KCoghlan

3d virtual render views

Recommended Posts

My architect for our home addition uses Chief.  He sends us "virtual" 3d views of the inside of rooms that I find really weird and distorted.  I am a mechanical engineer, and have used almost every mechanical design CAD system on the market since 1995.  So, I'm pretty familiar with how 3D views of a model can be viewed with different camera settings, different view angles, different ISO angle settings, etc.  

My Architect was only aware of three different rendering settings for the camera, which changed the realism of the rendered surfaces, but not the perspective angels of 3D objects (like walls, furniture, etc).  

The views he sends look to me as if I'm looking around the room through some sort of fish-eye lens.  What's directly in front of the view is "ok" but everything to the sides is really stretched out and distorted.

Is there a setting in Chief that I can point him to, to try and adjust this distortion?  The room setups he's sending just look really weird and I can't then picture the actual layout of the room.

Attached are two examples of what I'm talking about.  In one image looking straight at the TV, the TV is the proper aspect ratio (or close) while in the other image, the TV is super stretched out.  I'm not so concerned about the TV, it's just an example of the effect.  In both views, the room looks longer in the view axis than in the left/right axis than it really is/should be.  This room should be roughly 14' across from tv wall to wall behind couch, and 18 feet from window to fireplace.  Neither view conveys this rectangular shape of the room well.  The view looking at the TV makes the room seem square (because the short room dimension is stretched) while the view looking at the fireplace makes the room look longer and narrower than it is.

 

Thanks for any help.

coghlan playroom 11.15d.jpg

coghlan playroom 11.15a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, KCoghlan said:

Thanks for any help.

"field of view" is the closest thing we have to focal length which resides in your active camera defaults. maybe play around with this.

Additionally I offer rendering services where you can adjust focal length within a range directly in an active(vs passive) VR presentation:

https://kuula.co/post/7vl1J/collection/7lYBx

the nature of VR has some inherent fish-bowling because it is an image wrapped around a sphere. try zooming in on the linked VR

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Rene.  I didn't realize that Chief used a wrapped-in-a-sphere VR method for its 3D renderings.  This makes sense now.  I still hate the effect.  :)

Is there no other way to render a 3D view inside a room with Chief?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, KCoghlan said:

Thanks Rene.  I didn't realize that Chief used a wrapped-in-a-sphere VR method for its 3D renderings.  This makes sense now.  I still hate the effect.  :)

Is there no other way to render a 3D view inside a room with Chief?

 

 

I would say a still rendering can get you accurate two-point perspective, or a recorded walkthrough video

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

I would say a still rendering can get you accurate two-point perspective, or a recorded walkthrough video

These are still images, not VR per se.  Is "still rendering" another feature of Chief that I should suggest to him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KCoghlan said:

These are still images, not VR per se.  Is "still rendering" another feature of Chief that I should suggest to him?

In that case he should change his active camera's field of view

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

In that case he should change his active camera's field of view

To clarify, I have no idea what feature/tool he's using in Chief to produce the images (which in case you missed it are attached in my OP above).

I'm just saying they are not videos, he's just emailing me still jpg images.  They could be screen grabs from a video walk through for all I know.  

Is a "still rendering" the name of a feature/tool in Chief that I should recommend to him?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KCoghlan said:

To clarify, I have no idea what feature/tool he's using in Chief to produce the images (which in case you missed it are attached in my OP above).

I'm just saying they are not videos, he's just emailing me still jpg images.  They could be screen grabs from a video walk through for all I know.  

Is a "still rendering" the name of a feature/tool in Chief that I should recommend to him?

Thanks!

Ahh, understood, You should introduce him to these forums, we are all friendly folk. 

I would suggest he learn a PBR rendering technique and adjust his active camera's default field of view settings. Then perform an image export to .png when possible. We can give him more specific help where needed if he address's any confusion here on the forums. Might prove to be a new and valued resource for him...we've got some serious experts on these boards.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Ahh, understood, You should introduce him to these forums, we are all friendly folk. 

I would suggest he learn a PBR rendering technique and adjust his active camera's default field of view settings. Then perform an image export to .png when possible. We can give him more specific help where needed if he address's any confusion here on the forums. Might prove to be a new and valued resource for him...we've got some serious experts on these boards.

Thanks I will do that.

Is there a "free" version of CA that I can use to view files he has created?  both 2d floor plans and 3d renderings?  

Thanks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the room planner app has that capability if he uploads the .plan file and enables viewing/invites you. Might create another thread in that section of this forum.

3 minutes ago, KCoghlan said:

Thanks I will do that.

Is there a "free" version of CA that I can use to view files he has created?  both 2d floor plans and 3d renderings?  

Thanks...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

sketchy overlay

How do you convey a sense of space to a client, what method do you use to say give a client the feeling of "flow" in their home, the traffic areas, the pinch points etc.?

I do love that method for cabinet layout as shown, very clear and to the point...I have clients that simply cannot connect elevation and plan views to a sense of overall movement within the design...they need perspective imagery and to see the way the light interacts with a room.

I did a rendered cabinet elevation once..kinda fun/funny:

RGUX2750.thumb.PNG.29ad0ef4d314b9d8153aa482c3643aee.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or the Chief free trial version .... I think all the camera tools are available for file viewing (but I haven't checked!!!).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, KCoghlan said:

Is there a "free" version of CA that I can use to view files he has created?  both 2d floor plans and 3d renderings?  

 

There is a viewer application. You will need the .plan file.

 

Desktop Viewer: https://www.chiefarchitect.com/resources/viewerrequest.php

 

Other Viewers: https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/3d-viewer/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2019 at 6:25 PM, Renerabbitt said:

How do you convey a sense of space to a client, what method do you use to say give a client the feeling of "flow" in their home, the traffic areas, the pinch points etc.?

I do love that method for cabinet layout as shown, very clear and to the point...I have clients that simply cannot connect elevation and plan views to a sense of overall movement within the design...they need perspective imagery and to see the way the light interacts with a room.

I did a rendered cabinet elevation once..kinda fun/funny:

RGUX2750.thumb.PNG.29ad0ef4d314b9d8153aa482c3643aee.PNG

 

I love it. How do you do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2019 at 2:50 PM, KCoghlan said:

Thanks I will do that.

Is there a "free" version of CA that I can use to view files he has created?  both 2d floor plans and 3d renderings?  

Thanks...

 

He could also make a 3D Viewer File for you , which Chief hosts on their Server and anyone with the Link can view the 3D model in any web Browser

( I find Chrome works best).

 

If he doesn't know how , send him the link to the tutorial video.....

 

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/10147/sharing-3d-viewer-files-and-viewing-in-a-web-browser.html

 

or tutorial here: https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03068/viewing-managing-and-sharing-3d-viewer-models.html

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 9:27 AM, DG1949 said:

 

I love it. How do you do that?

This was 3rd party software, but you could do this with an orth-view in CA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    28444
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    Lufunoraf
    Newest Member
    Lufunoraf
    Joined