Importing terrain data

ericepv

On 6/21/2024 at 9:20 PM, Mark3D said:

Give this file a go its a bit rough I think it will be good enough i drew over the pdf in a app concepts with apple pencil then exported it to dxf you just need to import scale it and give the lines elevation heights

elevations.dxf 1.5 MB · 4 downloads

IMG_1121.png

Thank you Mark, it'll take awhile but it just may do the trick.

7 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

What is the goal here and why is the surveyor not on the team?  Is it to be able to view proposed buildings at various places on the acreage, all in 3D?

Using the resources available, that's the goal. Lack of surveyor participation is unfortunate but irrelevant at this point.

15 hours ago, ericepv said:

Using the resources available, that's the goal. Lack of surveyor participation is unfortunate but irrelevant at this point.

If you still need help with this site plan, let me know.  I have a program that uses Google Earth data to generate a 3D of the site and I should be able to help you with this.  All I should need is the lat long coordinates of one of the property line corners so I can locate it on Google Earth.

9 minutes ago, parkwest said:

If you still need help with this site plan, let me know.  I have a program that uses Google Earth data to generate a 3D of the site and I should be able to help you with this.  All I should need is the lat long coordinates of one of the property line corners so I can locate it on Google Earth.

Just as a general FYI about Google Earths accuracy, and in regards to this post, it's not going to be nearly as accurate as the survey that he has, though he certainly could use a combination of the survey and what you would provide.
Google Earth interpolates from section to section where a section is a resolution of 30 meters by 90 meters. It will miss things hidden by trees or incorrectly interpret retaining walls etc. It can be off as much as 2M at times. Google gets my lot way off, and in general doesnt do well with dense forest hills for instance.
I use it as well but not when it comes to anything important regarding terrain :)

13 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Just as a general FYI about Google Earths accuracy, and in regards to this post, it's not going to be nearly as accurate as the survey that he has, though he certainly could use a combination of the survey and what you would provide.
Google Earth interpolates from section to section where a section is a resolution of 30 meters by 90 meters. It will miss things hidden by trees or incorrectly interpret retaining walls etc. It can be off as much as 2M at times. Google gets my lot way off, and in general doesnt do well with dense forest hills for instance.
I use it as well but not when it comes to anything important regarding terrain :)

I understand it may be hard to get absolutes in a dynamic environment... being perfect in an imperfect world could be quite costly... what, with earthquakes, slumps, flashfloods, tectonic plate movement, and those pesky bulldozers...  Reminds me of the time two engineers asked me if I set the bearing on the targets to plus or minus 0.0002 of a degree...

1 hour ago, parkwest said:

Worth considering, I'd like to learn more.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

Seems like this would be a good solution when you just need to get an overall look at things.

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2024 at 12:22 PM, Renerabbitt said:

LOL, was this for a 1:1000 miniature model?

LOL!  Try M60 tanks, SP's, 2.5 ton trucks, missile launchers, APC's, etc...  the engineers said their algorithm was set up to handle this degree of accuracy. roflmao  Imagine parallel parking a over 100 sixty ton tanks to that degree of accuracy. LOL

On 6/25/2024 at 1:17 PM, ericepv said:

Seems like this would be a good solution when you just need to get an overall look at things.

Exactly!  And it only takes a few minutes to generate...

I had a guy who wanted to put an addition on the back of his house and he told me the lot was flat.  The lot actually sloped up about 2 feet.

3 hours ago, parkwest said:

Exactly!  And it only takes a few minutes to generate...

I had a guy who wanted to put an addition on the back of his house and he told me the lot was flat.  The lot actually sloped up about 2 feets.

Perhaps tilted in his mind is flat, just not level flat.  I have had owners tell me that too.  

• Upvote 1