Board and Batten Library

Kbird1

***Old Technique for some , I just updated my Library so......

You can do this by adding a Framing Layer in your Wall Definition fairly easily using the Framing Type Materials from the Attached Library,

The technique is not perfect as it uses the Framing Material Type and thus Doubles at Windows and Doors and Headers etc Show up but

are easily deleted and adjusted if needed in certain Views. Pics Below shown the Clean up around a Door done and in Not done on a

Window are below , so you can see if you want to deal with it. This can be used in combo with the Rain Screen Batten Library too.

X9 Library

MHD_B&B_X9.calibz

X9 Test Plan ( X10 below)

Cedar Board and Batten _X9 Plan.plan

What should be in the .calibz , they can be unzipped with any unzip program

11.thumb.PNG.e5c0a3bef6d145c1ac67313b717476f4.PNG

Updated/Expanded X10 Library

MHD_B&B_X10.calibz

X10 Test Plan

Cedar Board and Batten _X10 Plan.plan

What should be in the .calibz , they can be unzipped with any unzip program

13.thumb.PNG.8a63d08463690efa336d7bce0ff69972.PNG

**Library also Contains some Old Non-3D B&B Materials if you don't want to spend the time on 3D so here is the

Pattern File for the Non_3D Board and Batten : in 6,8,10,12,16,and 24" OC Spacing

Also note that in a Vector View Check the actual spacing (Tape Tool + Ctrl Key) as I found

I had to use a scale of .125 up to .133 on the Pattern Tab to be right on my System

(.125 =6"  upto .133 =24")

Open the Library Non_3D Items and make sure on the Pattern Tab it is using the File below

if things don't look right ...it may say "Loaded from Plan" which means the material really.

My B&B Patterns.pat

VERY important for the 3D B&B --- FRAME the Wall

or you won't see the Battens in Plan View OR 3D Views

as they are a Framing Type Material.

You can change the Texture if desired if you have a "nicer" Cedar Material

but do not change the Material Type it must remain as Framing to Work.

Also make sure Framing is Displayed in All Views.

31.thumb.PNG.0a537973f8493a274e26f50aaac5304a.PNG32.thumb.PNG.f4eff24f1d739295ae6837bd4aab6a93.PNG33.thumb.PNG.7b3528e53c55dc6935c81a5868dd2b2b.PNG34.thumb.PNG.4bb8ff468d045d75eb2e41c52f32bce2.PNG

• You don't have to frame all the walls in the whole model at the same time, (but can) you may only want it on a gable end for example
  • You can set up all your options under default wall framing for the battened wall.
  • Select the batten wall and then Build Framing For Selected Objects on the Edit toolbar. 
  • Check Retain Wall Framing for that wall on the Wall's Structure Tab.
  • You can then go back to the wall framing defaults, change any options and then build the framing for the rest of the house, if needed.

The Image Used in the Library to make all the Materials in case you need it : ( if Ray Tracing it looks more natural if you desaturate the Colour )

RusticAlder_Wall.thumb.jpg.e4ef1139772ac5b8d173f2a41d4dc2e0.jpg5a7abbaf91548_BBSidingExample.thumb.jpg.d3d6a252a918d64debb505b3b31fab0b.jpg

Cedar Material            and a quick 30sec. RT  

My Rain-Screen Library Uses the same Technique

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16723-rainscreen-batten-library/

Another Old Library and more info on the Technique

Using a Wall Framing Layer for Cedar B&B

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/5383-is-there-a-way-to-trimextend-psolids-in-elevation-view/?do=findComment&comment=47072

Mick.

• Upvote 3

On 2/7/2018 at 4:26 AM, MarkMc said:

Thanks

On 2/7/2018 at 6:41 AM, briang372003 said:

Great Tip Mick, cant wait to test it out.

Thank you

Thanks Guys , let me know if it doesn't work , as mentioned it is not perfect around windows and Doors as Chief automatically has Doubles at openings but in Elevation or 3D Camera views they are easy to delete and move , just like Framing Members.

And a Reminder to Build Framing AND Display it even in Overviews.

***Note I just update the 1st post with an expanded X10 library and the Pattern File for the Non_3D Library too.

M.

• 2 weeks later...

X10 is not resetting the File Associations to X10 ( from X9) properly it appears so use the Import Library Function on the Library Menu , do not double click the Files to install them or it may fail. This applies currently to ALL Libraries Imported , not just mine posted here, thx.

If the File Association isn't set for X10 , then Double Clicking the Library File would cause it to try and import into X9 , and if made in X10 the Library may fail to import ... and I am not sure if you'd see the  Error Message about a "File made in a newer version" in this scenario? and it not installing.

how to check :

• 1 year later...

I am looking for a 3d board and batten in cedar to match the natural cedar bevel siding in X11, I am working in X12 but it should be fine.  Does anyone have it, I have looked all over and not found one.  I am doing a house in a resort and the exterior needs to be exact for the design review committee.  Thank you

2 minutes ago, edcsteve said:

I am looking for a 3d board and batten in cedar to match the natural cedar bevel siding in X11, I am working in X12 but it should be fine.  Does anyone have it, I have looked all over and not found one.  I am doing a house in a resort and the exterior needs to be exact for the design review committee.  Thank you

There isn't one, (AFAIK still) which is why I started using this method with the Extra layer of Framing a few years ago, but there are other methods with Polyline Solids and Wall Material Regions with Multicopy etc too , some search on Forum should locate them too. 

Mick.