layer in plan view.

Switch to 3D view.

Come back to plan view.

The Current Cad Layer has switched back to the default cad layer.

Same thing happens in X6.

It's worth a bug report.

This has been confusing to me at times (creating CAD details in different anno sets ... jumping back and forth between anno sets, etc.).  I think I do this more often then I care to admit.  Bring a CAD detail from a previous plan into a new one, unblock it to maybe do some editing, and then have to try and figure out why I can't see stuff ... which layers were used when I created the detail, etc.  I tried to ask Dan Baumann about this in a GTM a couple of weeks back but I don't think he understood what I was talking about ... and I am not so sure I have it all figured out yet either.  Still a work-in-progress for me. 

I have only half figured out the full benefit of anno sets and the default CAD layer was set to something I did not want. Nevertheless, I switch layers often and go back and forth to the plan and detail so now that I do understand what is driving the change it is still annoying as I would like it to remember what I was using last when I switch to the plan. This is over automation or less user friendly.