Pony Wall - Brick Cap Question

JKEdmo

Good morning,

I'm working on an as-built set and am trying to model this brick condition (circled):

image.thumb.png.0994d2ac0578ca21119999fe6de0d2b1.png

I've got it looking pretty good with the exception of the brick cap snaking vertically down the wall.  Is this expected behavior?

image.thumb.png.ffd5d063b847bf90df866372c89696b6.png

image.thumb.png.15159ed445e531b202eeacf42816e885.png

Thanks again for looking at this.

Jim

I think "expected' depends on the situation, but regardless there's just no control to make it do/not do that. It just *does*.

Though apparently if the cap splits the walls it doesn't do that. But you don't want that.

Making wall type copies technically fixes it but breaks it in another way

image.thumb.png.532df2f0e0487ea05074c2360cb39b60.png

Maybe that's acceptable, but I also don't think it'll be possible to get that little brick wrapping around the corner like in the photo - Chief will only allow a break a certain distance from the corner. That photo shows a single brick length wrapping and I think Chief'll fight you there.

Might do something like a thick cornerboard - but the cap will probably just need to be done manually.

2 hours ago, JKEdmo said:

Is this expected behavior?

I'm not sure it is, I haven't experienced that, not sure if new in X15 or I just haven't hit that particular situation so it might be worth submitting

as the Vertical is not the top of the wall where a Cap should be.

As for the Sill you can draw your own Brick Sill in Elevation  ( closed CAD LINES ) and save it to you Library as a Molding Profile.

image.thumb.png.2da5e1a0ce3c63fa744e022721e03086.png

5 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

it might be worth submitting

Mick,

I took your advice and submitted it to Chief so they can take a look at it.  We'll see what they have to say.

Thanks for the tip on creating the brick sill profile.

Jim

19 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

it might be worth submitting

I submitted and got a quick reply.  See below.

Looks like it's normal behavior, but they might try to improve it.

Jim

Hello Jim,

Thank you for contacting us regarding wall caps on stepped pony walls, and for sharing a link to your ChiefTalk post. As noted in that thread, there isn't a way to suppress vertical wall caps, and the best solution is to remove the wall cap from any stepped walls you may have in your plan and model separate wall caps using Molding Lines.

I will submit a request for a way to suppress vertical caps on individual walls to our Software Development team, and I will also bring to their attention the way wall caps build on collinear pony walls with different heights. Thank you for bringing both issues to our attention.

Regards,

Anne S.
Chief Architect Technical Support

@JKEdmoCurious,

if this is an as built, normally I would put in a wall material region and forget about the capping detail as the as builts I do are normally done in order to do something else to the house.

So I am curious, are you doing this to be asthetically correct or some other purpose?

curious more than anything

7 hours ago, JKEdmo said:

I submitted and got a quick reply.  See below.

Looks like it's normal behavior, but they might try to improve it.

Jim

Hello Jim,

Thank you for contacting us regarding wall caps on stepped pony walls, and for sharing a link to your ChiefTalk post. As noted in that thread, there isn't a way to suppress vertical wall caps, and the best solution is to remove the wall cap from any stepped walls you may have in your plan and model separate wall caps using Molding Lines.

I will submit a request for a way to suppress vertical caps on individual walls to our Software Development team, and I will also bring to their attention the way wall caps build on collinear pony walls with different heights. Thank you for bringing both issues to our attention.

Regards,

Anne S.
Chief Architect Technical Support

I am actually wonder if this is one of those Issues that has come back , I seem to now remember a similar issue 3-4 versions ago and it was corrected.

Perhaps someone who has been around a long time like Scott Hall  @dshall  or    Perry       @DRAWZILLA               remembers? .....

Mick.

54 minutes ago, SHCanada2 said:

normally I would put in a wall material region and forget about the capping detail as the as builts I do are normally done in order to do something else to the house.

So I am curious, are you doing this to be asthetically correct or some other purpose?

Jason,

I'm still learning the ins and outs of Chief.  It's only been a year...

First time adding a cap like this and was "stoked" by the result, until I saw this weird condition.  Just trying to be accurate and have the cap appear on the elevations.

I will look at your wall material region suggestion.  Thanks for the tip.

Jim

8 hours ago, JKEdmo said:

using Molding Lines

I go this route all the time.  Yes, its more lines on a default model, but you have so much more control.  

35 minutes ago, JKEdmo said:

I'm still learning the ins and outs of Chief.  It's only been a year

And IMO I think you have gained a lot of knowledge of this software in that one year..

3 hours ago, JKEdmo said:

I will look at your wall material region suggestion

The issue I typically have with the pony wall is the brick only goes to the top of the foundation wall. Here, the basement (foundation wall) typically rises above ground level by a foot or more. So then I end up wth the brick too hgh off the ground. 

The wall material region is simpler in my opinion (for asthetic as builts) and gives you the control to make into any shape. Plus you can define the thickness easily. but no wall cap is the tradeoff although I suppose you could do a molding on top..but I've never tried

my two cents...