Is there a way to print with the reference grid on?

J_Mack

Short answer is no.  I have found the best way to reproduce that effect is to use polyline hatching so you have control of the spacing and line style etc.  Just be sure to have grid snaps on when you place the perimeter.

image.thumb.png.62068846f709d42a2be2772b756d514d.png

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, J_Mack said:

I'd like for the reference grid to display on in my drawing when I print for a client. Is that possible? 

Print Screen of a blank template and then imported as a png file with no background.  Own layer and locked obviously.

Maybe this is a little extra, but it will print CAD, so:

1. Draw two CAD Lines, 1 vertical, 1 horizontal, intersecting at 0,0, long enough to be as big as you think you'd ever need.
  2. Set both to a new layer, something like "- grid"
  3. Transform/Replicate them +12"/-12" in both X and Y axis, again however many as you feel necessary.
  4. In Layer Display Options, check Modify All Layer Sets, change color, line style, and check "- grid" to be locked.

Now you can show/hide a grid whenever you want, change it's style, etc, on a per-view basis.

This would be a good thing to do in a blank plan and save in your template if it's somthing you need often.

Of course that only affects plan views. If you need it in Elevations too, you might select a chunk of the grid and create a CAD Block to save to your catalog. CAD Blocks don't save their Drawing group info though, so you'd have to Send to Back every time it's placed.

• Downvote 1

14 hours ago, glennw said:

Construction lines will display in both plan and elevation views.

This is true, Construction Lines were my first thought too, as they can be set to display infinite, however they still aren't ideal in Elevations since you'll only get vertical lines from the ones drawn in plan so you'd need to re-draw horizontal ones. But what's worse is Drawing Group can't be adjusted on Construction Lines in Elevation views.

I will often use a poly-line with a 12" grid (Fill) for electrical plans

...then call it "CAD Electrical" and turn this layer off for all other plan views. 

The electricians can count the boxes (grid) by the foot instead of having to measure. 

Recessed lights always invariably conflict with a floor joist and this method helps them calibrate some semblance of equal spacing. 

23 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Short answer is no.  I have found the best way to reproduce that effect is to use polyline hatching so you have control of the spacing and line style etc.  Just be sure to have grid snaps on when you place the perimeter.

This is a really good solution Chop. One single object with a spacing setting that can be easily and very quickly changed right along with any changes to the grid settings. 

Not sure it matters though whether snaps are on or not when you first place the object since hatch patterns automatically start from the origin anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Not sure it matters though whether snaps are on or not when you first place the object since hatch patterns automatically start from the origin anyway. 

Thanks Michael.  I was starting to think no one understood my response.  :wacko:

My thinking on the snaps was to lock the perimeter to to the snap grid and have a visual reference that things were aligned.