Materials List

Doug_N

Just now, Chopsaw said:

If it is not in the model it will not be on the list.

Thanks for the update Michael.  A client's supplier just asked for it to quote the building package.  I wanted to be sure before I generated it.

6 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

A client's supplier just asked for it to quote the building package.

Not really sure I would go to the trouble of framing the project and verifying the accuracy of the material list just for a lazy supplier unless someone is paying for that. ;)

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Not really sure I would go to the trouble of framing the project and verifying the accuracy of the material list just for a lazy supplier unless someone is paying for that. ;)

Yeah, here is a copy of the email from the supplier.

Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2022 3:49 PM
To: Doug Norton <info@measurite.ca>; John Cranston <jcranston66@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: 825 Jomar Ave Pickering

Hi Doug & John, I need final plans to do an accurate lumber take-off.  Please forward them when they are available and we will take another look - or alternatively please forward a list of material required and we will be happy to price it out.  Thanks, Lisa.

I sent a return email explaining that until a permit is issued my drawings are always stamped not for construction.  That these are, in fact, final drawings.  She then sent back, "Send material take off and I will quote."   lol

8 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Yup, yet another person that does not enjoy doing take off's.  No one wants to do it for free that is for sure.

So that leaves a big question.  Well two questions really.

1) How much should be charged for supplying a take off AND (the big one)

2) Who is responsible if the takeoff is wrong by some significant margin?  

1 minute ago, Doug_N said:

1) How much should be charged for supplying a take off AND (the big one)

Base it on your hourly rate and take enough time to be sure it is right.

2 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

2) Who is responsible if the takeoff is wrong by some significant margin?

The person who does the take off unless they have a very well written disclaimer.

Just now, Chopsaw said:

Base it on your hourly rate and take enough time to be sure it is right...

Ah now there lies the rub....  Just how in the heck would you do that, in some sort of meaningful time.  In my experience doing material take-off is a profession in its own right.  Not something that, hey what the heck, yesterday I was a brain surgeon, and the day before that an economics expert, tomorrow I will do construction material take off.   Sigh...

27 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

Ah now there lies the rub....  Just how in the heck would you do that, in some sort of meaningful time.

It won't be quick if you are determined to get it right but is likely a worthwhile process to go through once you are proficient with the rest of the software and it will show you if you are correctly modeling everything in a way that chief expects it to be.

It also completely depends on the project, such as I would not recommend doing your first list on a remodel that has the as-built in the same file.

i've provided the materials list but with the caveat that ii is an estimate only. most of my customers are smaller outfits, they can always return unused lumber.

my first attempt was an addition and I had to be careful to exclude the existing wall

Wait until she sees all the 2x6s needed in lengths like 27'-4 1/2".

No matter how carefully modeled with framing built, I find that Chief framing has to be edited extensively for the buy list to be worth anything.

For pricing purposes, I prefer to use the total lineal feet output.