Upgrading my version of Chief

JKraft

I'm getting ready to upgrade my version of Chief.  I've noticed some recent versions various users are selling for significantly less than what I would have to pay for the a new/latest version of Chief.  Does anyone have an opinion they would like to share as to what version of Chief would be "sufficient" to do good quality work/renderings?  Just trying to get a feel as to whether to just go-ahead and buy the latest-greatest, or save some money and invest the difference in training videos.  Any thoughts?

Unlike most users of Chief, I specialize in helping users (probably like you) who for one reason or another decided not to upgrade every time a new version is offered. I have versions X1-X13 and even old version 7, 9 and 10 that predate old X1, so I can help such people. Version 7 still works perfectly well after all these years but version 9-23 work even progressively better and better. There is no "greater wisdom" of which you cannot tap, really there is only what you need, like and want. THAT should be your only guide to what you need and want.

DJP

• Like 1

There is no cheaper way than to pay the SSA each year to stay current , that being said I would say X11 minimum , and X12 better, especially on the Render side.

On the Render side X13 only offers benefits for PC users with a RTX 2/3000 Card.

( you have no forum signature with current version or OS listed which many help with better advice )

M.

• Like 1

There is no cheaper way than to pay the SSA each year to stay current , that being said I would say X11 minimum , and X12 better, especially on the Render side.

While I agree with Mick on this part...

On the Render side X13 only offers benefits for PC users with a RTX 2/3000 Card.

...I have to disagree with him on this part.  X13 offers a number of benefits on the render side of things in addition to the new real time raytracing (which is currently only available on video cards that support it)  including the ability to add line drawing on top of other render techniques and the new clay rendering technique (which are available on all video cards that run X13). 

For a more complete list of what is new in X13 and X12, you can review these documents:

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/marketing/x13-new-features.pdf

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/marketing/x12-new-features.pdf

As for the decision whether or not to go with the latest version or an older version, I would highly recommend upgrading to the latest version which should also include your first year of SSA.  SSA will allow you to stay current with the program along with the added benefits of tech support, bonus content libraries, discounted (and sometimes free) training resources, and more.

I also recommend reviewing the system requirements though because X13 is more demanding than previous versions:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html

If you do decide to purchase a used older version, I also recommend that you verify that the license is legally transferable.  Occasionally, people will try to sell licenses that are not which has way less value because you will not be able to upgrade it.  If you have questions about this, please contact our customer service team for more help.

Also, if you have any more questions about X13 or the benefits of SSA, please contact our sales team for more help.