stevenyhof

Kick Board Under Exterior Door

Hello,

Is there a setting to add a kick board? This seems like a simple check box option but I cannot find it.

I added a molding which works.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Steve

kick board.jpg

6 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

I added a molding which works.

Why a molding? Is there a profile? Is it like the casing -- the siding butts into it?

16 minutes ago, solver said:

Why a molding? Is there a profile? Is it like the casing -- the siding butts into it?

Yes, the siding butts into it. Typically there is a 1x8 trim board (cut to fit) added below the door, the width of the door with the casing running past to the porch floor top. We never run the siding under the door.

Then why a molding? Guessing you are talking about a Molding Polyline?

• Like 1

There is currently no method to specify jamb profiles or sill profiles for doors. Solids, moldings, material regions, would be required. I'm not sure if you could make a door symbol with that exterior trim piece, but I kinda doubt it.

Rob etc are correct, Chief doesn't do this Auto , UNLESS you raise the Door off the Subfloor Floor , then it adds one auto.  Raising the Door off the Floor is not a real issue as Chief does not build Ext. Doors per the Real World ( RW)  ie there is NO Sill taken into account in the height measurements , only the Top Jamb.  ( 80 3/4") 

A STD Ext. Prehung Door is usually about 81 3/4" high +/- , so in Chief you can raise the door 1" +/- off the Floor to simulate a RW Sill/Threshold which are normally 1 1/2" - 1 3/4 " thick so the door Top is at 81 3/4" off the Floor ( RW) and you get the Auto Threshold appearing ...unfortunately we can't dictate that moldings size. ( ie like window sill aprons)

Mick.

image.thumb.png.c24ab237b9e111489f1e8d308a93a8da.pngimage.thumb.png.43296f2ac8b0bf378665307e18589da0.pngimage.thumb.png.8551d1c0dd639451bc229171c6ce3bcb.png  

Don’t forget to add the metal threshold on the sill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

I'm not sure if you could make a door symbol with that exterior trim piece, but I kinda doubt it.

Yes.  You can, but it would swing open with the door.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 4:39 PM, robdyck said:

I'm not sure if you could make a door symbol with that exterior trim piece, but I kinda doubt it.

A Door Symbol with the Trim, won't work as expected but if you make the Trim a Symbol ( Millwork )  and then set No Ext. Casing and No Threshold/Sill in the Exterior Door DBX ( or Defaults) you can add the symbol for the Trim from the Library, center it on the Door and then the Wall ( or adjust as needed) ......it is fairly quick, once you've made the Symbol of course ...... this Door is also set 1" off the Floor as mentioned in my post above.

M.

image.thumb.png.1ca86bafeb3371a93ce56520e685dcc4.pngimage.thumb.png.29c0d369a22d784302eb67164a3e60c3.pngimage.thumb.png.3a058aec99f80599f26d011d5545c834.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

A Door Symbol with the Trim, won't work as expected but if you make the Trim a Symbol ( Millwork )  and then set No Ext. Casing and No Threshold/Sill in the Exterior Door DBX ( or Defaults) you can add the symbol for the Trim from the Library, center it on the Door and then the Wall ( or adjust as needed) ......it is fairly quick, once you've made the Symbol of course ...... this Door is also set 1" off the Floor as mentioned in my post above.

M.

image.thumb.png.1ca86bafeb3371a93ce56520e685dcc4.pngimage.thumb.png.29c0d369a22d784302eb67164a3e60c3.pngimage.thumb.png.3a058aec99f80599f26d011d5545c834.png

Thank you! I haven’t gotten into symbols yet, but it won’t take me long. 

17 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Thank you! I haven’t gotten into symbols yet, but it won’t take me long. 

It's much easier since X11 to make symbols and many 3D objects can now be turned in Symbols with a click of the "make symbol Icon" on the edit Toolbar.

These are just Polyline Solids placed around the Door ( 2x6,2x8) and grouped into an Arch. Block, then turned into a Millwork Symbol, the symbol was then adjusted to sit at the right height with it's Z axis set to a negative number , referenced off the (sub)Floor not the finished floor.

Here's the Plan and symbol etc to Play with..... add them and the textures ( Fascia and Alum. sill ) to your library for re-use....

MHD_Ext. Door 36 Trim with Threshold.plan

10 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Here's the Plan and symbol etc to Play with..... add them and the textures ( Fascia and Alum. sill ) to your library for re-use....

Thank you! 

How 'bout a CAD patch on whichever elevations have this condtion?  Fast, easy, onto the next project.

If it must be 3D, a p'solid's as fast as the CAD patch.  Or use a material region.

I find there's a limit to these kind of things.  When you compare what gets built to what you drew, the answer is "we always do it that way."  And you wonder why you bothered.

Just curious if a custom fixed door set right and below the existing door would model this correctly?  Not sure how it would react being placed in the space of the floor system...??? Not at home right now to try it though. :huh:

So I spent like 2 minutes on this and didn't add the metal sill and it has casing below it but for modeling purposes this might work?  I think this was the look you were going for?

image.thumb.png.cb905f1d69af4aee8f40084203565650.pngimage.thumb.png.0cfe8cb6e604a836fbc7bce1b5d88d7e.png

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

So I spent like 2 minutes on this and didn't add the metal sill and it has casing below it but for modeling purposes this might work?  I think this was the look you were going for?

image.thumb.png.cb905f1d69af4aee8f40084203565650.pngimage.thumb.png.0cfe8cb6e604a836fbc7bce1b5d88d7e.png

That is exactly what I am looking for! So are you adding the casing from the door dialog? Is the kick plate - "has casing below" - how did you do that?

29 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

That is exactly what I am looking for! So are you adding the casing from the door dialog? Is the kick plate - "has casing below" - how did you do that?

It is a door  that is set to fixed swing out, slab style, same casing as main door color set to casing color and at the end mulled together with the main door.  You would have to change the auto label to the door is the only problem since once it is mulled it shows the combination information.  The reason it needs to be mulled is to get the casing to show all the way down to the deck and to remove the casing that is in between the two doors.  Like I said you would still need to setup the sill itself but maybe someone else has the idea now that we figured out the double door gets it close.

Spitballing as I am in the middle of a job maybe making a zero height lintel may help with the non-mulling issue???

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rgardner said:

It is a door  that is set to fixed swing out, slab style, same casing as main door color set to casing color and at the end mulled together with the main door.  You would have to change the auto label to the door is the only problem since once it is mulled it shows the combination information.  The reason it needs to be mulled is to get the casing to show all the way down to the deck and to remove the casing that is in between the two doors.  Like I said you would still need to setup the sill itself but maybe someone else has the idea now that we figured out the double door gets it close.

Spitballing as I am in the middle of a job maybe making a zero height lintel may help with the non-mulling issue???

Thank you - I will mess with this

9 minutes ago, rgardner said:

did you look at the Framing in a CS Cam?  or Framing View? isn't the Floor Joist and Rim joist cut out ? 

it would also seem from the pic that the Trim is below the Decking ? but that maybe just a height issue. ( ie raise/lower )

M.

On 7/26/2020 at 4:45 AM, stevenyhof said:

Thank you! 

Just explode the Arch. Block and make the top trim piece square on the ends  ( instead of 10° as common here) or whatever size and shaped need , then reblock and make a new symbol.

M.

A lot of ways to do this kind of stuff, but I think for most situations is best to just keep it simple...

26 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

did you look at the Framing in a CS Cam?  or Framing View? isn't the Floor Joist and Rim joist cut out ? 

it would also seem from the pic that the Trim is below the Decking ? but that maybe just a height issue. ( ie raise/lower )

M.

Yes, for me I would probably use a molding line or a psolid if I needed to model this but really I don't show this.  It wouldn't be worth it to me with all the manual work on the framing.  Just a thought of a way to do it with a door that might work if he is not showing floor framing as some don't as they use the joist layout.

7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

A lot of ways to do this kind of stuff, but I think for most situations is best to just keep it simple...

You are right, multiple ways to pull this off. But what I am really looking for is the casing to extend down. I guess if we wanted some fancy wide casing on some base blocks, we would want it resting on the floor/porch with the kick plate between.

6 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

You are right, multiple ways to pull this off. But what I am really looking for is the casing to extend down.

I guess if we wanted some fancy wide casing on some base blocks, we would want it resting on the floor/porch with the kick plate between.

Chief does Plinth Blocks, just not in this case below the door, but it's easily enough done with the Trim Symbol idea as I showed above .....it can be in the library and reused for every job though, unlike material regions etc. 

I did it above for the whole door but my guess is it would be easy enough to just make plinth blocks and the board between and set it to install below an opening too.

M.