Auto Sheet Number Question

ACADuser

I have a project with two buildings and they are in separate plans & layout files

I want sheets A-1 through A-8 on one set & A-9 through A14 on the other.

Can this be setup for auto numbering?

Currently I use "A-0" in the layout LABEL and a text object for the sheet number %layout.label%

works well for one layout file but how to deal with the 2nd layout file?

Would I have to abandon layout file B and have two plans open & one layout file?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using more than one Plan File with a single Layout File.  I do that with almost all my projects as I have a lot of Standard Details that are in their own Plan File(s).  Opening the Layout File will open all the Plan Files associated with it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using more than one Plan File with a single Layout File.  I do that with almost all my projects as I have a lot of Standard Details that are in their own Plan File(s).  Opening the Layout File will open all the Plan Files associated with it.

I agree with this,  just not sure what this has to do with the question.

I agree with this,  just not sure what this has to do with the question.

Send the Floor Plans from Bldg 1 to sheets A-1 to A-8 and the Floor Plans from Bldg 2 to sheets A-9 to A-14.  Seems like the easiest solution to me.

House from one Plan, Detached Garage from another Plan & Barn from another Plan.

So you put a layout label macro on page 0 where the sheet number should go. You then "Edit Page Information" for each page and type A-9, etc., for the label. Clear?

Nope, not clear. What should the LABEL MACRO (your term) say?  Are you saying to individually edit each and every sheet number of the layout?  If that is what you are saying,  yes it is quite clear,  but not auto.  

"edit page information"?  What does that mean,  I am a novice,  edit it to say what?  Do I edit sheet zero or do I edit every sheet in layout?

I like the idea of one layout file & 2+ plan files. Did not know the layout file would open needed plan files.

How to copy objects on the layout you are retiring into the other layout file?

I'm not sure that can be done.  I'd just open Layout File #1, Plan File #1 & #2 and then send the views to the appropriate sheets.

I like the idea of one layout file & 2+ plan files. Did not know the layout file would open needed plan files.

How to copy objects on the layout you are retiring into the other layout file?

I am not sure what JC is talking about,  but I think you are asking if you can have two or more plan files associated with one layout and if that is the question the answer is yes.

Todd,

I found a way:

1.  Open Layout #2, select a Layout Box and use Ctrl_C to copy it to the Windows Clipboard.

2.  Close Layout #2 and open Layout #1

3.  Go to the Page you want and use Ctrl_V (Paste - Hold Position) to place the Layout Box.

You will need to do this for each Layout Box.  This is one case where having 2 instance of Chief open at the same time helps, since you don't have to go thru the Open/Close dance.

Nope, not clear. What should the LABEL MACRO (your term) say?  Are you saying to individually edit each and every sheet number of the layout?  If that is what you are saying,  yes it is quite clear,  but not auto.  

"edit page information"?  What does that mean,  I am a novice,  edit it to say what?  Do I edit sheet zero or do I edit every sheet in layout?

Here you go...

post-214-0-67727100-1425495791_thumb.png

post-214-0-51577700-1425495813_thumb.png

Here you go...

Thanks Richard,  but if I am not mistaken,  that is static and it is not changing...... as you add and delete pages in layout,  that number does not change.

You simply put that info on each page of layout.  If you have 100 pages to layout,  you would need to do that 100 times.  I was thinking that you were explaining something that was "live" "smart" and "every changing".