Taylork15

Roof help needed

Hi, 

I am having some problems with getting the garage roof to be an 11/12 pitch and the attached house being 8/12 pitch, one of the roof planes is part of the garage and apart of the house. I am new to this and can't draw the roof manually very well. I have been using the auto roof and just changing the settings. 

Thank you!May- Lot 73.plan 

:D

If you want different pitches you'll have to specify them in each plane (or group select). If you use the automatic roof plane tool they will all be the same unless you select the ones you don't want to have automatically changed by checking the Manual Roof Plane radio button. Then Chief will leave them alone.

• Downvote 1

@Taylork15

You can help us by completing your signature -- please check your messages for more info.

Roofs, both auto and manual, take practice, and an understanding of various settings. Documentation, including articles and videos is available on the Chief website. Chief has a YouTube channel too. See my signature for my YouTube channel and a playlist for roof related videos.

When you attach a plan, it helps if it reflects your best effort. Your roof, for example is all 12:12.

It's also helpful to have some idea of what you want the final roof to look like, especially where you have parts of the structure at an angle.

Is this an as built or new construction?

Hi, 

This is the first plan I have done. I thought I had the roof set to 11:12 that is my mistake.

I have some roof ideas I used for inspiration. 

I will check out your videos and keep watching chief's videos. 

This is new Construction. 

14 minutes ago, Taylork15 said:

This is the first plan I have done

One suggestion for learning is to leave auto rebuild roofs turned on, and use the wall settings to control automatic roof changes. With a single click you can choose between a gable or hip roof condition on a per wall basis. And by going into the roof tab of a wall specification dialog, you can change the roof pitch generated over the selected wall(s).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam_Gibson said:

If you want different pitches you'll have to specify them in each plane

Unless you are using Auto Roofs, then you set the pitch in the wall dialog box the roof is setting on and let Chief do the rest.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You have a molding way away from the house. Use the Fill Window tool and it will be at the very top of the screen.

ct1.thumb.png.f52fff3127b91aeae5e785148c9d5230.png

• Like 1

Speaking for myself, I love Chiefs roof program.  Wish it had more layer control (fascia, soffit, etc..), but other than that, once you do as these gents suggest, practice, practice and practice.. throw a bad word or two in there.. it really is cool how the planes can line up.  It amazes me what these programmers can do.  

Good luck

• Like 2