Wall movement jump distance in X15

RL-inc

Late to the party in regards to X15 upgrade but here I am.

Jumped from X13 -X15 so if this was something that was a change in X14 forgive me.

One thing I am noticing is a difference in some sizing and movement as I scroll in and out.

For instance, as I move walls

I need to scroll -zoom in fairly close to make smaller jumps - if I am zoomed out very far at all the jump is larger than I prefer.

see attached video.

In your video, do you see the red "X" when the wall jumps?  I think that means you picked up an "intersection" snap point so you must have something, maybe behind the picture, that you are snapping to.  Turn off object snaps and you won't see that happen.  If you want the wall to move on even increments, then you can turn on grid snaps and use the arrow keys like Mark suggested.

1 hour ago, DBCooper said:

turn on grid snaps and use the arrow keys

Note that arrow keys use the distance set for grid but will work with grid snaps off; they just won't snap to the grid but always move the distance set in default.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DBCooper said:

In your video, do you see the red "X" when the wall jumps?  I think that means you picked up an "intersection" snap point so you must have something, maybe behind the picture, that you are snapping to.  Turn off object snaps and you won't see that happen. 

DB,

I don't think the red cross is a plain old intersection snap.

I believe it is a Wall Intersection Extension Snap.

Like this when drawing continuous walls:

1727386984_Screenshot2024-02-26at9_15_37am.thumb.jpg.0e841554a93ad7adcff353a745dd014f.jpg

In the video the wall is snapping to itself.

Wall Intersection Extension Snaps

As walls are drawn, extension lines identify points that are either collinear or orthogonal to the end points of other walls. These extension lines identify potential intersection points and display only when Intersection Snaps are enabled. See Creating Walls.

Since he is moving the wall using the middle move handle I don't think it is exactly the same as what you are showing.  I think you are right that the wall is snapping to itself though since it looks like it is just picking up the other side of the wall.  I tried this in an old version X12 and it does the same thing so I don't think this is anything that was changed.  I guess I never really noticed this before but I am pretty sure turning off object snaps would prevent this regardless.

I don't think he is using the middle move handle to move the wall.

That grip will centre on the wall only for a short distance either side of the centre point.

It is not restricted to the centre of the wall - it will locate where you click on the wall.

Turning off Intersection Snaps or all Object Snaps prevents the use of Wall Intersection Extension Snaps because they share the same setting.

See the help file in my previous post.

This tool has been like this for yonks (as long as I can remember.

On 2/24/2024 at 2:01 PM, RL-inc said:

One thing I am noticing is a difference in some sizing and movement as I scroll in and out.

It's snapping and yeah it happens in larger jumps when you're zoomed out, which is normal. Maybe you had snaps off in your previous version?

Also, you can hold down the Alt(Control?)* key to temporarily suppress snaps so you don't get that behavior.

(*Not sure which key on the PC but it's the Command key on the Mac)

• Upvote 1

On 2/25/2024 at 3:19 PM, glennw said:

This tool has been like this for yonks (as long as I can remember.

Thanks for the meaning. You learn something

new every day. BTY, just for the record, 'as long

as you can remember' and 'a very long time

aren't necessarily the same thing. ;)

yonks.thumb.PNG.fa0dbe0a4c34c8756fe4cfd223cd0595.PNG

yonks.thumb.PNG.fa0dbe0a4c34c8756fe4cfd223cd0595.PNG