Electrical Symbol Size

HDbyJustin

Double click the Smoke Detector symbol and change its size in the dbx. I do it all the time for the reasons you state. I use 12 and maintain aspect ratio.

Would love to be able to set this as the default size but not show how or if it can be done. Interesting, I added the larger size to my library, changed the name from Chief's default 'Smoke Detector 1' to simply smoke detector and it's the first thing that comes up in the library when searching foe smoke detector. Nice. Off to change the CO detector as well. 

smoke 1.jpg

5 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Would love to be able to set this as the default size but not show how or if it can be done

Like a lot of things it can be done, if you deem it important enough:

You do this in your  Profile.plan (make your edits and changes) assigning the edited symbols as defaults, then, thereafter your changes will be "Default"

DJP

1 minute ago, DavidJPotter said:

Like a lot of things it can be done, if you deem it important enough:

You do this in your  Profile.plan (make your edits and changes) assigning the edited symbols as defaults, then, thereafter your changes will be "Default"

DJP

So simple right? Amazing how long I'll stick with a flawed method just because it's familiar.. Thanks David.

Just to clarify some things...

What you will need to do depends on whether or not you want to modify the 2D display for plan views versus the size of the actual symbol that appears in camera views, or both.

If you want to modify both, then the task is pretty easy.  Basically all you need to do is open the electrical object's specification dialog and adjust the size as shown in Larry's picture above. 

If you want to modify just the 2D cad block or the 3D geometry only, you will need to do this using the open symbol tool.  The Symbol Specification dialog allows you to replace either the cad block for 2D display or the 3D geometry used in camera views.  You will need to create the cad block or 3d geometry ahead of time to replace them. 

One way to modify the cad block is to use the Cad Block Management dialog to find the current cad block, use the insert tool to place it into a plan, modify it as needed, reblock it and give it a name you will recognize.  You will then be able to choose this block from the Symbol Specification dialog.

If this is an electrical object that you plan on reusing, then you should probably save it to the library.  If this is an electrical object that you would like to use as a default for your electrical tools (such as an outlet, switch or light), then you should open the Electrical Defaults dialog and assign it as one of the appropriate defaults.

More information about all of this can be found in the manual and training videos.

• Upvote 2