Rotate a Section / Elevation in Layout

robdyck

On 6/23/2021 at 4:56 PM, robdyck said:

Can we seriously not rotate the layout box of a section or elevation view? I'm gonna have to use an old-fashioned CAD detail, right?

I can't believe I have never needed to do that before but it seems you are correct.  Likely because it is technically a camera view but I don't see any reason that it is not possible to program since you can rotate a picture.  So send to layout as an image or as you mentioned a cad detail.

• 7 months later...

I'm re-visiting this topic in hopes that someone can provide a simple solution that I'm not aware of. I'm limited to 11x17 sheets and I need to rotate the left and right elevation views. The client makes too many changes so using CAD details will be labor intensive.

Help? Please? Cool Emoticons for Facebook Timeline, Chat, Email, SMS Text Messages &  Blogs | Funny Emoticons | Funny emoticons, Emoticons emojis, Crying emoji

1 minute ago, robdyck said:

I'm re-visiting this topic in hopes that someone can provide a simple solution that I'm not aware of. I'm limited to 11x17 sheets and I need to rotate the left and right elevation views. The client makes too many changes so using CAD details will be labor intensive.

Help? Please? Cool Emoticons for Facebook Timeline, Chat, Email, SMS Text Messages &  Blogs | Funny Emoticons | Funny emoticons, Emoticons emojis, Crying emoji

Can you just rotate EVERYTHING else and print portrait instead of landscape? 

4 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Can you just rotate EVERYTHING else and print portrait instead of landscape? 

I don't think so. The page is portrait, 17 pages. The plan is quite long, but relatively narrow. The right and left are the troubles. They no longer fit because of a change that was made to increase the depth of the garage.

Plan Layout  image.thumb.png.4f4f22252540ed58ad2cacde40661767.png

Right Elevation: image.thumb.png.84bccc5a101eca9ad9a7681a69547326.png

Front / rear: image.thumb.png.f6f4f768078e51ffdbcc3a04b837187d.png

11 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Did you ever submit a feature request?  

I have not. Do you have any idea (from a programming standpoint) if it would be possible or relatively simple to allow section or elevation views to rotate?

One of the 'hassles' of CAD details, or images, is losing the Edge Line Defaults and Pattern Line Defaults. For proper appearance, every material then needs to be edited to replicate the pattern line defaults from layout. A hassle when there are plenty of changes.

Did you ever submit a feature request?  

I have not.  Do you have any idea (from a programming standpoint) if it would be possible or relatively simple to allow section or elevation views to rotate?

You should always submit an official feature request for anything that you would like to work differently.  Posting frowny faces on the Q&A forum isn't the same and is very unlikely to ever get into our feature request database. 

Very possible but not very simple.

For all the people that asked for this (and I know there were a number of you, over far too many years), here's a little sneak peek at X14.

rotated elevation.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dermot said:

Posting frowny faces

It's not a frowny face, it's simply a sad face because all available options create a fair amount of additional work and deadlines loom. It's not directed at Chief or at any individual, simply at the reality of the situation. 

I know it might sound like a pain, but at this point, just consider producing you prints in 3 steps:

1.  Print your set minus the page or pages that need rotated elevations.

2.  Rotate everything on your Template Page or Page 0 (including the Drawing Sheet) to accommodate the rotated elevation page(s) and print just those pages.

3.  Combine pages in PDF editor.

18 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I know it might sound like a pain, but at this point, just consider producing you prints in 3 steps:

1.  Print your set minus the page or pages that need rotated elevations.

2.  Rotate everything on your Template Page or Page 0 (including the Drawing Sheet) to accommodate the rotated elevation page(s) and print just those pages.

3.  Combine pages in PDF editor.

This, plus make a copy of the layout so you have two layouts; a portrait and a horizontal.  Print and combine as above.  Faster in the long run.

23 hours ago, Dermot said:

You should always submit an official feature request

Why isn’t this Q&A the de facto feature request?

We don’t have that many posts per day. 

Whoever’s job it is at Chief to look at the “feature request” should just simply come here. 

Alternatively I could name 5 guys on this forum that could streamline the feature request and give you the greatest insight as to the program’s deficiencies.  They’re good guys and willing to help. Just give them SSA for free or something?

Unless the feature request at Chief is just a big waste of time and there just so we can vent our frustrations and simple give the illusion that Chief is actually considering any of the requests?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1