Dimension problem

BruceKC

I'm not sure why some dimensions show a "line" where the two arrows meet, and others don't?  They should ALL show that line, but I'm unaware why this is happening.  In the picture I'm attaching, the two dimension arrows in the top left have a line where the arrows meet, and the two arrows in bottom center don't.  Very confusing.

chief dimension.jpg

There's just different ways the different dimension tools locate things.

Here's a Manual vs Interior vs Centerline, for example:

image.thumb.png.ce63efae938fdc955de66880ac931559.png

"how did this happen?" is tough to answer since dimensions draw differently when using different tools AND when using different Views/Defaults. So there's several variables, the Plan, the Defaults, the tool, these all affect how these things will behave.

Look at your current view's defaults, you can adjust how the dimensions will locate walls in the given plan view.

image.thumb.png.9fb65a246044f997694c92ed358777bc.png

Note that Manual, End to End, Centerline, and Interior tools all have separate settings.

Hi, and thanks for the input.  However my question is that while I have that line at the end of the arrows in the upper left of the drawing and the arrows go to the center of the wall, why don't the arrows at the bottom of the drawing (which also go to the center of the wall), have that same line?  They're all manual dimensions, it's driving me crazy.

I am trying to go through your dimension defaults and settings and they seem to be a bit of a mess.

First up though, the jumping dimensions are caused by the Fixed Proximity setting.

This would not normally be set as a default.

@BruceKC - have you tried to create a new test plan and dimension....if so, are you getting the same result? I'm wondering if it's a plan issue. Did you start this plan in an older version of Chief and bring it forward into X15?

I open X15, draw a quick test plan, set up the manual dimensions to grab the centers of interior walls and the dimensioning works fine. But - your plan doesn't...and I'm not sure why.   

Hi Steve, this plan was created in x14 and we've been working on it sporadically.  But it isn't just this plan, it's all of our plans for the past several years.  I noticed online that there has been discussion of this at least since 2019, but I don't see that there was any resolution.  Chief support has acknowledged that it's a problem and has sent the issue to the development team.  It's very curious, some people have the issue, some do not.

Glenn, I'm not sure how they are a bit of a mess, I've never changed the defaults to my knowledge.  I did recently look at them and saw a fixed proximity setting but didn't mess with it. 

Very interesting...

Is that line perhaps displaying as a precision indicator? perhaps with grid rounding? The dimension itself can be drawn with snap on or off but that line shows only when snap is on. (have not looked in manual to know)

The suppression of the line seems to be in relation to the direction through the wall, start and stop locations when pulling the dimension. There also seems to be a correlation to the distances between the located walls. Snap behavior on/off is definitely at play too.

For a moment it seemed the dimension line was recognizing and being altered by other elements not displayed and not included in the locate. Specifically floor joists.

One other aspect... if you end the dimension well away from the located walls but are snapped to or touching (with snap off) another dimension the line will show up. Draw it again in the same location and end only near the other dimension and it is suppressed. Almost like the other dimension 'unsuppressed' that line somehow.

Some of the above was repeatable but not necessarily every time. Perhaps due to multiple factors.

The issue with the extension lines disappearing is definitely a bug and something I've seen multiple times in my own plans.  Not sure what the trigger is either.  It seems super unpredictable.  Sometimes you can even get the extensions to come and go depending on where you position the dimension string and even on how quickly you move it (whether you move it all in one go or move it a little at a time).   The weird thing is that the extension is actually there.  You just can't see it.