MANY wall corners

C4Adrafting

I received this floor plan PDF from an architect. This looks like my worst nightmare!

Can anyone offer a clue as to the methods I would use to create the wall corners that I have circled in the attached image? I can't get the walls to clean up correctly.

Thanks very much.

Screenshot.png

21 hours ago, C4Adrafting said:

Yeah, I thought as much...thanks very much for the guidance.

Now, time to get to work!

Allow me to offer a suggestion. Where you might use a solid, consider using a slab instead. 

On my computer, 3D solids will not auto update their line weights from one layer set to another. This has been an issue ever since a solid and 3d solid where combined into a single tool.

You could also use a countertop which is setup to receive the baseboard / crown moldings. Then copy / paste and adjust as needed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So he or she designs, and you do the con docs?  Or are you to 3D this and provide renderings.

Looks like a poche-fill section cut at about 48" above floor, niches and fancy doorways, and everything on an angle is at 45.  Chief can do this fancy plan view style option (all wall lines black, all layers fill black) so we can bill at a higher rate.

If it's a con docs scope, I'd ask the client, hey, I cannot imagine I'm your first drafter, how about sharing with me some con docs you have from a couple jobs already built, so I can see the program.

This morning I traced everything and used Ryan's 2x2 wall idea in a few areas.

image.thumb.png.49ac0352ff81f159175965ad775ccb6a.png

I noted those walls that needed to be 2x2 (and 2x8 in the case of three walls).  The two bathroom 2x8 walls aren't required - but chief won't automatically draw the openings as "through" unless they are closer together.  I'm not sure why the architect drew the one Greatroom wall using 2x8.  Everywhere else 2x6 works fine.

For me personally, Chief has never shown angled corner framing correctly - it only draws full studs.  But if I can draw the wall, the framer chalks it, then cuts all top/bottom plates to match, then goes back later to create the corners using studs with ripped angles.  For this reason I rarely show wall framing.  Chief also doesn't handle firestopping issues created by doubled/angled walls and the chases/spaces they create within.  A framer knows how to deal with this in the field.      

It would be nice to see the Architect's framing plan, to see what they intended.  Too much of this easily matched up for me to blindly repeat my tired mantra that architects should be required to frame 5 years min. before being licensed - like most of our trades are.

Hope this helps.