FLIPPING A PLAN - FRONT TO BACK

mscpbd

Can anyone tell me the best way to flip a house in Chief X15 front to back - not side to side. I have a client that now wants the back of the house to be the front. If I flip the house all the text stays as is and it's upside down, is there a trick that I'm missing?

Debra

I'm curious if anyone else has any clever solutions to this but I don't think there's a good solution unfortunately.

Overall the good news is that manually flipping every piece of text on the plan, while arduous, is a lot easier than redrawing the whole thing again!

The only tip I know to give here is: Edit Area effectively selects the Rooms, so room specs are retained.

And while Room Labels also flop, they auto correct when they're hidden and shown again. If you select a room and use the Marquee Select Same tool you can select and open all rooms, hide labels, open them again and show them again and they'll all be good. Then you just have to rotate the actual text objects. Might just hide all layers but the Text so you can more easily see them all. The All Layers Off layerset is handy for that sorta thing.

Edit Area All Floors, then while selected you use the Transform-Replicate tool to Reflect the selected structure top to bottom. I have never tried this specifically but it should work.

If I were you, I would first make a copy of this plan file before using the above method, so if you get unwanted results you have the original to fall back on.

DJP

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The two posts above are spot on. I spent a good amount of time yesterday not flipping but having to rotate buildings 90 deg. I used the edit area & transform-replicate tools.

Most text and labels then have to be individually dealt with, and for object labels in many cases you have to uncheck "Auto Adjust Text Direction" in the label dialogue to get the labels to stay oriented how you want.

But yes, save a copy of the plan first and be ready to use ctrl-z to get back to square one if things go haywire.

Thanks everyone! It's not the first time I've run into this, and when you do flip the plan, if you add new text it adds it upside down! I wish there was a way that we could tell the program that  THIS wall will be the new front and everything will know to orient to the new angle.

20 minutes ago, mscpbd said:

if you add new text it adds it upside down! 

One thing you can try is going into your default settings for your active view and change the default angle of the text so any new text would come in at this angle. You would have to do this for regular and rich text if you use them both.

2023-09-27_10-44-51.thumb.png.234220a09785ed11314f8f23b1748811.png

If I were you, I would first make a copy of this plan file before using the above method, so if you get unwanted results you have the original to fall back on.

This is excellent guidance.

When doing any big plan changes, it can be helpful to go to > Manage Auto Archives. 

...and then do the "trial run" on the archived copy.

On 9/28/2023 at 1:24 AM, mscpbd said:

Thanks everyone! It's not the first time I've run into this, and when you do flip the plan, if you add new text it adds it upside down! I wish there was a way that we could tell the program that  THIS wall will be the new front and everything will know to orient to the new angle.

It sounds to me like you may have used Rotate Plan View which really doesn't rotate the plan - it rotates the drawing sheet.

This may have some unintended and unwanted results like rotating the coordinate system and snap and reference grids.

Have a look in the help file.

• Like 1

I can think of a whole lot of different ways to do this:

- select everything (using either select all or marquee select) and then use the "reflect about object" tool.

- select everything and then use the "transform/replicate" dialog to reflect vertically.

- use the edit area tool instead of first selecting everything.  One advantage of this tool is that you can do all floors at one time.

- "reverse" the plan first, and then rotate it 180 degrees using either select all, edit area, or transform/replicate.  I would not recommend using the "rotate plan view" tool though because this has some weird side effects (as mentioned by Glenn above).

- probably some others I forgot about.

I don't think it really matters how you do it though.  The end result is that most of your text and room labels will be upside down and then you will need to fix them.  I have not figured out any good way to get around this.