Dummy needs help

raltd9245

Bit of a big topic Ron, with lots of opinions I am sure, but for me I don't use Rich Text except in specifics cases nowadays, as Normal Text with Text Styles

is much more configurable on the fly, just using the Layer the Text is on, change it there from 6" high to 4.5 " and it ALL changes throughout the Plan.

M.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Bit of a big topic Ron, with lots of opinions I am sure, but for me I don't use Rich Text except in specifics cases nowadays, as Normal Text ( with Text Styles )

is much more configurable on the fly, just using the Layer the Text is on, change it there from 6" high to 4.5 " and it ALL changes throughout the Plan.

M.

Thanks it is still confusing to me "HELP" isn't help. I'm surprised you R the only reply.

3 minutes ago, raltd9245 said:

Thanks it is still confusing to me "HELP" isn't help. I'm surprised you R the only reply.

To be honest I was surprised there were no other answers too, but the whys and why nots are not covered well in the help file as far as I know, I checked the KB and there is nothing there either.

M.

1 hour ago, raltd9245 said:

Can someone explain Rich TXT VRS Regular TXT AND USES FOR EACH

38 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I checked the KB and there is nothing there either.

I did a Google and this blurb below came up.  Essentially text that allows complex formatting.  It's not unique to Chief, and is common with other software.

What is Rich Text Format?

Rich Text Format (RTF) refers to a digital text format that goes beyond Plain Text by allowing formatting and styling features. With Rich Text, you can include various markups and formatting features such as bold or italic text, different font sizes, colors, lists, block quotes, etc. This makes the Rich Text more visually expressive and versatile.

Here's a website that explains in detail.

https://buttercms.com/blog/what-is-rich-text/

1 hour ago, raltd9245 said:

Can someone explain Rich TXT VRS Regular TXT AND USES FOR EACH.

I use each type of text. As I use colour in my plans: I have regular text in a blue colour at a specific size for the appropriate SPV - it also has the automatic (blue) arrow. All of my rich text is the colour red and again sized for the SPV requirements. RT has the ability to pull (red) arrows from the text box.

So, I have two texts with matching coloured arrows at my finger tips - both used for different types of notes:  blue is for DESCRIPTION / IDENTIFICATION type notes, bright red is for DIRECTION / CAUTION type notes.

Ron 1939-2024

For a second there I thought you might be posting from the great beyond.  :)

Both rich text and plain text have some pros and cons.  I use both but probably use plain text way more often than rich text.

Rich text can handle multiple fonts, colors, and sizes all within the same object.  Rich text can't use text styles though and text styles can be super powerful.  The only thing you can change through layers is the color and that only works if you don't change any of the colors in your rich text. 

Plain text can only have one font, one color, and one size within the same object.  Plain text can be setup to use text styles though which can make it much easier to change lots of text very quickly.   

Another thing to keep in mind is that there is a preference that lets you choose whether the leader line tool creates rich text or plain text.  Also, you can convert plain text to rich text using an edit button but there is no similar tool to convert it back.

If you want more info, these videos cover both rich text and plain text:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/253/using-text-text-styles-and-rich-text.html?playlist=99

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/78/text-and-arrow-tools.html?playlist=99

12 hours ago, DBCooper said:

Rich text can handle multiple fonts, colors, and sizes all within the same object.  Rich text can't use text styles though and text styles can be super powerful.  The only thing you can change through layers is the color and that only works if you don't change any of the colors in your rich text. 

Plain text can only have one font, one color, and one size within the same object.  Plain text can be setup to use text styles though which can make it much easier to change lots of text very quickly.   

This is the Method I also use nowadays too, Text ....and Text styles can do almost everything Rich Text can do, it does take a bit of work to make the text styles but those you can build over time as needed in your Templates.

Mick. 

6 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

This is the Method I also use nowadays too, Text ....and Text styles can do almost everything Rich Text can do, it does take a bit of work to make the text styles but those you can build over time as needed in your Templates.

Mick. 

THANK YOU, Much appreciated

I always thought that in principle “rich text” was more affluent than standard text :lol:.

Thank you for the clear explanations above, my suspicions have been confirmed.

I use Rich text on a limited basis in Layout pages. The primary benefit is that if I create a table in a text editor (Open Office), which I will use for something like a contact list or data table, then when I paste in the Rich Text, the table is maintained. 

There is likely a much better way to do this in the current version of CA but I am lazy and slow to change. I need to get more robust with my use of Note schedules and will likely be able to abandon this method soon. The other use case for Rich Text is a line of text like " lowercase and then UPPERCASE BOLD"

14 minutes ago, Gawdzira said:

I use Rich text on a limited basis in Layout pages.

Also one of the Few Places I use Rich Text still so I can use various Text elements Like Bold, underline, Upper Case, Lower case etc all in one Text block, it just more convenient in this case but there are only usually a few occurences so Copy paste if needed is still quick enough.

M.