Cabinets deleting windows.

KingsOwn

I have a problem in one file where windows drop out, or are deleted when I place a new cabinet or adjust an existing cabinet that is against the wall containing the window.

Anyone had this happen.  Any solutions?

Thanks.

Ian

I think people will need to see the plan for this one , it isn't one I have heard of before as you can definitely put cabinets over windows in X13,

at least in a New Plan from the Residential Template.

image.thumb.png.d11fae5988120287fb088c364857d536.png

Here's the plan - I hope I've posted it correctly?

In this plan if I place a new cabinet or edit size one of the existing cabinets in the kitchen the window in the wall that the cabinet is against is deleted.

Thanks for your consideration.

Mahakipawa 15.dwg

3 hours ago, KingsOwn said:

Here's the plan - I hope I've posted it correctly?

No, you exported it as a dwg file (CAD).

To see the issue you have it needs to be a native Chief file, a plan file.

With the plan file open use-File, Backup Entire Plan- check backup plan files only and send backup to zip.

image.png.e58bd266c41b637a5fbd5d7b7d930cc5.png

IF the resulting zip file is larger than 14 MBs you can't post it here. Then either place on cloud with a link or strip it down to the problem room(s).

FWIW- when I've gotten weird things happen, that nobody else has seen yet, I've had them go away after either close and re-open Chief or better still after a full reboot. Hence they can not be reproduced. This is on Windows, we have no idea what OS you use?

Ghost in the machine?  I just saved my file with a new name and the problem has gone away.

Thanks a lot for everyone's attention - still don't know why that happened, but happy now it's gone.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Char91
    Newest Member
    Char91

• By Nate_M
      Hello,

I am working on an as built for a 1800's house. The door and window trim is 5 3/4" wide. My problem is that there a few instances where the door or window trim has been cut down to fit up against another wall. For example there's a window in one of the corners that is nearly up against the perpendicular wall. The trim on the left side of the window is 5 3/4" but the trim on the right side is around 3". 

Is there a way to place the window further into the corner and cut off the trim? Can I make the trim on only side of the window a smaller width? This is a pretty common occurrence in our work and I would like to have a method of solving this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
    • By norryboy
      Has anyone else experienced cabinet reveals changing from X12 to X13? I have attached images from an identical plan that was created in X12 from a cabinet library I created. The X12 shows as I would expect. X13 shows as expected as well. The difference starts when inserting cabinets from the library I created into X13.
      Chief has changed/added some default settings. The overlays in X12 are in the Box Construction section of the defaults. The overlays in X13 are in the Drawer Face Item Specification.
      The cabinet in X13 had the overlay changed form the default 3/4" from X12 to 1/16" when inserted into X13. I'm guessing it's because the overlay defaults have been moved to the Drawer/Door face item specification.
      I really don't want to have to redo the entire cabinet library as there are hundreds of them. The reason the library was created is due to our cabinet supplier having specific cabinet callouts.

Thank you for any help.

• By MarkMc
      Updated 2/28-added cabinet doors into schedule-one on it's own floating and example of it on a cabinet.
      Changed the corbel procedure-instead of specifying the symbol should be "inside" the cabinet I now embed the "holding cabinet" into where the corbel goes. This allows proper vector and watercolor views. Revised plan attached

I finally found a way to get millwork into the cabinet schedule without using architectural blocks. Problem with blocks is the dimensions read based on orientation in the space and not on the object.
      It's a bit of a futz at first but I'm happy. Once set up the stuff can live in the library.
      Place the millwork in a new plan, convert to symbol _CABINET DOOR instead of millwork. You will have to work with the origin and stretch zones. Origin will vary if it is going in as inset or trad overlay.
      Then place a cabinet, futx with the dbx (most need to have opening for back and both sides) In 3d vector view I change the sides of the cabinet to "opening no material"
      Once cabinet is done save to library- can later add a different millwork door to it to save work.

Plan shows a schedule, two millwork "doors" and a couple of cabinets using them for reference. Open all dbxs to get the idea. (no not doing a video)

I also placed at the bottom of the plan what I've been doing to get moldings, loose accessories, touch up kits, toe kick etc into the cabinet schedule. These are also saved to the library for reuse.
      The Text callout is placed once and copied. Dimensions can be adjust to read properly but the quantities are off so I put that into the label.
      Bracket sch.plan

• By MarkMc
      I received a couple of question from folks at and after yesterdays GTM I'm attaching a plan and a layout in a zip file. Consider this something for forensic examination-to use to figure out how you want ot go about things. There are very likely mistakes, I'm certain that some of the label macros need work and in the course of putting this together some unwanted ones may have dropped in from the library..

There was a request at the meeting for annosets. I agree with Perry and Scott that you need to put together what works for you but this may help get you going. The annosets here are a recent update to mine and may have mistakes yet. Started with something, a year or so later updated it, learned some more, fudged it as I went, now going working on a new and improved revised set. No you do NOT need to change annosets with every release. Yes you can use the same annosets for multiple templates (reference manual). OR you can use different ones. It's a good idea to export them somewhere (like the CA data file) with a date associated for when you muck them up or need to go back or want them somewhere else. I keep a second set that is less used for new construction that is different than my everyday remodel set. Just cuts down on the clutter.  
      Label macros included- the principal I'm working with is to use one macro while I work so I know what is going on, then to change all the cabinets on the primary layers to have another macro that works for ordering nomenclature (3 inch increments for example) To get any of the macros out you open the macro management dbx pick it and export- then do the reverse in another plan and import (HIT F1)  
      There was a question about the molding warehouse- included some in one room with a note. Don't forget to play with the new drag a profile from the library feature.  
      Countertops-no chief will not automatically label finished edges- see the plan, keep some text int there and copy and paste. (maybe someone from the dark side can write a macro for that but I'm not going there.) A few ways to get millwork and other things into a schedule- included one arch block turned sideways to show the problem from using them. couple of odd symbols thingies for the schedules. Included-an architectural block with a wood hood and a blower insert inside it. The blower insert is currently set so you can't really resize it without going into the symnbol DBX and changing things (look in the reference manual and play with it -best way to learn) You can use this to see if the blower you want will fit in the hood the client wants. Glass house view, cross section slider, backclipped elevations. Odds and ends-if you have not seen Scott Harris method of globally changing kitchen cabinets you should check it out. Basically he keeps a couple of cabinets on the side in different door/color/construction. Then picks one and sets as default  (one reason I ONLY use cabinets that respect the defaults even though some things don't AND naturally changing from overlay to inset requires some heavy redesign) There was a mention that 2020 will underline a label if you alter the size of a cabinet from the default. Chief won't. Thing is that 2020 will also underline the label if you add an accessory or a modification to the cabinet so it is NOT saving you from yourself (unless you do those last) File and layout attached, neither is complete, but worth fooling with I think.

• By ChiefuserMathews
      Hello, I have attached my plan and the site picture from the backyard. Why is the brick veneer overlapping my basement window. What am I doing wrong? Site existing condition picture attached backyard
      221008.plan