Position of top molding

marlem2000

Hi, everyone:)

First of all, I am a new user in the forum and a beginner with Chief Architect Premier X12. I’m Spanish so I need to say I’m sorry for my bad English.:unsure: I’m still learning all the technical stuff related to the world of architecture so everything is becoming hard for me.

I’m totally fascinated for interior design but my knowledge is very limited and I’d like learning the basics.

Today I was practicing with moldings. I’d love making what you can see in the picture but I can’t find a way. As you can see, the top molding in the curtains is not in the same position than the one in the rest of the room.

Again, sorry for my English and many thanks! :)

disneyland-hotel-30.jpg

To expand on what Glenn suggested, if moldings are specified in Floor or Room Defaults, then they're essentially part of the room.

Select a room and press the Make Room Molding Polyline tool:

image.png.fbcc12e1921c17a7fab91aaa7397e111.png

This will allow you to either make a new Blank Molding polyline around the perimeter of that room OR convert an existing molding polyline defined in that room, converting it into a separate polyline that you can modify freely.

image.png.79a788a4af899dc98712351ec2ae04c9.png

• Upvote 1

Many thanks for all the help! :)I’ve been following the steps of Garybills but the result is a bit disaster in my case.:unsure:

I’ve been reading this tutorial about 3d molding polylines.

This is what I did:

I go to Build> Primitive> Polyline Solid and draw manually the Polyline I want to create.

Then I Convert the Polyline Solid to Plain Polyline.

In the Convert Polyline dialog, I choose the 3D Molding Polyline.

In the 3D Molding Polyline Specification dialog which opens next, I click on the Moldings panel and replace the previously created Polyline by the molding I want to use with the curtains.

And… well… it seems there are many mistakes but something is something.:D

preview.jpg

preview2.jpg

The polyline solid is for the shape of the valance board, make that in a back clipped cross section camera.

Then use the right click, make room molding command from plan view to get your desired crown molding to break around the valance.

I used x14 without thinking, same process as x12.

door-valance-floor plan view.jpg

door-valance-backclip cross section view.jpg

door-valance-3d.jpg

I think I have improved a bit the top molding. It's not totally perfect yet. MPDesing's and Garybills's ones are much better (specially the valance) but now I get an idea about where to start. :D

How do you manage to make the valance look like "empty". If I change the depth with the "retain aspect ratio" on the valance is too big or too small and if I untick the option it looks like the one in the pictures.

preview.jpg

preview2.jpg

preview3.jpg

Edited by marlem2000
I found a posible solution

I made a copy in place of the poly solid/valance, resized it in plan view a half inch smaller than original and used the solid subtraction tool to remove the inside. Chief has a video under CAD Tools, subtracting poly lines that overlap. You could probably just use a cabinet valance from the library instead of the solid. 

Hi, Garybills!:) I don't understand very well what you mean. If I copy in place another polyline and try to substract nothing happens. Then, I understand that the substraction tool only works with polylines and the object I want to get "empty" is the valance (the valance is not a polyline).:unsure:

Untitled 1.jpg

Many thanks for the model, MPDesign! :)My problem is I don't know how to build the "rectangle" marked in red. What I do is just configure the main molding in Edit > Default Settings > Floors and Rooms... and then I just add a rectangular polyline in order to create the new molding (the one for the curtains). It's a really rough method since my knowledge of the programme is very limited.:(

preview.jpg

preview2.jpg

18 hours ago, marlem2000 said:

Many thanks for the model, MPDesign! :)My problem is I don't know how to build the "rectangle" marked in red. What I do is just configure the main molding in Edit > Default Settings > Floors and Rooms... and then I just add a rectangular polyline in order to create the new molding (the one for the curtains). It's a really rough method since my knowledge of the programme is very limited.:(

preview.jpg

preview2.jpg

As @MPDesign explained directly above this post, select the Room and hit the Make Room Molding Polyline button (also explained by @TeaTime in Post 3), and choose the crown molding. THEN select the new Molding Polyline created, and hit the Add Break tool:

1736992225_ScreenShot2022-12-05at9_38_11AM.thumb.png.e034539a9c49cbe704bad9300e96ea43.png

Add TWO breaks to the Molding Polyline, and adjust accordingly:

1133483893_ScreenShot2022-12-05at9_39_17AM.thumb.png.23ed4048a9a7957b45aec1a9e8c84bea.png

1908411229_ScreenShot2022-12-05at9_39_25AM.thumb.png.77132a5de0f50e286fa5c474d604ed76.png

Many thanks for the last tips, Michael and Christb222.:) I feel very sorry for going so slow. I started with Chief Architect only one month ago and everything is new for me. I have never cut a polyline (I didn't know it could be done) but I have made a try and got a good result (I think). The only thing I'm missing is to add something to cover the hole that's seen when I put the valance. I don't know if I should modify the valance itself or the polyline.

By the way, Michael, my name is Raquel. I'm not a professional in the design industry. I just use decoration to relax from my usual work.:)

preview1.jpg

preview2.jpg

preview3.jpg

I think I get it!:D I don't know if I did it in the most properly way since I just created the crown molding, added the valance and... well... I just built a polyline piece, converted it into a polyline solid and put it in the hole (in a really "manual" way). Probably the method is not perfect but it looks much better than when I started this topic.:)

I still have many questions but I don't want to overwhelm the forum so I'll keep on trying and see if there are things I can learn by myself :D

preview.jpg

I think I have achieved my aim talking about curtains thanks to everybody in this topic.:wub: I wish I could help others but, for the moment, I only have one million of basic questions about how to do one thing or another.:( 

I don't know if opening a new topic to keep on asking (there are some things I can't find a way to do yet) or just stay quiet for some time. Asking too much is not polite.:D

3.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Raquel,

Ask away, looks like your making good progress! If the questions have to do with a different tool then start a new thread for that question.

Don't forget that the F1 button will open help menu to get info about the tool you are using.

• Like 1