Siding sticking through roof

MN_JohnH

3 minutes ago, tundra_dweller said:

I think it also helps clean things up if you set the ceiling heights to the default in the 2nd floor rooms.

Yes, good point...several things to clean up, which are contributing...

Well, dragging that wall up didn't seem possible, it just kept coming back.
I set the ceilings to default and that didn't do anything but then I deleted a wall there, (I think, I was just fiddling around), and it fixed.

Still, why in the world would just the siding on any wall stick through the roof?
It's a rhetorical question, I am used to some things in Chief being just not explainable.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, MN_JohnH said:

Well, dragging that wall up didn't seem possible, it just kept coming back.
I set the ceilings to default and that didn't do anything but then I deleted a wall there, (I think, I was just fiddling around), and it fixed.

Still, why in the world would just the siding on any wall stick through the roof?
It's a rhetorical question, I am used to some things in Chief being just not explainable.

Thanks!

Per the plan I attached and notated above, it's the wall you have extended past the rooms that is causing the problem...delete it beyond the rooms and it will work cause the attic wall to act properly.  As mentioned, in follow up post, just some clean up of the model will make thinks work as expected.  I haven't had an offending attic wall like that before, but I keep my models pretty clean by not having extra walls and keeping all roofs connected without overlap, etc.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BenPalmer said:

Per the plan I attached and notated above, it's the wall you have extended past the rooms that is causing the problem...delete it beyond the rooms and it will work cause the attic wall to act properly.  As mentioned, in follow up post, just some clean up of the model will make thinks work as expected.  I haven't had an offending attic wall like that before, but I keep my models pretty clean by not having extra walls and keeping all roofs connected without overlap, etc.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, that does help.
The thing is, I never drew any extra walls or anything like that.
It's hard to know if a drawings has somehow gotten uncleaned up.
When I tried to pull that wall back like you suggested, it didn't let me. The wall just kept generating.
But I think when I went to a camera view and clicked on that section and deleted it and the rest seems to stay, I was basically accidentally doing the same thing you were saying to do.
Here is another puzzle that I assume is related to these walls somehow having become "unclean":
Both these roofs have boxed eves but I can't get the one side to build that way. I deleted it and mirror copied to correct one over and it is still the same and the one with the correct boxed in eve the gable frieze board doesn't go all the way down. I think it is like this in that plan I uploaded earlier.

So when you say you keep plans "clean", well is there a way to know they are "dirty"? As far as I know I didn't draw any extra walls or don anything unclean. I knew it had something to do with those walls and I was fiddling with them trying to get the siding to not protrude so at that point I may have done something that dirtied it up but the problem existed before that. How did you go about analyzing the problem?

image.thumb.png.2cea9199a45a5d39fadbabf2633436ce.png

For the boxed eaves, unchecking 'flush eave' should fix it.

As far as your random walls, I can't speak to that without seeing your process.  The only walls Chief creates automatically are attic walls (and island rooms).  Since those aren't attic walls, they were likely drawn by you, or changed from attic walls to normal walls at some point....or possibly some as-built walls since it looks like there used to be a room there...??  all guesses of course.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BenPalmer said:

As far as your random walls, I can't speak to that without seeing your process.  The only walls Chief creates automatically are attic walls (and island rooms).

and walls with no roof above. This is typically seen on multiple storey structures if your exterior walls between floors do not align perfectly. Use the align up or align down buttons to ensure they are in alignment (the buttons only show if they are slightly (a few inches) out of alignment. This is the majority of weird walls that I get

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure you posted the right version of the plan?  I'm not seeing the same thing as you and I am seeing the logs poking through the roof instead.

My best guess is that you are seeing an attic floor sticking out.  I have had that happen to me once and I fixed it by setting the floor layer to air gap.

log walls.jpg

Wow, this is really a bummer.
I saved the file and closed it and sent it. Now when I went to open it, I get the file you are showing.
Which means i just lost a crap ton of work. I can't find anything in the archives newer than that either.

I don't understand, I have always had my auto-save set at every 5 minutes.
I have at least an hour of work that is not in any of the auto archived plan files.

6 hours ago, MN_JohnH said:

I don't understand, I have always had my auto-save set at every 5 minutes.
I have at least an hour of work that is not in any of the auto archived plan files.

Did you look in your file folder to see if there is an auto back up file in there ?

You can search Chief Architect back up files. This link may help you out ?

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00099/accessing-your-archive-files.html

7 hours ago, mthd97 said:

Did you look in your file folder to see if there is an auto back up file in there ?

You can search Chief Architect back up files. This link may help you out ?

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00099/accessing-your-archive-files.html

Yes, I did that. The most recent is at least an hour before my issue.
I check preferences and I have it set at 5 minutes.
I think it had something to do with uploading the plan here, I don't now.
Doesn't matter now. I will start a new day and move on.

OK, I am back here again with the same problem recreated as I moved through this project.
I was watching it this time and it occurred when I changed the 2nd floor room to "open below" and it goes away when I change the upper room back to "unspecified"
I want the main floor room to have a vaulted ceiling.
I derived the second floor plan from the first floor plan and then sectioned it off using room divider.
Then I went back to the areas where I wanted the vaulted ceiling on the first floor, went to the 2nd floor rooms and changed to "open below".
Everything is good except this one spot.

image.png

Roof wall issue.plan

@MN_JohnH I got that rogue wall section to go away by putting a break in the 2nd floor wall where the roof transitions from the main gable to a hip roof. That whole wall is spec'd to be a hip wall even though the section of the wall at the main gable should be broke on both sides of the gable and spec'd as a gable wall, or draw a gable roof line outside of that section of the wall.

There are also issues with the roof baseline locations, they should usually be located on the outer edge of the exterior wall main layers. If you turn the roof baseline layer on when you are looking at the roof plan you can see the roof baselines are inside the room. This is usually caused by moving the roof planes around manually and can be a PITA when trying to calculate where your plate heights and roof plane elevations should be at in real life.

I don't have time to get into it further right now, but I can look at it again later if you're still having issues.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, just moving the baselines out to the outer edge didn't do it on my plan, the protrusion was still there but much less visible.
But I looked at your plan Mark and it seemed to work so...
Cutting the wall and making the gable section into a gable wall fixed it for me.
I never understood what the gable wall or hip wall types do, they have never really seemed to make a difference when I have played with them in the past so I didn't even think of trying those.
I also never paid attention to where the baseline is located, interior or exterior of the wall. I will pay attention to this going forward.

Thanks for diving into this and helping me out.

Looks like Eric solved your basic problem with NRD = No Room Definition, instead of open below.

Unfortunately with CA you need to build your model with the conventional methods otherwise you will get all those difficulties that Eric has highlighted in his video.

Once you get used of using those conventional methods, things will get better.

• Like 1