Pony Wall (Foundation + Brick) Won't Align With Brick 1St Floor

Alexonian

When my foundation wall is not a pony wall, everything works fine but it goes haywire when I convert the foundation to a pony wall.

My 1st and 2nd floor are structurally defined as follows:

4" brick ("Foundation to selected line" is checked and the offset is set to 1")

1" Drainage plane

2" of Exterior Roxul

3/4" sheathing

5 1/2" Framing (Set to dimension and build platform)

1/2" drywall

My foundation is defined as follows:

3" Concrete

3 3/4" XPS Insulation

1/4" XPS Insulation

5" Concrete.

Together they make the following:

3" of brick bear down on a 3" brick ledge.

1" Drainage plane is over 1" of foam

2" of Exterior Roxul is over 2" of foam

3/4" sheathing is over 3/4" of foam

5 1/2" of framing bears on 1/4" of foam and 5" of concrete.

Everything aligns perfectly. The brick extends 1" beyond the foundation wall.

Now comes the problem I can't resolve - a daylight basement requiring a pony wall foundation consisting of foundation wall and brick wall. No matter which alignment option I choose I can't get the pony wall construction to align with the 1st and 2nd floor brick walls.

What works perfectly for a plain Jane foundation wall doesn't work for a pony wall foundation.

Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong or a workaround so that all walls in the vertical plane align over each other (with the 1" offset of course.)

I'm using X6.

Thanks for your help.

Alex

I'm still curious as to the proper technique, using X6 dbx controls, but I've figured a work-around - create a duplicate wall which mirrors the 1st floor wall, reduce the thickness of the 4" brick to 3" and then add a 1" brick as the outermost layer. Next set the 3 dbx selections on the 3" brick section.

This lines up the 1st floor wall with the pony wall and creates a 1" brick overhang.

Obviously the pony wall is not using the same wall as the first floor.

I've recently experienced something similar. 

I created a foundation pony wall.  I assigned this wall in defaults as my default "foundation wall".  I selected "auto build" foundation.

When I draw walls in plan...the foundation walls are created automatically...however, the walls do not align properly with the frame wall above. 

However, if I delete the foundation walls, and manually draw in the foundation walls...using the same pony wall type as is my default foundation wall, the wall aligns perfectly.  I've changed almost everything...more than once...no matter what I do the foundation pony will not align properly with the frame walls above. 

I'm sure it's a user error...but, it really shouldn't be this difficult.  In the Midwest...an 8" poured concrete foundation wall with a 4" brick ledge approximately 8" deep...is typical. 

I think this wall type should be part of the standard wall types that ships with Chief.  For us in the Midwest...it's as typical a wall type as Siding-6.

The point about main layers aligning is that the main layer in the 1st floor wall, the framing layer, is different from the main layer in the two components of the pony wall. When it's a plain foundation wall, everything aligns nicely with the main layer on the framing. When the foundation is a pony wall, then the alignment gets screwy.

I tried attaching my experiment file where I created a simple box with the above walls but I'm having trouble uploading. Any who want to experiment should be able to do so with the preset walls (brick) which come standard with CA.

• 1 month later...

@Rashid ....the layers for YOUR  "brick pony wall" wall you made,  are setup with a 5" offset in the main layers for the wall below , try them like this..........

post-315-0-72801500-1426286255_thumb.jpg

My guess is you'll need to redo foundation or rejoin walls etc with that large of a correction needed.

you also have an error showing up with a "wall sloping downward"

P. did you post the correct plan back here ? none of the walls are aligned according to the edit bar and if I look in camera view the bricks are also misaligned by about 3/4" .

was I wrong about the "HomeMade Brick Pony Wall's"  main layer being assigned wrong?   

P. did you post the correct plan back here ? none of the walls are aligned according to the edit bar and if I look in camera view the bricks are also misaligned by about 3/4" .

was I wrong about the "HomeMade Brick Pony Wall's"  main layer being assigned wrong?

Yes I just reassigned the main layer and manually aligned them as close as I could not wanting to spend all day on it. There were other problems also.

If you are using X6, open the dbx for your Brick-4 wall.

Select Wall Layer 1 and check Foundation to Selected Line and make the Offset 5" (or whatever works).

Auto rebuild the foundation.

Thanks glennw!... The First Floor Brick wall type needed that small change and auto-Foundation built great... Starting to see how a lot of the time a lot of Chief issues are setup issues.

Perry thanks.. Not in X7 yet so couldn't use your file.. but all is well now.. As far as errors go I have Auto Roof rebuild and there is a lot of Roof work still to do.. no worries at all.. What other issues did you see?