I wonder why my second floor loft flooring is sticking through the roof and can be seen on the outside of the building?

Loft floor issue 1.jpg

Loft floor issue 2.jpg

General notice: If you really want help zip up and post the plan.... It all depends how you build the roof....

You can also fix the pitch and set +6" roof plane

Because you have not told the program to do it differently.

Try making that space an Attic room.

It is not an attic. Here is the whole plan. Making it into an attic room will work but then I have to deal with an unfinished sheathing on my ceilings etc.
Obviously there is something I am not telling the program to do, that is what I am trying to figure out.

Thank you.

Untitled_1.zip

If your structure is as you want it, then you can replace the default floor with a Floor Material Region, and replace the default base with a Room Molding Polyline making adjustments to it so the base does not show on the exterior.

2 hours ago, MN_JohnH said:

I wonder why my second floor loft flooring is sticking through the roof and can be seen on the outside of the building?

Loft floor issue 1.jpg

Loft floor issue 2.jpg

I would just raise your roof plane...even the windows in the dormer are sticking out above the roof plane.  

I am curious though as to why the floor finish is building out to the face or the "log" veneer...seems odd.  Maybe someone can answer that. 

8 hours ago, MN_JohnH said:

Loft floor issue 2.jpg

It would seem at some point you have lowered those Roof Planes ( see Windows too or didn't rebuild the Roof before turning Auto Roof Build Off and have changed some heights? )  The Roof Planes neither sit on the 1st Floor Top Plates or the 2nd Floor's Floor Structure.  Assuming they will be framed on top of the Floor structure they are 5 7/16" LOW  .....  , so you may want to raise them an extra 1 1/2" if you want a 2x6 plate for the Rafters to land on ( yellow in 2nd pic)

image.thumb.png.7f6a4c84d0212d74b443966a49859ac0.pngimage.thumb.png.3df724f5b51df0820b9cb2aaa6498de1.pngimage.thumb.png.5a37b0cdc8eb00e82d69a19a91e7fc2f.png   

No Window issues and no Floor poking through after raising Roof Planes to top of Floor structure.

3 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

It would seem at some point you have lowered those Roof Planes ( see Windows too or didn't rebuild the Roof before turning Auto Roof Build Off and have changed some heights? )  The Roof Planes neither sit on the 1st Floor Top Plates or the 2nd Floor's Floor Structure.  Assuming they will be framed on top of the Floor structure they are 5 7/16" LOW  .....  , so you may want to raise them an extra 1 1/2" if you want a 2x6 plate for the Rafters to land on ( yellow in 2nd pic)

image.thumb.png.7f6a4c84d0212d74b443966a49859ac0.pngimage.thumb.png.3df724f5b51df0820b9cb2aaa6498de1.pngimage.thumb.png.5a37b0cdc8eb00e82d69a19a91e7fc2f.png   No Window issues and no Floor poking through after raising Roof Planes to top of Floor structure.

Yes! This is what I was missing. the windows I knew I was going to have to fix, they were wrong from the beginning but you are right, I was taking a plan with a lower ceiling and raising the ceiling on the main floor without considering that the roof should be raised as well or somehow rebuilt to accommodate the new floor level. I probably would have figured it out eventually but sometimes it helps to get another set of eyes on it.

Thanks for this and thanks everyone else for the thoughts.

6 hours ago, SNestor said:

I would just raise your roof plane...even the windows in the dormer are sticking out above the roof plane.  

I am curious though as to why the floor finish is building out to the face or the "log" veneer...seems odd.  Maybe someone can answer that. 

Thanks, I was going to fix the windows later, (just sliding them closer together), but for some reason I wanted to keep the roof where it was while raising the ceiling/floor level from where it was on an earlier rendition. But now I can't see a reason for that so you are right, I will just raise the roof.

It looks like you solved your problems for this particular project, but what about those situations where you might actually want the roof lower like that (because they do exist)? 

I believe your problems with the floor finish building through are likely because your walls defining that room are being cut down too short by the roof above.  When the walls are cut too short like that, they no longer stop the floor from building through...

Example.thumb.png.29bc48c8aaa45691414232b2217b2476.png

so, in order to address this, you can leave your roof planes right where they are and just define a very small attic area in that area where your roof is cutting into the room anyway...

attic.thumb.png.71af0d4e5022eb2be12bf9a2e60a3697.pngFixed.thumb.jpg.af4e71775e0295d0a11d303301196612.jpg

• Upvote 4

On 12/17/2019 at 11:09 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

It looks like you solved your problems for this particular project, but what about those situations where you might actually want the roof lower like that (because they do exist)? 

I believe your problems with the floor finish building through are likely because your walls defining that room are being cut down too short by the roof above.  When the walls are cut too short like that, they no longer stop the floor from building through...

Example.thumb.png.29bc48c8aaa45691414232b2217b2476.png

so, in order to address this, you can leave your roof planes right where they are and just define a very small attic area in that area where your roof is cutting into the room anyway...

attic.thumb.png.71af0d4e5022eb2be12bf9a2e60a3697.pngFixed.thumb.jpg.af4e71775e0295d0a11d303301196612.jpg

Thanks for the tip Michael, that is a good idea.

3 hours ago, MN_JohnH said:

Thanks for the tip Michael, that is a good idea.

Does it fix your Framing issue too ? I am curious...... 

On 12/19/2019 at 9:58 AM, Kbird1 said:

Does it fix your Framing issue too ? I am curious...... 

I didn't try that solution as the raised roof seemed to give me what I want and I have not really built framing for this plan yet. Just trying to ge the plan worked out first.
Thanks for the comments.

Looks as if you might want to edit either the roof pitch, roof height, or overhang length of that cross-roof gable at the far end if you want fascia heights to match.