Voids in Exterior Wall Surfaces

JonathanWilliams

I can not figure out how to fix a few voids in my exterior walls. I know they come from my raising the roof planes up 16" to create energy heel trusses and then manually editing the roof planes back down at areas which are not over conditioned living areas: the front porch and the garage. I've tried re-building/re-framing the walls and the roofs but the gaps will not disappear. 

I can convert the images to CAD and edit out the lines but I'd like to use the perspective drawings without the problems. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Screenshot 4.16.21 b.jpg

Screenshot 4.16.21 a.jpg

18 minutes ago, JonathanWilliams said:

Screenshot 4.16.21 a.jpg

Dealt with this hundreds of times. A p-solid is the simplest. Elevation view, draw it on the wall, size and shape it (accurately so it blends), replicate it back 1", paint it, place it on 'material region' layer.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, solver said:

Happens all the time. Sometimes an easy fix, sometimes not.

It helps to have your plan file to work with -- saves lots of back and fourth.

Close Chief and attach for the best help.

Plan attached. I deleted some content to get it under 25 MB. Thanks for taking a look.

BL72 PlanA CURRENT 2.11.21 GREAT RM 3.22.21 COPY 4.16.21.plan

1 hour ago, JonathanWilliams said:

Thank you. I'll try to figure out what I did wrong.

You did nothing wrong. There is no fix. Chief just blows up in these situations. 

I always have it especially above a garage because I like to lower my garage roof so there isn’t too much wall height above the garage door and the roof. (looks ugly)

I really wish this would get fixed someday. 

As Robdyck said, psolid to the rescue. 

41 minutes ago, gelbuilding said:

Hi Joey,

nice one though,

I cannot replicate what you did

Put a wall like Joey said under the wall above...and place it on a layer you can turn off. Then...pull your roof up against the wall above...it's about an inch away. 

You should also create a Saved Plan View just to see your "roof plan". It'll make you work much easier...:)

2021-04-17_10-22-04.thumb.png.4ae9fd15141b750d6d3b5fce216ee507.png

23 minutes ago, gelbuilding said:

Thanks, Steve
I see Joey has the wall drawn on level one and highlighted it as an attic wall.

Though didn't work for me.

If I change to attic wall the wall extends to the right.

CA.jpg

Just draw a wall, put it on the attic layer...or any layer that you can turn off. Don't make it an "attic wall".

You might start by pulling the roof to the wall above...that might be most of the problem...

19 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

If I were Chief I would be embarrassed that this is what my customers have to do to solve this problem. 

It’s ridiculous, X12 going on X13 and it’s still contortionist p-solids and hidden wall bandages. 

What's wrong with having to cut individual pieces of siding or drywall or smear on some stucco just to cover up the holes? Don't you have a tool trailer beside your desk like I do? :huh:

And don't forget to wear a helmet!

Bang Head Here GIFs | Tenor

• Upvote 1