Sign in to follow this  
THDesign

Hyperlinks in Layout

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

Is there a way to add hyperlinks to text/images in Layout, that can be clicked when exported to a PDF?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. You'd have to do that in a pdf program that has that functionality, like Adobe Acrobat, for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, THDesign said:

Is there a way to add hyperlinks to text/

 

A text hyperlink will work, but Rob is correct about buttons and images as they need to be compiled with a third party program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started putting hyperlinks in my PDF plans (via Acrobat) to Chief Architect's 3D viewer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hyperlinks in both Plan and Layout are very useful as references, both to local computer files as well as web sites.  I actually use some in my Layout to link to text files on my computer to allow editing of the text file data.

 

Hyperlinks transfer to PDFs however so you would have to add those via Acrobat as the other responses have indicated..

 

It would be great if printing to a PDF would pull the hyperlink from the Layout and include it.  Perhaps CA could program it into their PDF output but I use another PDF Printer (Nuance) which wouldn't work.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CharlesVolz said:

I started putting hyperlinks in my PDF plans (via Acrobat) to Chief Architect's 3D viewer.

Those should work when place directly in Layout, no need to open Acrobat. At least they do for me. I should've clarified my response as I assumed the OP's goal was linked callouts for navigation within the pdf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Those should work when place directly in Layout, no need to open Acrobat. At least they do for me. I should've clarified my response as I assumed the OP's goal was linked callouts for navigation within the pdf.

What program do you use to create your PDFs?

What are you linking to?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Joe_Carrick said:

What program do you use to create your PDFs?

What are you linking to?

 

Hey Joe, I was referring to Charles' response about providing hyperlinks to Chief's 3D viewer, which I place in my layout file. Printed using 'Chief Architect Save As PDF'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, robdyck said:

Hey Joe, I was referring to Charles' response about providing hyperlinks to Chief's 3D viewer, which I place in my layout file. Printed using 'Chief Architect Save As PDF'.

So I need to try links to web sites using "Chief Architect Save as PDF".  If what you say is true then that would be the only way to get a link in Layout to work in a PDF.  Only Chief's PDFs would be able to pick up and include the link.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Only Chief's PDFs would be able to pick up and include the link.

 

I am not so sure it actually has anything to do with chief at all.  I think Adobe and possibly others will recognize the formatting of a proper hyperlink in any text and maintain it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

 

I am not so sure it actually has anything to do with chief at all.  I think Adobe and possibly others will recognize the formatting of a proper hyperlink in any text and maintain it.

What he said! Adobe recognizes the text. Chrome does as well. I wouldn't know about any other pdf apps. I've included a quick vid of the link in action. Note that the opening page is from a pdf open with Adobe Reader.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

What program do you use to create your PDFs?

What are you linking to?

 

For bookmarks, internal links to page in a PDF I use Bluebeam PDF Revu. Once the pdf is opened in BB you can set bookmarks be page region. I select the page number area, add a dash, then add the page label region, click OK (or make bookmarks?).   That makes bookmark to each page listed with the pg number and title. Makes iPad users happy. I'd expect other pdf programs have that ability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to have links via highlighted labels vs. URL addresses. So I use Adobe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have text objects with hyperlinks in my Layout - some which link to websites, and some that link to internal files on my computer.  They all work perfectly within Chief.

 

However, when I create a PDF  it doesn't matter what PDF program I use, those links are not active in the PDF.  I can create links in the PDF using Adobe Acrobat, but none of the links created in Chief are transferred.

 

Am I missing something? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Likely just a formatting issue Joe.  Give this one a try...   Rich Text printed with Chief Architect Save As PDF.

Rich Text Hyperlink.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Likely just a formatting issue Joe.  Give this one a try...   Rich Text printed with Chief Architect Save As PDF.

Rich Text Hyperlink.pdf

OK, so this is not a "LINK" created in a text object within Chief.  It's text that has the actual URL.

 

That's not what I'm using within my Plans and Layouts.  If you create a regular text object in Chief ( can be any character - I like the special "Section" character ) you can then open the dbx for that text and add a "link" that works directly within Chief.  This allows me to go directly to a text file on my computer and edit the file.  When I save the edits, a macro in my plan or layout that reads the text file can update and display the associated data.

 

That link however will not get transferred to and be active in the PDF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

OK, so this is not a "LINK" created in a text object within Chief.  It's text that has the actual URL.

 

Yes it needs to be the full link and can not be shortened.  That is why I don't like using it for the 60+ character links to the 3D viewer.

 

It could so easily be a feature of Chief Architect Save as PDF but currently it seems to have nothing to do with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Member Statistics

    28415
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    HeartAlba
    Newest Member
    HeartAlba
    Joined