Designer1

PBR VS Raytracing

Chad - you mentioned that you could not get my suggested exterior light to work. This should not have been an issue as it's just one area light with shadows turned off. Was thinking about this and by any chance in the lighting DBX do you have lights set to automatic, if so then that may be the issue. Set this to Default Set as from my experience exterior placed lights are not recognized when using the auto setting.

• Upvote 1

Rene, yeah I just did multi copy tool and kind of moved them around to make it a circle tree type look.  Its my first time even using my custom "shade tree" and Im not sure its the best solution but can customize it with a denser shade or not. 

Thats a great idea for having different templates for settings, thats awesome I will have to think about how I would want to set all that up at the beginning.  I just have a template for a new plan but nothing super custom like yours.  Can you give me some ideas of what to think about for different lighting adjustments or scenarios you categorize each template for?  Right now I just either keep it to daylight setting or a later afternoon one but have to adjust everything each time I start a new plan. 

When you say that you customized chiefs default lights are you talking about the lumens or color tone of the lighting? I feel like this PBR thing for me is like a new frontier.  Ive used chief since 2003 and nothing really surprises me anymore since I know the program pretty well.  This completely new PBR thing has that new car excitement yet frustration with trying to learn all the new gadgets. haha

Graham, thank you for your endless amounts of help, I super appreciate it.  I think what it came down to is the files that I am trying to finish are very old, like five chief versions ago so things are behaving irregularly thus causing me great frustration.  I opened a brand new out of the box X11 file and did two trees with the standard grass and a few lights and your suggestions worked regarding the tree shadows!  So thats how I cam up with the conclusion that it wasnt me not knowing or a problem with Chief just a bunch of very old files carrying forward.  Many other glitches not dealing with lights were apparent too so thats when I tested a brand new file and it worked.  So I will go back to trying your lighting method when I complete this backlog of older stuff.

Ugh its like 50 something more houses I have to finish...YUCK!  I had 60 something so Im making progress but just want to get to brand new files and brand new designs.

I appreciate everyones help!

28 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I had 60 something so Im making progress but just want to get to brand new files and brand new designs.

What are you up to? Just updating old plans?

i will be uploading some new PBR tutorials in the next few days

Yes, I had some designs that were ahead of the times back a few years that have design cues that are popular now.  The designs are good but the interior finishes and interior design are dated so updating those and doing new renderings.  I have to update my website since I havent done that in a couple years.  Im pretty much complete with all the updates just doing landscape and renderings... its feels like Im eating the same thing everyday and although good the first few times Im ready for some new design treats to work on ;)

Your glass texture you spoke of in your other post, did you create that yourself?  I want to customize chiefs glass because the current PBR glass just looks like there isnt any glass there to begin with. Lol