Mirror Material Looks Glossy Black In Final View Render--Like A Hole To The Heart Of Doom.

zowie123

I'm on the phone with Chief...I'm totally stumped, but it's important I get this working, it's killing my renders and I don't have an option.  I'm no employed with a company that expects everything to look good to close sales, I can't have black mirrors.  

I guess it picked up my prefs when it opened. I always thought the preferences would travel with the plan.

Alan,

Preferences are computer specific and stick between Chief sessions, defaults are plan specific. 

ie, Preferences don't travel with the plan, defaults do.

Copy the mirror material from this file:

x7 public beta

Alan,  this is from post 6,  I opened your plan and used your mirror material on the two psolids.  It worked great on the "PICTURE BILLBOARD"  but on the POST it was black.  (see pic)

I was  not using a floor overview,  I was using the FULL CAMERAarrow-10x10.png.

I remember there are some OBJECTS that the mirror material does not work on.  Also,  if you use a FLOOR OVERVIEW CAMERA vs the FULL CAMERA the reflection does not work.... in render view.

Would you agree that if you applied your mirror material to the POST,  there is no reflection?

post-50-0-57451800-1421847607_thumb.jpg

Alan,  this is from post 6,  I opened your plan and used your mirror material on the two psolids.  It worked great on the "PICTURE BILLBOARD"  but on the POST it was black.  (see pic)

I was  not using a floor overview,  I was using the FULL CAMERAarrow-10x10.png.

I remember there are some OBJECTS that the mirror material does not work on.  Also,  if you use a FLOOR OVERVIEW CAMERA vs the FULL CAMERA the reflection does not work.... in render view.

Would you agree that if you applied your mirror material to the POST,  there is no reflection?

Alan,  I just reviewed what I said.....  this is very interesting.....  if I apply your mirror material to the post,  it is not reflective.  However if I go into plan view and change your post from a 6x5 to a 6x18,  it is now reflective.

What I am saying is the reflectivity of the post is based on the proportions of the post..........BTW,  when I say post,  it is built as a PSOLID in PLAN VIEW,  not as a true framing post.

This is what came back from tech support--So I wasn't imagining things--I had infact added extra lights which I had neglected to mention to you all yesterday.  There were six in this little space.  That oversight might have been why others weren't getting the black mirror from hell scenario. 

Hi Barry,
I have looked at your plan and have been able to replicate what you are experiencing. It looks like there is an interaction between using Legacy Shadows, lights, and mirrors that makes the mirrors darker with more lights added to the room. I have reported this limitation with Legacy Shadows to our developers so that they can work to resolve this issue. In the meantime, I would suggest leaving Legacy Shadows off so that your mirrors will work correctly. Additionally, you can send multiple views to Ray Trace and leave them working overnight. I know many people will do this so as to avoid slowing their computer while at work.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Alex Parenti
Chief Architect Technical Support

Thanks for the cross check, Scott..  Walking through it with Alan, he at first said that it depended on the surface and whether or not I chose material from within properties or whether I sprayed it on, but I get the black mirror even with a stock library mirror.  

Unchecking legacy does fix this, but degrades the image.  I just loaded the new nvidia drivers that came out last month and still the same issue.  

Cheers!