RL-inc

Way to speed up PDF to use in overlay work in CA

Recommended Posts

I dis a search but did not find what I was looking for so here goes-

I often have to import a floor plan pdf into CA and then add text or symbols for elec- mech - plumbing - etc...

The PDF file slows down the maneuvering significantly. Scrolling in and out becomes very labored.

 

is there a way to manipulate the PDF file to make the process work smoothly?

 

much thanks 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, RL-inc said:

I dis a search but did not find what I was looking for so here goes-

I often have to import a floor plan pdf into CA and then add text or symbols for elec- mech - plumbing - etc...

The PDF file slows down the maneuvering significantly. Scrolling in and out becomes very labored.

 

is there a way to manipulate the PDF file to make the process work smoothly?

 

much thanks 

 

 

Would you mind posting the PDF? Maybe some reducing or conversion can help

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could try to bring it in as a "PNG" file

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used Online converter and imported PNG- had to resize the image but appears we are on the right track.

will follow up with results

 

thanks as always

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RL-inc said:

I often have to import a floor plan pdf into CA and then add text or symbols for elec- mech - plumbing - etc...

The PDF file slows down the maneuvering significantly. Scrolling in and out becomes very labored.

See how this is. Converted to dwg then imported. It's not always better than either the original or a png but it's what I use most often since I can snap too it.

 

Caveat some pdfs don't convert well even with the program I use (scanned ones are bad), some require extra clean up, almost all require a little clean up first. In this case there was a single polyine box that needed to be deleted which I did before import.

 

A203.plan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Came in smooth -thanks Mark

What did you use to convert to DWG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RL-inc said:

Came in smooth -thanks Mark

What did you use to convert to DWG

Print2CAD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RL-inc said:

looks like Print2cad 2020 is about 240.00

 

There is a free download here-https://print2cad.en.softonic.com/

Looks like it is Print2cad 2015

 

 

Just keep an eye out, often on sale for $170-190. Think I paid 165, Saved me that much in the first 3 months, doubt I'll upgrade for 5 or 6 years  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RL-inc said:

looks like Print2cad 2020 is about 240.00

 

There is a free download here-https://print2cad.en.softonic.com/

Looks like it is Print2cad 2015

 

 

 

InkScape is Open Source and works fairly well for PDF>DXF/DWG the few Times I've used it.....

 

May not be a user friendly as Print2CAD though for that purpose....

 

https://inkscape.org/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use https://anydwg.com/

 

$180 but try the free trial.

It used to allow a limited number of conversion per session, which was not a problem for me.

I used it so much I finally bought it. Works OK.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27467
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    evanacree
    Newest Member
    evanacree
    Joined