Mirror Material Looks Glossy Black In Final View Render--Like A Hole To The Heart Of Doom.

zowie123

Hi all,

It's hard to sell doom.... It looks good in raytrace, but bad in final view render.  Is it like that for everyone, or do I have a render setting on that should be off?  Anyone experience this? This happens with reflections turned on or off--transparency too.  

Thank you, 

Barry

post-933-0-33789400-1421788218_thumb.jpg

I think photon mapping only affects raytrace views.

Yes - I was confused if the OP was really talking about a render vs a raytrace (I hate how Chief uses these two terms). As you mentioned, probably a material definition issue.

Thank you all, I'm still working on it.

Alan, I'd like to try that object you sent via a  plan file, but I can't open it because you're using a newer version of the program--are you testing beta 7?  I thought I did have the latest version. 

Please send again, that would be the best way to know if it's my material or settings.  

Thank you, Barry

Using the rainbow tool, it says material mirror and it shows up as a gray pattern.  In properties it's at 100% reflection, but that's for RayTrace only. In Raytrace it looks good, it's only black in render views.  

As per Perry's suggestion, I'm looking up an old plan to see if I can find a different mirror material. 

Hi Perry, Yes, mine is set to the same for both properties and general tabs.  Thanks for posting that...I'm using the newer library mirror I guess, I'm looking to find an old plan for an older library item to see if it makes a difference. Or if someone has mirror in a plan they know works in render please send so I can see if it's a setting. Sorry to be a bother, I appreciate all the help.  I'm at work and have to get this image to a client, but it looks like ****.  I can just turn it gray for now, but would like to know why it's so black.  cheers!

BTW. I'm using using a nvidia gtx 760.  

Perry.. I tried the reflections and transparency check and uncheck in the final view section of preferences before I finally gave up and wrote to the group, trying again, but little hope.  

So no one else is getting this black in final view render?    

To summarize:  It looks correct in raytrace, it's black only in render final view-- with or without reflections checked in preferences.