Difference between export PDF and print to PDF?

Renerabbitt

I believe they're the exact same dialog, just with a different name.  I suspect Chief wanted to give people 2 options depending on the behavior they were expecting and that they wanted to make it clear that the wrong dialog wasn't opening up.  The Help files seem to describe them as one and the same too...

Printing and Exporting PDF Files

You can save any view as a 2D .pdf file by selecting File> Export> Export PDF. This will open either thePrint View or Print Image dialog, depending on the view type.

You can also save any view as a 2D .pdf file by selecting “Chief Architect Save as PDF” as the Destination printer Name in either of these dialogs. See Printing to a PDF File.

Printing to a PDF File

Portable Document Format, or .pdf files, are one of the most universally compatible and efficient file formats and can be viewed and printed on most computer platforms.

You can save any view as a 2D .pdf file by selecting “Chief Architect Save as PDF” or any other PDF writer installed on your system as the Destination printer Name in either the Print View or Print Image dialog. SeePrint View Dialog and Print Image Dialog.

You can also print to .pdf from any view by selecting File> Export> Export PDF. See PDF Files.

30 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Just curious if anyone knew if there was a benefit to Export\Export PDF. Seems to just use the chief PDF Print driver

I believe the only difference is that when you choose Export then the applications PDF converter is used, when you choose Print you get to select the PDF converter from your printer list.

Another little difference: The Export PDF tool will automatically set the page size and orientation based on the page setup, where as the Print tool will not. Still gotta set the DPI manually, though. I assume Export PDF defaults to 600 DPI for everyone else...

1 hour ago, BrownTiger said:

No it defaults to the C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Chief Architect Inc\Chief Architect Premier X12.ini setting

Printer%20DPI=600

Is this OK to change? Would / could it cause any unwanted side effects?

Just checked that out...on mine, every instance is set to 300.

1 hour ago, BrownTiger said:

I believe it is set in two different groups [places] one for export pdf and another for printing. Make sure you change the right one.

I did a text search to try and locate a setting for 600 DPI and found nothing. Every instance is set to 300. I'll keep looking and if I find anything, I'll post the results for future searchers.