Is There Such A Thing As A "do It" Tool?

4hotshoez

After creating a wall or door or window or cabinet that is different from the defaults it would be nice if there was a tool I call "Do it", which works like the material eye-dropper by copying all attributes and making the tool active to start placing a new item with the chosen attributes. I do not want to mess with the defaults, but "copy" without actually using the copy-paste-move-rotate-move-adjust into position. I would make this a suggestion if I was certain something did not exist.

So, "do it": does it?

Then, an extension of "Do it" eye-dropper tool would allow you to extract attributes of a wall, door, window, cabinet and "inject" all the attributes of an existing item of like DNA (wall to wall). So a full 6" wall with siding could become a pony wall with stone or a half height wall or whatever.

Also, once you have a door, window or cabinet set the way you want, you can select the item and in the edit toolbar for the selected item, make it the default so that when ever you place that item, it will match the others.

I have had problems with this method as I make a change to one window and then they all change to match the one I wanted different.

"I have had problems with this method as I make a change to one window and then they all change to match the one I wanted different."

That's because of the "dynamic defaults". Changes to your default window will update any windows in your plan that are setup to "use default".

Try this instead, make your changes to the window in your plan and then save it to the library. Now place the library window instead of placing the default window. If you have other windows in the plan that you would to match the library window, then use the "replace from library" tool.

Or you could always just use copy/paste. Or the transform/replicate tool. Or...

In autocad what Todd is referring to is called "match properties". Insert a window for example. You change that window's properties only- not the default window properties. Then you want that window in 2 other places. Insert the default window in those 2 other places, click on the "match properties", click on the window that has the properties that you want and then click on the other 2 windows. They take on every aspect and setting of the window you want to mimic. A very, very handy tool that doesn't require you to change defaults, which can be tedious, and also doesn't require going back to the library. It can be a real timesaver.

Autobad does have a command that is similar in concept, but I was relating to a tool in Archicad and in Chief. Softplan also has a half baked solution to this idea. I have not been utilizing the User Library as much as I could for a project.

Softplan has a great tool for this. It's called the "repeat edit" tool.

I really miss this tool.

After making changes to whatever item in question, then click the repeat edit tool and then click on any other item to make it take on the newly updated changes.

Fortunately it's the only thing I miss.

Chief is king.

Softplan has a great tool for this. It's called the "repeat edit" tool.

I really miss this tool.

After making changes to whatever item in question, then click the repeat edit tool and then click on any other item to make it take on the newly updated changes.

Fortunately it's the only thing I miss.

Chief is king.

CA has this,  it is called STICKY MODE,  it is a repeat edit tool.

I never used this tool in that way. Only to make repeated copies.

I'll have to try that.

That is a good point.....  I am thinking of how I would use it other than for REPEATED COPIES.......  hmmm...  not sure if i can come up with an alternative usage........  dog gone you michaelgia,  I am stumped......    give me a couple of minutes to think about this......

...waiting

Dog gone you,  I was hoping you would let me of the hook.......  I can't think of anything but repeat copy.......  

Okay,  maybe in X7 they will have something where we can match properties.....  

....  if anybody can think of another purpose for the STICKY TOOL other than repeat copy,  please let us know.

Dog gone you,  I was hoping you would let me of the hook.......  I can't think of anything but repeat copy.......  

....  if anybody can think of another purpose for the STICKY TOOL other than repeat copy,  please let us know.

Not at my computer at that moment, but I know I've used it for something else before. I want to say it was in CAD details using the Trim command.

Actually the tool I use that's closest to the 'repeat edit' tool is the 'select same type' tool.

However it's a little too convoluted for this type of action. Too many parameters. I find myself hunting through the list and often selecting the wrong one and as a result nothing happens.