Moldings like floating in the air

marlem2000

Hi, everybody!:)

I'm working with moldings and I don't know how to make them fit on the wall. They look like floating. My problem is when I go to the CAD view I don't know how to select and move an object, specially when there are many together. I do everything manually so things don't fit perfectly. Is there any method to do this? Many thanks!

preview.jpg

preview2.jpg

There are a few ways to move them back to the wall surface. In plan view, you can select one or more and use the point-to-point move tool to move them on to the wall surface.

You could also use the dimension tool to measure the distance, then select the moldings and use the transform / replicate tool to move them that distance in the x-axis.

If you post a plan, I or someone could make a video showing you a method.

It's important to keep in mind that when drawing a 3d molding in a section or elevation camera, the molding will 'land' on the main surface that you've drawn your polylline on. So make sure your initial polyline is located entirely on your desired target wall surface.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the info, Robert.:) I don't know any of these methods. Here's a plan where I'm trying to fit a molding in a door (the most difficult one for me) and in a wall. I'm only using the CAD view (I think it's called this way) and the 3D view. It's difficult to make the molding fit, specially in the door.

preview.jpg

moldings-and-walls.plan

Many thanks for the information and videos. They have been very useful! :)I'm still a bit lost about how to make the process, specially with doors. I don't know very well where a point starts and where it finishes. I have improved a lot the moldings placing. Anyway they don't fit at 100% yet.:unsure:

preview.jpg

preview2.jpg

preview3.JPG

40 minutes ago, marlem2000 said:

Many thanks for the information and videos. They have been very useful! :)I'm still a bit lost about how to make the process, specially with doors. I don't know very well where a point starts and where it finishes. I have improved a lot the moldings placing. Anyway they don't fit at 100% yet.:unsure:

preview.jpg

preview2.jpg

preview3.JPG

Check out this article instead of trying to apply moldings to a door.  

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01808/creating-a-custom-door.html

25 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

This would be a good/better option if you have to do a Whole House of doors.....rather than a Single Door or Feature Wall....

M.

Or if you want to show the door open in a rendering or a video.

After many tries I have built my first door. Well... it's not the best but it's a first step ahead.:rolleyes: I've been using views and tools for the first time (the point to point move, the cross section elevation and the back clipped...) so I was not expecting a great result.

Definently, it will be more usefull to build doors than trying to apply moldings on them. Probably I'll have to use these tools for other things so it's better to learn them. :)

preview1.jpg

preview2.jpg

preview3.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marlem2000 said:

After many tries I have built my first door. Well... it's not the best but it's a first step ahead.:rolleyes: I've been using views and tools for the first time (the point to point move, the cross section elevation and the back clipped...) so I was not expecting a great result.

Definently, it will be more usefull to build doors than trying to apply moldings on them. Probably I'll have to use these tools for other things so it's better to learn them. :)

preview1.jpg

preview2.jpg

preview3.jpg

Nice work.  It really helps when you do it like this where the different moldings have individual textures applied when you make them a door so that if you want to paint or apply a different color/texture to them after becoming a symbol they are different.  So great job!

On 12/22/2022 at 4:15 AM, marlem2000 said:

Is there any method to do this?

Here is another tip for locating a 3d molding that was created in a section or elevation view. Notice that if you single-click (in plan view) to select the molding, you have limited tools available and the only object handle is in the center. But if you marquee select the molding, additional tools are available, especially the point-to-point move tool.

Single click selection:image.thumb.png.2a0521ab65a51c9d815b09dab1f47da3.png

Marquee selection:image.thumb.png.8a8712205807f3024f2c1e85ee1eb14b.png

19 hours ago, rgardner said:

Nice work.  It really helps when you do it like this where the different moldings have individual textures applied when you make them a door so that if you want to paint or apply a different color/texture to them after becoming a symbol they are different.  So great job!

Thanks, Ryan! I just added some random colors in order to avoid a mess with lines.:)

16 hours ago, robdyck said:

Here is another tip for locating a 3d molding that was created in a section or elevation view.

It's very useful since I'm still lost with many things about moldings. They don't fit perfectly yet so I must keep on trying.:rolleyes:

Merry Christmas to everybody!:D