Richard_Morrison

Smooth board & batten texture?

Recommended Posts

I'm looking for a board & batten texture (image) that has a smooth finish, rather than the rough finish that the Chief library has. White preferable, but maybe other pastel colors, too. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made one for another user a little while back.  It's a very specific size and spacing, but maybe you can use it. Paint it whatever color you like using "Blend", or take the normal map and use that with any color you like.  I can also make you a custom texture if necessary.  You can have this one though...

B&B 1x2x16.calibz

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Thanks, Michael! I'm on the lookout for one with a little more apparent depth for the battens. Something a little closer to: https://db-homes.com/home-building-options/siding-crane-premium-pointe-board-batten/ which I just came across.

Than import those textures as "Custom Materials" and you are then "Done!"

 

DJP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Thanks, Michael! I'm on the lookout for one with a little more apparent depth for the battens. Something a little closer to: https://db-homes.com/home-building-options/siding-crane-premium-pointe-board-batten/ which I just came across.

 

That depth is kinda limited by the behavior of those normal maps.  I think you're unlikely to find any that are "deeper" than the one I attached.  In order to get any more depth you end up needing to use an "angled" profile.  One of the mapping gurus like @Renerabbitt@Chiefer, or @gelbuilding can correct me if I'm wrong, but in my experience, it's just a limitation to the way those normal maps work.  It's the reason I tend to do that kind of thing with actual 3D geometry. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CertainTeed and Mastic Home Exteriors both have vinyl board and batten textures.

image.thumb.png.52fea405aa49a857555777455865d0e3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

it's just a limitation to the way those normal maps work

Yup, much better results just using material regions IMO or my new fav, backsplash, as it can be added to style palettes. Easy to make a board and batten style palette and drop it on a backsplash to make your batten.

Normals maps simply don't work well with two adjacent/inversed 90 degree angles. There is no way for it to illustrate that in 2d with some associated UV mapping. Better off creating the geomotry or it just looks like a rolled texture like the one mentioned by Rob..plus it's too difficult to make a bunch of different batten styles through textures

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comparison between normal map (left) and region/backsplash( right image)

(don't mind the tint)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Comparison between normal map (left) and region/backsplash( right image)

 

The region/backsplash is far better, of course, and it looks like you have more control over the location of the battens. I confess that it's not clear to me how you get the battens, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richard_Morrison said:

The region/backsplash is far better, of course, and it looks like you have more control over the location of the battens. I confess that it's not clear to me how you get the battens, though. 

 

Simply draw a single batten to the appropriate width and tall enough to cover your wall using the Material Region or backsplash tool.  Then Multiple Copy across your wall at the desired spacing.  Copy and Paste onto the next wall, adjust height as necessary, and repeat the Multiple Copy procedure.  Just have to repeat the Multiple Copy for each unique plane.  There are a few different siding types you can use this method for and you can either set the Material Region to Cut Finish Layers or not depending on the specifics, but for most B&B, not cutting finish layers is probably best.  You just have to add corner boards manually unless you use the Material Region to cut the recesses instead of as the battens. 

 

If you're feeling brave and adventurous, you can also block your material region and add it to the library.  Make it tall enough to cover your tallest walls and then you can use a Polyline Distribution Path to completely trace all your walls.  Explode that path and all your material regions are distributed for you. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

 

Simply draw a single batten to the appropriate width and tall enough to cover your wall using the Material Region or backsplash tool.  Then Multiple Copy across your wall at the desired spacing.  Copy and Paste onto the next wall, adjust height as necessary, and repeat the Multiple Copy procedure.  Just have to repeat the Multiple Copy for each unique plane.  There are a few different siding types you can use this method for and you can either set the Material Region to Cut Finish Layers or not depending on the specifics, but for most B&B, not cutting finish layers is probably best.  You just have to add corner boards manually unless you use the Material Region to cut the recesses instead of as the battens. 

 

If you're feeling brave and adventurous, you can also block your material region and add it to the library.  Make it tall enough to cover your tallest walls and then you can use a Polyline Distribution Path to completely trace all your walls.  Explode that path and all your material regions are distributed for you. 

Michael,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. This works great! I don't seem to be able to get the Polyline Distribution Path to work, though. I save a batten as an object (it is listed as an architectural block) and looks like a tiny rectangular flagpole in the preview. Then I draw a distribution path and select that block. They shows up perfectly in plan, but in 3D (even with all layers turned on)... nothing except the first one. Exploding the path does nothing. Not sure what I'm missing there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gelbuilding said:

Hi Richard,

 

See calibz file below

George,

Thanks for this! This material looks great! If I wanted to modify these to get larger spacing between the batts, what would the process be like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

You can also use an extra framing Layer, for Full-3D, been doing it that way for a few years now..... same for Rain Screen actually.

 

M.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16852-board-and-batten-library/?tab=comments#comment-141647

 

Mick,

I did try your method, and I think that it's brilliant, especially if you need a materials list to include the battens and furring strips. Resizing and rotating battens is very easy, too. It gets a little messy with building framing so early in the process, though, because if you have to rebuild framing after you've done a bunch of adjustments to the battens, you lose all of your customizations. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Mick,

I did try your method, and I think that it's brilliant, especially if you need a materials list to include the battens and furring strips. Resizing and rotating battens is very easy, too. It gets a little messy with building framing so early in the process, though, because if you have to rebuild framing after you've done a bunch of adjustments to the battens, you lose all of your customizations. :(

 

Like many CA Work arounds there are a few quirks indeed :)...... Normally in the past I have done the "Battening" after the main Design Work so "customizations" and thus more work is minimised. Usually by just changing the Wall Definition from the non-battened Wall to the Battened Walltype and Framing it, and then "retaining Framing" after the Customizations like removing Doubles at openings are done.

 

Have not tried it is X12 honestly , so I am not sure if all is the same , think I started using this back in X9 or maybe earlier and there maybe more Framing "options" now...

 

M.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Michael,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. This works great! I don't seem to be able to get the Polyline Distribution Path to work, though. I save a batten as an object (it is listed as an architectural block) and looks like a tiny rectangular flagpole in the preview. Then I draw a distribution path and select that block. They shows up perfectly in plan, but in 3D (even with all layers turned on)... nothing except the first one. Exploding the path does nothing. Not sure what I'm missing there.

 

Not sure either.  Maybe you can post a quick example plan.  I will say that Material Regions can get quirky if they're too much taller than your walls though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing @gelbuilding.  That's not too shabby at all.  Just a quick note though....I notice you named the texture"...inverted", but the Bump Map actually still needs to be inverted.  It's current casting shadows the wrong way and appears more like strips of log veneer added to the surface.  Nice texture though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

George,

Thanks for this! This material looks great! If I wanted to modify these to get larger spacing between the batts, what would the process be like?

Richard,

Advise what your preference is and I can adjust the mat, See below I made another texture and you can see imperfections on the texture, dirt, and scratches.

I don't like clean texture.

For the board width, you need to increase the scale size of the texture in Chief.

9 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Thanks for sharing @gelbuilding.  That's not too shabby at all.  Just a quick note though....I notice you named the texture"...inverted", but the Bump Map actually still needs to be inverted.  It's current casting shadows the wrong way and appears more like strips of log veneer added to the surface.  Nice texture though!

See attached the new texture and let us know if the normal map is the correct way. I use so many programs and I'm always changing the normal map.

SB & Battern.JPG

Board & Battern.calibz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gelbuilding said:

See attached the new texture and let us know if the normal map is the correct way. I use so many programs and I'm always changing the normal map.

 

Thanks George.  The one you attached previously using the bump map instead of a normal map was actually a little more realistic and I had already fixed it pretty easily.  It just required inverting the bump map in Chief (just the little checkbox).  I was just letting you know was all.  Thanks again :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For memory I think I used a displacement map in the bump channel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2020 at 9:03 PM, gelbuilding said:

Richard,

Advise what your preference is and I can adjust the mat, See below I made another texture and you can see imperfections on the texture, dirt, and scratches.

I really appreciate the offer, George, but I'm hoping to learn how to do this myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, gelbuilding said:

I created this in substance designer.  

Well, that's a little pricier than I was hoping for....:( I may take you up on your offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Well, that's a little pricier than I was hoping for....:( I may take you up on your offer.

 

Take a look here at Chief's Post on S.D.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27849
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    goshgolly
    Newest Member
    goshgolly
    Joined