HOW TO CREATE CUSTOM WALL OPENING IN CHIEF ARCHITECT

MIKE202020

Have a look into "Inserts Into Wall" for a symbol (which you can hide).

And then select the symbol and use "Edit Wall Cutout Polyline" from the Edit menu.

You can drag the wall hole around and edit it to any shape.

Its a little tricky to use the first time but once you know how, you can cut any shape you want.

It works the same in X10.

Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 4.28.52 pm.jpg

8 hours ago, M-Reed said:

Mike, another way that may interest you is to create a symbol using a polyline for the outline. This then can be converted to a door symbol with all the benefits of such (eg: door jamb, door slab, with their own materials and colors, etc. Also height and width adjustment as well as location in the wall.Their is no reason a door opening has to be a rectangular shape....

It has always been the crowning feature of Chief's tool sets, to do much more than is apparent. 

Can you expand on this? 

• 10 months later...

I have an arch I created in 2D CAD, converted to a solid, converted to a symbol, and set the "Inserts Into Wall"

but when I put it on the wall, it cuts a rectangle instead of the arch.  Any idea why?

symbol:

image.thumb.png.460deae564c1b54072ad26e84d95db23.png

plan view:

image.thumb.png.67500942cb87ed1fa4493314e10ccb96.png

then I move the symbol to the left over the wall and widen it and I get a rectangular cutout:

image.thumb.png.730920af3fdade89f936fa0bfa5a1881.png

then I deselct the layer for the symbol

image.thumb.png.47fe9dc9f40ac95b554b0982a7a992aa.png

Any ideas why I do not get the arch?

btw I tried the pass through window and door for the arch, but the bottom sill always showed

694 Muirfield Cr - fe (3).zip

i placed it from my library onto the wall in elevation. When I click on it, in elevation, i get

image.thumb.png.d38db812f0c76ad425d867a96edbfc0e.png

which now I notice has the "convert to symbol" but missing the icon

so I did it again, selected the 3d solid, click to convert to symbol, a dbx pops up with a checkbox to add to library, which I check, except  I also check the advanced options , and check to insert into wall (where before I opened up in the library and checked it). then I select it from my library and when I place it it, low and behold, it cuts into the wall.

Then I went back to my original in my library and placed it on the wall, and now it cuts the wall, without having to move it in plan view

go figure

anywho, it is still the same look (square cutout), but I have that menu item now, if I click the symbol , I get

image.thumb.png.2fc0e43e2777885cf898d219ae8fb8df.png

interesting that it has "convert to symbol"

but now what do i do, I dont see something that will cutout the arch instead of the box

I currently have

image.thumb.png.a14a8cac70bd5e9a2a7b3cfc7258694b.png

Just curious why you don’t just use a doorway to accomplish this?

3 hours ago, SHCanada2 said:

I have an arch I created in 2D CAD, converted to a solid, converted to a symbol, and set the "Inserts Into Wall"

but when I put it on the wall, it cuts a rectangle instead of the arch.  Any idea why?

symbol:

image.thumb.png.460deae564c1b54072ad26e84d95db23.png

plan view:

image.thumb.png.67500942cb87ed1fa4493314e10ccb96.png

then I move the symbol to the left over the wall and widen it and I get a rectangular cutout:

image.thumb.png.730920af3fdade89f936fa0bfa5a1881.png

then I deselct the layer for the symbol

image.thumb.png.47fe9dc9f40ac95b554b0982a7a992aa.png

Any ideas why I do not get the arch?

btw I tried the pass through window and door for the arch, but the bottom sill always showed

694 Muirfield Cr - fe (3).zip 7.83 MB · 1 download

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

Just curious why you don’t just use a doorway to accomplish this?

5 hours ago, SHCanada2 said:

do you know how to get rid of the bottom doorway sill? or maybe I wasnt doing it right

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Perfect convert the top of the cutout polyline to an arc and match it to the symbol

how does one "match it to the symbol...easily...go chase down the properties from the original arc and plug them all in?

image.png.db227852b5344e9a4b28967720ab0ec3.png

after getting frustrated with that....I created a couple psolids, and subtracted them, which worked ...after taking 20 minutes trying to place the psolids in the right place to begin with. For some reason I couldn't find them on the plan view(yes the layer was on) for that long, and I was moving them around in circles in 3D.  No idea why they werent in plan view. But even so, I think I need to watch some videos on how to move psolids around in 3D..literally I was moving them in circles (I'd move the camera to be more or less on one elevation, then move it, then move the camera to another elevation then move it, then move the camera to be on top and then move it, rinse repeat) ...there must be a proper technique that I am missing

that being said, I'd like to see if I can get the symbol thing going ...or the pass-thru doorway/window. The latter seems the simples if it could work...and that is where I got the arc from to begin with for the psolid