Resizing An Image In X6

tommy1

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

It used to be that if you imported a jpeg of lets say a survey into the plan view, you could drag the sides (not the corners) and reshape the image. In X6, it only crops it. Is there any way to make it work like it used to by dragging the sides?

TIA,

Tommy:

I wasn't trying to give step by step

Glenn already did that

was just giving an FYI as to why a corner handle versus other handles

Lew

Lew, the corner handles do move it concentrically except when you do a right click. In previous versions, the side handles would shrink the image (not concentrically). In X6, when you drag the side handles, it crops it (which I like and it didn't do that before). I like this much better.

I can't find any mention of this "right-click" functionality in the X6 Reference Manual. It's so frustrating that many handy tricks in CA are either poorly documented or not documented at all. Glen, thanks for the tip.

The real problem is that Glenn is the only one that knows everything.  Unfortunately CA has not hired Glenn to write the manual,  hey CA,  fix this please,  thank you.

The real problem is that Glenn is the only one that knows everything.  Unfortunately CA has not hired Glenn to write the manual,  hey CA,  fix this please,  thank you.

d dot,

I think you overestimate my knowledge of Chief.

I didn't have a clue how to resize an image.

But it only took about 45 seconds to find out how to do it and post the answer - and now I know.

.......To reshape (as opposed to resizing) the whole image.

Select the image.

Right click and drag a corner handle.

I understand this,  a right click in the corner resizes AND NOT CONCENTRICALLY,  is there a purpose for resizing an image NOT CONCENTRICALLY.  

I am trying to figure out for what  purpose I would want to resize an image without it being concentric.  

Scott, the only time I ever do this is possibly for surveys. I do it just to fine tune it if I'm tracing it for driveways, sidewalks etc.. Most survey's we get are screwed up anyway. I get scanned surveys and often they are skewed which is a pain. Like I said , I do it just to fine tune. it's not for anything critical.

Scott, the only time I ever do this is possibly for surveys. I do it just to fine tune it if I'm tracing it for driveways, sidewalks etc.. Most survey's we get are screwed up anyway. I get scanned surveys and often they are skewed which is a pain. Like I said , I do it just to fine tune. it's not for anything critical.

So the image does not have the correct aspect ratio from the get go,  and you are simply trying to readjust the aspect ratio so it is correct...... yeah.....  I get this.

Tommy,  I don't know if you were of aware of the fact that I was drawing house plans in Houston from '73-'79 before I moved to San Diego.  Back then I drew the  plans,  printed them for the builder and it was built.  I never had to look at the plans again,  there was no plan check or engineering that was required.

If I had a 385' beam span supporting 4 floors,  I would call out "FLITCH BEAM" and somehow it got built.

A set of plans would consist of a 8-1/2x11 site plan attached to a set of plans typically drawn on 18x24 paper at 1/4" scale.  There would be (4) elevations,  a floor plan,  a section or two  (I think we did sections),  and a foundation plan.  There were no framing plans,  the framing direction of floor joists or ceiling joists were noted on the plans.  Oh,  and then we had one TYPICAL SECTION PAGE that somehow had enough information for the builder to build the house.

Is this the way it still is or do you guys need to go through zoning and planning and engineering and do always get "PLAN CHECK COMMENTS" back from the City of Houston Building Dept?

Tommy,  I don't know if you were of aware of the fact that I was drawing house plans in Houston from '73-'79 before I moved to San Diego.  Back then I drew the  plans,  printed them for the builder and it was built.  I never had to look at the plans again,  there was no plan check or engineering that was required.

If I had a 385' beam span supporting 4 floors,  I would call out "FLITCH BEAM" and somehow it got built.

A set of plans would consist of a 8-1/2x11 site plan attached to a set of plans typically drawn on 18x24 paper at 1/4" scale.  There would be (4) elevations,  a floor plan,  a section or two  (I think we did sections),  and a foundation plan.  There were no framing plans,  the framing direction of floor joists or ceiling joists were noted on the plans.  Oh,  and then we had one TYPICAL SECTION PAGE that somehow had enough information for the builder to build the house.

Is this the way it still is or do you guys need to go through zoning and planning and engineering and do always get "PLAN CHECK COMMENTS" back from the City of Houston Building Dept?

Scott, Things have changed dramatically over the years especially in the last 3 years. Yes you have to attach an original legal survey (stamped), but you also for a remodel have to include a site plan based off the survey clearly showing the new work and impervious ground coverage. The legal survey attached must reflect the existing correctly. In other words, we often get surveys that are old and if it doesn't match the current house due to a previous remodel, then we need to the homeowner to get a current survey. The City Of Houston will require this. The only time you don't need a site plan is if you're working from with-in the existing perimeter walls with no new living space or garage. Any time you use and engineered beam or lumber, an opening larger than 10' wide, or all any concrete (foundation or flatwork), then you have to have it stamped by an Engineer to obtain a permit. The city codes have changed a lot and now you have to have the IRC code (with code number) noted in the plan for a lot of things. The plan checkers now are young and are total a** holes. It's getting ridiculous around here. New construction or involved remodels takes about 1 month to hear back from the permit office. It's now almost impossible to get new construction permits through the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. time. This includes adding new garage apartments. Most of our remodels, we can get through the permit office the 1st. or 2nd. time. Everything got a lot stricter after Hurricane Ike. New construction is a major pain now.

.......The plan checkers now are young and are total a** holes.

NO!  CAN'T BE.  

It's getting ridiculous around here. New construction or involved remodels takes about 1 month to hear back from the permit office. It's now almost impossible to get new construction permits through the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. time. This includes adding new garage apartments. Most of our remodels, we can get through the permit office the 1st. or 2nd. time. Everything got a lot stricter after Hurricane Ike. New construction is a major pain now.  

I AM SO GLAD TO HEAR THERE ARE OTHER FOLKS STRUGGLING WITH THIS STUFF......  YEAH.....  IT AIN'T AS MUCH FUN.......  BUT HERE IS THE CAVEAT......  IF IT WERE EASY,  THE HOMEOWNERS WOULD BE DOING THE WORK.

Sounds as if you have as many struggles as we do out here in the land of fruits and nuts.