Sloped Window Sill

Alchemyjim

Maybe think of it as two walls sandwiched.  The outer one has no-trim passthroughs, the holes being the outers, the inner wall has no-trim-on-outside windows, and each of the steeply sloped "sills" is a 3D solid.

That, to model it in 3D.

Showing plan views with the 2x8 framing layer requires another model, identical to the first but with one wall, and one framing layer at 7.25 thickness.  The ROs are the size of the "outers."  You can use CAD details to show how the openings are framed, sheathed, and finished.

I'd only want that look, if I were the client, with the top and side surfaces of those outer openings tilted, maybe only 10 degrees, but sloped.  

Hope your client has deep pockets.

Thanks Gene,

There does not seem to be an easy way to do this. The sill would be sloped about 20°.

Does anyone have an idea about how to do it with a custom molding maybe?

I consider myself fairly proficient with the software but this one has me stumped. 

The client is quite insistent that the plans clearly show this detail.

I figured out one way to do it, but with 50 windows it may take you some time.

This is a single standard wall and standard window which works well both inside and outside.

The window remains a standard window so that it can be edited in the normal way.

The big problem is I have only been able to do one window at a time at this stage, but I will have another play at duplicating the window easily.

Although once you have the method down pat, you could probably do them quickly.

Are all the windows different sizes?

Rendered:

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 8.47.02 pm.jpg

Vector:

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 8.47.38 pm.jpg

• Upvote 1

Used what I think Glenn did? (at least I went off his pics)   20 degree molding for sill (in plan), then adjusted the windows: frame, sash, insets, recess, and RO bottom. (Trial and error)

image.thumb.png.cb17ba676ed5115acc9121d42cae4b1a.png

Then made a style paletter. Cleared all attributes, selected those that apply (bit of trial and error here too)

The SP works on any window- does not change dimensions, or window type, can use scoping for room, floor, plan, or single.

I think to get a real window I might want a thicker wall for better sash dims.

Window wells.zip Window sloped style paletter.calibz

• Upvote 2

On 11/28/2022 at 2:59 PM, Alchemyjim said:

I have a project with about 50 windows in 2x8 walls. The client wants them recessed with a sloped sill. 

The walls will be stucco that wraps the window well. Like this attached image.

Can Chief do this?

window sloped sill.JPG

-------------

Short answer - Yes.  Long answer it's annoying.  @ChiefArchitect should start giving us more freedom when it comes to construction elements.  Obviously limitations are important to keep building 'accurate', but things like sill sizes shouldn't have limitations.

My solution for this is to create a custom molding.

You'll need to make sure your wall is built correctly first.  I quickly created a 2x8 wood stud w/ stucco exterior (3" thick stucco) wall for this example. Adjust your layers and thicknesses if you need the window to be recessed deeper.

Each molding you create to use as a sill will need to be adjusted to the correct height you need first.  I am unaware of away to adjust the height of a sill while inside the window dialog box.  For my example I created a angled molding that was 24" tall and 4" at the base.  Although you can't adjust the height of the sill, you can adjust it's recess so If you make it deeper than your exterior finish you should be able to recess it as needed.

Once you've created the shape you need, simply add it to your library and name it. From there you can open the window dialog box and select your new molding from the library under the sill option.

The benefit to doing it this way is the molding is then in your library to be used on any windows you have in your plan. 

(Sorry for the poor quality, I had to save it in 480P)