Auto story pole elevation: how to get top/foundation to read true and not top of mudsill?

GeneDavis

Go to solution Solved by DG1949,

Am I missing this in the default settings for auto story pole?  I'd like my extension line to be picking up top of stemwall.  I know that the mudsill is considered part of the stemwall in Chief modeling, but is there a workaround for this?

Thanks, Glenn.  I have learned to edit the storypole elevation markers and names to do what I want, which is to show top of foundation wall (not mudsill), but only in a section view.  I cannot find a way to pick it up in elevation.  Pics show my section and my elevation.  I only want the elevation in the con docs.

Screenshot 2023-07-07 220750.png

Screenshot 2023-07-07 220855.png

12 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

I have learned to edit the storypole elevation markers and names to do what I want

This may be the heart of your problem. I can't diagnose it without your plan, but something is wrong in your settings. It works for me automatically:

1579623951_ScreenShot2023-07-08at9_57_09AM.thumb.png.8cade08b999ad2356d1b43fcda4944bb.png

Check your Default settings for Auto Story Pole Dimensions. Make sure "Top of Foundation" is included and that when selected, the "Reset" option is dim meaning it's the OOB marker name. If it does allow you to reset the name, that means you changed the name of a different marker, possibly Top of Wall (which references the sill plate):

1874260718_ScreenShot2023-07-08at10_25_40AM.thumb.png.4aae320ba94a1025a450657363ce8256.png

It also works with the OOB Residential Template:

36693388_ScreenShot2023-07-08at10_07_12AM.thumb.png.62215ce386d57987aa9bb2315c41a8a6.png

It is picking up top of mudsill, and I could not change the pick point in elevation view.  So I changed the text to "Top of mudsill" so as not to confuse the builder.

Here is my storypole setup.  Foundation top is unchanged from OOB X15.

2020652349_Screenshot2023-07-08155743.thumb.png.6c661695b417cc6f8a810fc79ca61c5d.png

Here is a closeup of my elevation with the storypole dimensions and elevation markers.  I put a line with arrows (red) depicting top of subfloor down to top of foundation.  3/4 subfloor, 11 7/8 framing, 1 1/2 mudsill, total 14 1/8.  As can be seen, it picks up TOP of mudsill, so I edited the text of the elevation marker to read that.  You can see the mudsill I placed with CAD (yellow) so things are clear.

1957949032_Screenshot2023-07-08155920.thumb.png.75c4b59ebbd0f1398a24687245c979bf.png

So I think, maybe if I take a section view rather than an elevation view, see what happens.  Here it is, and whereas the elevation marker in the elevation view (before I edited it to read top of mudsill) read "top of foundation" in the elevation view, here, because it is picking the top of the plate of the furred basement wall, it is reading TOP OF PLATE.  Foundation top is not being picked.1693261940_Screenshot2023-07-08160300.thumb.png.c915e22c5f3bbf57423ac65edff26d0e.png

No I did not check it in a new OOB template.  I suspect it's misbehaving in this plan because it got some radical surgery.

I was completely done and framed with heavy editing done to all the wall framing and roof and floor framing.  Then, to improve floor performance, the floorframe went from using 9.5" i-joists to the deeper 11.875" ones, and I changed the plan by dropping the basement floor 2-3/8", then editing all the foundation walls to drop the top and bottoms and footings down the 2-3/8", then isolating all the lower floor framing with a layerset and dropping it the same.  The plan is perfect in 3D, and all the room specs look as they should in floor 0.

Gene,

I have spent a bit of time going over the posts and playing with the Auto Storey Pole settings.

I think the problem could be caused by the absence of a check mark in the Outer column for the Top Of Foundation line.

I think there was a post of your dbx which showed this checked though.

But,.....in the absence of any other cause, can you go back and make sure that box has a check mark.

I think the Inner Dimension locates Top of Foundation automatically, Outer doesn't.

It looks like you are only using an Outer Dimension.

Have a play with the above in combination with the Inner Dimension setting on the General panel.

Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 10.35.11 am.jpg

• Solution

When I manually add a "furring wall" to the inside of the concrete stem wall and refresh the auto story pole dim, it adds 1-1/2" to the "top of Foundation" elevation. 

If I create a foundation wall that includes the furring wall from the start, it works correctly. Is yours manual, or part of your "foundation wall" type?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DG1949 said:

When I manually add a "furring wall" to the inside of the concrete stem wall and refresh the auto story pole dim, it adds 1-1/2" to the "top of Foundation" elevation. 

If I create a foundation wall that includes the furring wall from the start, it works correctly. Is yours manual, or part of your "foundation wall" type?

that's one that should be reported, as that shouldn't happen and my guess is they didn't find that during testing.

M.

I just submitted a case and included a simple plan file, the plan with furred wall one end placed manually, and furred wall opposite end defined in foundation wall.  The story pole reporting is done both ends and is as discussed here.  It won't pick top of foundation with a manually build furred wall adjacent the foundation wall.

7 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

I just submitted a case and included a simple plan file, the plan with furred wall one end placed manually, and furred wall opposite end defined in foundation wall.  The story pole reporting is done both ends and is as discussed here.  It won't pick top of foundation with a manually build furred wall adjacent the foundation wall.

Thanks Gene , typically I don't "fur" walls anymore and simply change the Walltype to a Furred basement Walltype if needed as furred walls have issues of their own ( or can ) so it would of fooled me too possibly and likely others too, possibly without realizing it, which could be an issue.

M.

I'm back to report what happened after submitting a case to Chief.

Here is what Roy R at Chief suggested as a workaround.  This, to get a storypole elevation for top of foundation when the furred wall is separately placed.

1. With an elevation view, generate the storypole dimension.  It'll not pick up top of foundation, but pick up top of plate instead.
  2. In plan view, move the elevation camera inside the building.
  3. Select the storypole dimension, and edit it by selecting the extension picking the plate, moving it to the top of foundation.
  4. The elevation line text might need to be edited (mine did not and changed to top of foundation) so edit as needed.
  5. Go back to plan view, and move the camera back outside where it was.

And this worked!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Gene. Usually my workaround for this type of situation is to use the delete surface tool multiple clicks until the framing I'm looking for is exposed and then drag the dimension handle to it, then hit F12 to redraw to replace the deleted surfaces. This is a much more "elegant" workaround.