Flat Screen Tvs

steverossoo7

I have a 40" vizio in my office for my clients but have trouble seeing the floor plan on the screen when it is duplicated from my working screen, when doing elevation and camera views it works great just wish I can figure out how to get the floor plans to look good on there also it keeps clients from hanging over my shoulder looking at there floor plans, if anyone has any suggestion I am open for them all to get the floor plans looking better or even looking somewhat visable on that screen, my main screen is a 28" monitor with a 24" monitor for my lib files to be on then I duplicate the 28" onto the 40" for clients

Lew my main monitor is a 28" that I use for everyday drawings, when I have a client I duplicate that monitor up to the 40" vizio tv and that is where I get the floor plans not looking the best on that one, maybe I have to mess with the settings on the 28" monitor so it shows up better on the 40" tv

Ray:

try these "articles"

basically your source and tv resolutions need to be the same

or that the aspect ratios are the same

the aspect ratios (4:3 for 800×600 and 16:9 for 1366×768) are different – so not only will the image be enlarged, the image will be distorted.

What Happens When You Use a Non-Native Resolution

Now, imagine that your computer’s video card sends an 800×600 image to a 1366×768 LCD — you’ll see that the 800×600 image doesn’t evenly correspond to the number of pixels in the LCD. To produce an image smaller than its native resolution, the display would still be using 1366×768 pixels – so the display must interpolate (scale) the image to be larger and fill the screen. In the example here, the aspect ratios (4:3 for 800×600 and 16:9 for 1366×768) are different – so not only will the image be enlarged, the image will be distorted.

This is similar to enlarging an image in an image-editing program – you’ll lose clarity and, if the image is a different aspect ratio, it will appear distorted. For example, here I’ve taken a screenshot of How-To Geek at 800×600 and enlarged it to 1366×768 (I then shrunk it, maintaining the aspect ratio, so it would fit this article.) As you can see, the image is blurry from being enlarged and distorted from being widened. This is what your LCD does when you use a non-native resolution.

**************************************************************************************************************************

What happens if your TV and video source have different resolutions?

This scenario actually happens all the time, and fortunately with today's HDTVs, you don't really need to worry about it. Whether the resolution of your video source material is low (VHS), medium (DVD), or high (HDTV), a fixed-pixel TV will always automatically convert or scale the video signal to fit the screen's native resolution. Scaling lower-quality signals to fit a TV's higher-resolution screen is often called upconversion. Upconversion works great with a good source like DVD, but it can't make snowy analog antenna reception or a noisy cable picture look flawlessly crisp and clear.

Similarly, if the incoming source has more pixels than the screen's native resolution, the video signal has to be "downconverted." It's like trying to pour 10 pounds of sugar into a 5-pound bag: you have to throw away some detail to fit the image on the screen. That's one of the reasons 1080p TVs are so popular — they can display every pixel of every available high-def resolution, so they never have to throw any detail out. But if you don't get a 1080p TV, don't worry — downconverted video can still look great. The best example is 1080i HD broadcasts that are downconverted to be viewed on 768p TVs.

Lew

I have a 42" Samsung. Had my electrician come in and run a dedicated HDMI from our dedicated design PC that's in another room. Also an USB connect to use a mouse and keyboard.  We tried wireless but had too much lag time and dropped connection thru walls.

One key element that hasn't been mentioned is the maximum resolution of your video card.  If you're using a Laptop that has a video card resolution limit based on the laptop screen then any external monitor will be limited to that resolution.  My Laptop has a maximum resolution of 1900x1080 (basically 1080p) so using a 4K TV would be a waste of money.  OTOH, my Desktop System has a video card that supports much higher resolutions.

My tv has a hdmi cable from the computer to the tv, and it is connected to my desktop, one thing my son told me to do is make the background color on chief to white and it does show better that way and I set that tv to wide, I used a light grey for chief just for glare  when working on the 28" monitor

I have a Mac Pro with dual 23" monitors.  I use a 40" Sony TV for customers, they sit on a couch about 10ft away.  I run an HDMI cable to the TV and the computer automatically shuts down one monitor, and switches both the TV and my monitor to a 16:9 resolution, 1920 x 1080.  It looks great.

• 1 month later...

I have a separate client presentation area with a 40" Samsung 1080 display. Works beautifully. No need to spend more for higher resolutions, there are lots of people who can't see the difference between 720 & 1080, especially on a screen under 50".

Not sure about using Google Chromecast. Suspect it will be to laggy, especially if you are using camera views and walkthroughs. I have a dedicated laptop hooked up via HDMI. All computers are synced using Microsoft OneDrive so the presentation laptop is always up-to-date. Just sit down, activate Chief Architect and watch how impressed your clients will be.

Graham