Why Can't My Computer/programs Remain Constant?

dshall

I swear,  it seems eveytime I turn around my computer or my iPad or my iPhone or my libido is acting different.

About to do a go to meeting.  I do about 5 of these a week,  about to do one now,  and the GTM CONTROL PANEL is actually separated from the CONTROL PANEL WITH THE ARROW TO MINIMIZE.

I'll get over this,  but there is always something going on.

It's because of this constant upgrade everything crap we have in our society. If you want it to stop, you basically have to stop upgrading stuff. One thing always leads to another…

If it ain't broke… Hey, what the heck, fix it anyway.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm not against improvement, I just don't know that it's always warranted with technology. Often times I think the cost outweighs the benefit. Sometimes it's just best to stop, live with the hardware and software you have for little while and then upgraded it all every so often. That way you deal with all the changes at once. Just my 3 cents.

The continual cycle of upgrades to network connected software is all about security.  Vendors will throw in other changes based on marketing/functional needs, but security holes are the primary driver.

jon

I'm not so sure that's entirely true. I know a ton of the upgrades that at least attempt to automatically take place on my computer have nothing to do with security. And even then...the vast majority of software doesn't actually need to be connected to the Internet at all. Ironically a lot of programs ONLY make regular internet connections to look for updates (maybe even security upfates to make it safer to continue checking for updates). A ton of the updates are simply to keep up with other updates...to work better with new software A, to work better with new hardware B, to work better on new operating system C, etc.

I might also add that many programs only update automatically if you allow them to do so, and I would suggest that if you want things to stay the same for a little while, cutting out the upgrade service may not be such a bad idea.

I don't upgrade stuff all that often myself (except ESET which does so automatically) and I must say, I don't have a fraction of the issues I hear a lot of others have (needing to reboot, needing to find the latest drivers, needing to download drivers, needing to reinstall programs etc. My computer also works the same almost all the time.

Here's my approach. Let me preface these remarks by

saying that I run all my "A" programs on a dedicated

stand alone workstation. If you are on a network I

wouldn't necessarily advocate this approach.

First off I almost never install a new program while

connected to the internet (the rare exception being

some software updates downloaded from the internet). 

Obviously I always try to obtain a hard copy (CD DVD

etc.) of the software I buy and install. Once a program 

is installed I will then connect to the internet to activate

and update it as necessary. This approach precludes

having the installation programs running amok and

installing all kinds of unnecessary things.

The first thing I do after installing Windows is to

systematically disable Windows Update, Messenger

and Windows Firewall. I also run without any anti-

virus software whatsoever. IMHO, antivirus software

is by its nature a virus (a benign virus hopefully but a

virus none the less) that always runs in the background 

using up valuable resources and interfering with normal

computer operations. I don't use my workstation to surf

the internet. I have older "retired" rigs that I use for that.

I tend to upgrade at semi-regular intervals and when I

do I usually upgrade everything at the same time. For

example my previous rig was a Pentium4 running

Windows XP Pro, Internet Explorer 8, Office 2003,

Adobe Acrobat 9 etc. It was so stable and reliable that

I used it until much of the software had become "sunset"

and the advent of newer versions finally forced me to

upgrade. Now I'm up to Windows 7 Ultimate, Internet

Explorer 11, Office 2010 and Adobe Acrobat 10. When

I get a good combination of compatible programs I

rarely worry about updating them unless something

comes along that is really worthwhile. I don't mind

being a version or two behind what is considered to

be cutting edge as I find these programs are usually

more stable and have had any major problems resolved.

What does all of this mean? You tell me. :)  I find my

rigs to be fast, reliable and crash free. And in the event

that something should go terribly awry I am not above 

taking a night off and doing a fresh install of Windows

and all my programs. In fact I advocate this practice

from time to time to give your rig a new lease on life.

Windows 8 is a good example of  what you are talking about, D.Scott--"fixing what ain't broke" and needlessly complicating everyone's lives who were perfectly comfortable with the "older" versions of windows (like me) and then needed a new computer!!! Newer isn't always better. Another case in point (though not computer related) : I just recently read an article that explained  why all the composition shingle roofs in our area now have unsightly black streaks of mold on them: when the shingle manuf. switched to using  lighter weight fiberglass in their asphalt shingles they needed to add something so that they would meet weight requirements. They added limestone powder, which , it turns out, is a perfect "food" and growth medium for mold/algae. Maybe they should go back to whatever it was they used to use in asphalt shingles! (You folks out in California might not have these molds issues, but on the moist east coast it is a big problem.) Don't know if that problem ever got fixed recently or not. I also heard that the composition (fake) wood deck materials (like Trex) also have had similar mold issues (another supposed "improvement" over good old pressure-treated wood!)

Just my two cents, fwiw.

Phyllis

MS going to Win 8 was a good plan with a "flaw"

their plan was to have one OS for all devices -  good idea

the "flaw" was not allowing desktop users to stay with the familiar Win7 GUI

especially for those who didn't have touchscreens etc

MS finally heard the "screams" and issued Win 8.1 and then some other patches

and with Win 10 they are going to allow desktop users the more familiar GUI

it pays to listen to your customers instead of telling "like it or lump it"

Lew

One can wish for things but if you are in business and intend to continue to be in business, then change is a must. As has been mentioned, security is a constant problem, the competition is another, Governments and taxes are another. Company's that did not change with the times, no longer exist for better or worse. The same is true with Human Beings, we change, we age. The only constant in Life is Change.

DJP

One can wish for things but if you are in business and intend to continue to be in business, then change is a must. As has been mentioned, security is a constant problem, the competition is another, Governments and taxes are another. Company's that did not change with the times, no longer exist for better or worse. The same is true with Human Beings, we change, we age. The only constant in Life is Change.

DJP

How are you doing DJP?  Don't hear much from you lately,  I  hope all is well.  I have missed your thought provoking posts....  I have thought about starting the "Best of DJP" up again,  but only with your permission.

Dear Scott, I only post when I have something to say and there are many competent voices here with room for all of them to be heard. Shared Wisdom and fun is the best goal of this forum and no one has that market cornered, nor should anyone be haloed above others as well. Thank you but just keep doing what you do, that is enough for me and for many others.

DJP