Exporting pictures

BrentP

Go to solution Solved by DBCooper,

I produce images like this for clients often and most of the time the quality is fine because they are only viewed on a PC. But sometimes a client wants to have them blown up and printed for marketing. Obviously the image is pixelated badly when you zoom in or it is blown up. I have tried many different ways of exporting the image to increase quality and can't get it any better than the attached. surely there's a way to get better than this right? It would be amazing if the quality when zoomed in was the same as when zooming in while working in chief.

Thanks for any advice.

Untitled 1.jpg

12 hours ago, BrentP said:

different ways of exporting the image to increase quality and can't get it any better than the attached

Not really for onscreen Viewing unfortunately, but you could add this as a suggestion for higher Res. exports over in the Suggestions Forum, but that maybe a Standard Camera and PBR will look better , but lighting will need to be worked with.

M.

5 hours ago, DBCooper said:

You can already specify the image resolution to be whatever you want.  

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5316/high-definition-image-export-with-transparency.html?playlist=108

Have you tried it in X16 ? I haven't but it didn't really used to make much difference in the past that I noticed..... the default exports are a bit lacklustre.

M.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Have you tried it in X16 ? I haven't but it didn't really used to make much difference in the past that I noticed.....

M.

Hmmm not a legitimate Question DB ?  

M

I wasn't the one the downvoted you and it seems like a legit question to me though.  I did not try it in X16 but it has always worked in the past for me.  Have you tried it recently?

Not recently, as it hasn't in the Past , Screenshots with the Snipping Tool do as good or better, I found, hence the Comment as believe me I have tried.

Maybe it is working better in X16 ?

M.  

A screen capture will never give you better than screen resolution.  Even if you have a 4K monitor, that will not make an image that will work well for a marketing poster.  The File->Export Picture tool will let you make as big of an image as you want.  It can generate a very large file though.  If you do the math for a 600 dpi image for a 24"x36" poster, that will be a lot of pixels.

3 hours ago, KevinWaldron said:

I've used this program for years....... It does work great.

kw

PhotoZoom Pro

https://www.benvista.com/

I have use Topaz Gigapixel for 3-4 years , but this year they released Topaz Phot AI which incorporates their 4 former Apps, Gigapixel is the only only one still being developed on it own now though.

TOPAZ LABS

4 hours ago, DBCooper said:

A screen capture will never give you better than screen resolution.  Even if you have a 4K monitor, that will not make an image that will work well for a marketing poster.  The File->Export Picture tool will let you make as big of an image as you want.  It can generate a very large file though.  If you do the math for a 600 dpi image for a 24"x36" poster, that will be a lot of pixels.

At the Default Settings for an export of the Active Window, except the DPI , which ! use 300 DPI with Pixels not Units the files are 200-500Kb in Size and the Snipping Tool does about the same and I find I sometime prefer the Snipping Tool Images for some reason. At Chief's Default settings with 72DPI ( which is web browser standard of old ) things look blurry on my 2K monitor, but I found 600DPI doesn't change much as far as "Resolution" visually on a Monitor, for a Graphic Artist it may indeed be better.

The Big difference, is seen when you Set the Default Pixels to Units , then the File Size and Resolution can be nearly unlimited , and file sizes massive as you noted BUT visually if viewed on a monitor or in a Layout PDF, I don't see much real difference , so I think the OP would need to know what Standards and Size the Graphic Designer Needs before outputting, and some skill at post processing is likely a good thing as well.

I may have missed it somewhere in the Manual but I don't think the need to Set Pixels to Units do do this is mentioned, just that it "alters size" but this is a screengrab for those not familiar with it....

image.thumb.png.cab9f837a36f8a8e9108dcf3f6b82f28.png

If you are in Pixels mode and increase the DPI value without also increasing the number of pixels, all that does is change the metadata in the generated image. This may affect the physical size at which some programs import the image (with higher densities meaning the image will appear smaller), but it won't change its sharpness.

image.thumb.png.c89e513b48b160670ae93a4773c7c66d.png

You don't need to switch to units to export a high resolution image.  You just need to uncheck "use active window size".  

Depending on what works better for you, you can either specify the image size in terms of pixels or in terms of size/dpi.  Either way, if it generates more pixels than what is on your screen, it will look much better than a screen capture.

My guess is that it will also look better than making a smaller image and using some other program to make it bigger.  I could be wrong because now that those programs are using AI they could theoretically "enhance" the picture so that it looks even better.  You might end up with some doors that have 3 handles and a cabinet with 4 sinks though.  :)

12 minutes ago, BenMerritt said:

If you are in Pixels mode and increase the DPI value without also increasing the number of pixels, all that does is change the metadata in the generated image. This may affect the physical size at which some programs import the image (with higher densities meaning the image will appear smaller), but it won't change its sharpness.

image.thumb.png.c89e513b48b160670ae93a4773c7c66d.png

Thanks Ben, you may want to have Nigel update the Documentation , and perhaps you can update the Video on this topic and cover it in a bit more depth for everyone,

as it seems counter-intuitive to me at least to uncheck "Active Window" after Framing your shot etc and that's not mentioned in the Docs either, what I was thinking seems to be reinforced by the 1st 60 secs of the current video linked above.

M.

14 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

You might end up with some doors that have 3 handles and a cabinet with 4 sinks though.  :)

:)  actually I am finding AI makes a mess when increase resolution, size of pics as it's "guessing" in a lot of cases and seems to blur/blend many elements, even though the image is bigger.. 

22 hours ago, BrentP said:

than you all for the help. the trick was switching to units when exporting.

It's a much cleaner image. obviously a large file though.

Untitled 2.jpg

If you don't mind some constructive criticism, can you tilt your camera so the house doesn't look like it's tilting back?

Maybe change the field of view in the camera tab of the "edit active view" dialogue box to 45%, might help to get a closer shot with less perspective distortion, (for lack of a better term)

Otherwise, nice work!

13 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

If you don't mind some constructive criticism, can you tilt your camera so the house doesn't look like it's tilting back?

i was going to mention the same. I find that if the walls are vertical it looks better. The leftmost wall in the pic I find distracting as it slopes inward.

You can also get a better PDF image by sending the camera to a 24x36 layout and CA save to PDF to 24x36. larger image at same dots per inch equals better looking image

13 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

Maybe change the field of view in the camera tab of the "edit active view" dialogue box to 45%, might help to get a closer shot with less perspective distortion, (for lack of a better term)

You can get 2 point perspective (vertical corners) if you set your camera Tilt Angle to zero.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, glennw said:

You can get 2 point perspective (vertical corners) if you set your camera Tilt Angle to zero.

I did not know that.

And to think I've been fussing with my camera all these years, since X6.

never too old to learn.  thanks!