Sunnyfields

Plan Views in Layout Default to the Same Floor

I am doing a remodel and have created a separate existing building file and am using it as an underlay to show where walls are being removed: image.thumb.png.b9e83894338949f123703f4c6594cefe.png

BUT, when I export the views to layout, they all default to the last view I export. Here I export the first floor:

image.thumb.png.9729e6f9dcba45ec6bc68b02b715dc07.png

So far so good. Here are the settings:

image.thumb.png.41784c2d4e54e03f17437a9f2ed843c1.png

Then it all goes awry. This is what happens when I export the second floor:

image.thumb.png.05e27bb26824e19477b9c4d2adf54b51.png

And now the third...

image.thumb.png.c4c817e26427d752a13190c3132f01ca.png

This only happens with this one plan. Could using the plan reference be messing things up? Has anyone seen this before? 

Chief Premier X12

Intel Core i9-10885H CPU @ 2.40GHz

64.0 GB RAM

64 Bit OS x64 based processor

Windows 10 Pro

If you are using a SAVED PLAN VIEW my guess would be that is the issue. In that first pic you show, pan up...what does it say for the saved plan view?

Here's the entire dialog box:

image.thumb.png.b363968d37f05c7656e9a6412cfc8c04.png

This isn't happening with any other referenced view.

I too have had issues w/saved plan views & layout

3 hours ago, joey_martin said:

If you are using a SAVED PLAN VIEW my guess would be that is the issue. In that first pic you show, pan up...what does it say for the saved plan view?

Saved Plan Views should exist for each floor.  If you change floors while in a Saved Plan View you have changed that view.  In fact any changes you make to a "Saved Plan View" will be shown in the Layout where that view has been sent.  So create a new "Saved Plan View" for each floor and each building discipline.

Then make sure you have the correct "Saved Plan View" active when you send to Layout.

From your description it sounds like you are sending views to layout that are linked to a Saved Plan View.  If you change anything associated with the Saved Plan View, such as the active layer set or the current floor, then this can affect your layout views.  If you send multiple views to layout all linked to the same Saved Plan View, then they will all update any time you change something.

Here are some ways to solve your problems:

- You can stop using saved plan views by switching your Saved Plan View Control that appears in the default toolbar to "None".  You can also do this in your default template so that new plans won't start in a saved plan view.

- If you are using X12, you can decide whether or not you want your layout box linked to a Saved Plan View in the Send to Layout dialog box.  Just make sure the "Link Saved Plan View (name)" box is unchecked when you are sending.

- You can unlink a layout box from a saved plan view by opening the Layout Box Specification dialog and setting the Linked Saved Plan View combo box to "None".  There is also an edit toolbar button that will allow you to link or unlink a layout box from a saved plan view.

- You can learn how to use Saved Plan Views.  If you use a different saved plan view for each layout view, you won't have to worry about accidentally changing them.  Saved Plan Views can greatly improve your productivity so that you can just switch views instead of having to change lots of settings all the time.

More information about Saved Plan Views can be found in the reference manual or in this video:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2421/saved-plan-views.html?playlist=100

15 hours ago, Dermot said:

Here are some ways to solve your problems:

- You can stop using saved plan views by switching your Saved Plan View Control that appears in the default toolbar to "None".  You can also do this in your default template so that new plans won't start in a saved plan view.

- If you are using X12, you can decide whether or not you want your layout box linked to a Saved Plan View in the Send to Layout dialog box.  Just make sure the "Link Saved Plan View (name)" box is unchecked when you are sending.

- You can unlink a layout box from a saved plan view by opening the Layout Box Specification dialog and setting the Linked Saved Plan View combo box to "None".  There is also an edit toolbar button that will allow you to link or unlink a layout box from a saved plan view.

- You can learn how to use Saved Plan Views.  If you use a different saved plan view for each layout view, you won't have to worry about accidentally changing them.  Saved Plan Views can greatly improve your productivity so that you can just switch views instead of having to change lots of settings all the time.

to add to Dermot's list, you can also:

- Set your Plan View to Use Any Floor

I think the "use any floor" is a great option for someone that already knows how to use saved plan views.  For people that don't, they will still have problems as soon as they change any of the other settings tied to saved plan views such as layer sets or reference display.

17 hours ago, Dermot said:

- You can stop using saved plan views

- If you are using X12, you can decide whether or not you want your layout box linked to a Saved Plan View in the Send to Layout dialog box

- You can unlink a layout box from a saved plan view

- You can learn how to use Saved Plan Views

Haha, the last suggestion is the only good one :D

• Upvote 2