How to calculate square footage?

Hello,

I am working on my house plans and just noticed that my square footage of my house is currently on the setting "Main Layer" in my default settings. Is this accurate industry wide on how square footage is calculated?

Thank you,

Heidi

Main Layer is quite common however you need to check with your local regulations to know how it is officially done in your area.  However if you primary do interior design work or real-estate layouts, then most likely surface calculations will be used.

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2023 at 1:47 PM, Chopsaw said:

Main Layer is quite common however you need to check with your local regulations to know how it is officially done in your area.  However if you primary do interior design work or real-estate layouts, then most likely surface calculations will be used.

That is all very confusing, not to mention time consuming. I am in my 30th year of architecture/building, and I have never come across a different way to calculate square footage of home than the outside of the main framing layer. My advise is would be to tell whomever, "that's how I do it, if you are looking for something else, here is a pen and calculator."

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

There is no "Industry wide" standard until you define which industry you are talking about. The planning department may want square footages calculated by the exterior surfaces or foundation footprint (and some count different features differently, like stairs, covered porches, or tall spaces), compliance with the building code may require square footages based on interior surfaces, your real estate agent may want square footages calculated another way, and there is also a BOMA (Building Owners and Managers Association) standard for commercial buildings. There is no "one" right way.