HumbleChief

Is There a Way To Open A Template Plan With 'Views' Saved Like Project Browser etc?

Recommended Posts

Seems the Template doesn't save those 'Views' and they need to be re-opened with each new template plan... could be missing something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Seems the Template doesn't save those 'Views' and they need to be re-opened with each new template plan... could be missing something.

 

Are you talking about Plan Views or how CA looks ie tools bars and Side Windows when you Open a plan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

 

Are you talking about Plan Views or how CA looks ie tools bars and Side Windows when you Open a plan?

I think the latter, Items from the 'View' Menu Project Browser 'View' Active Layer Display Options 'View' Library 'View' etc....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can save a Layout or Plan as a Template and retain all of that.

  • Templates > Save as Template

Basically any Layout can be saved as a Layout Template and any Plan can be saved as a Plan Template

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Joe_Carrick said:

You can save a Layout or Plan as a Template and retain all of that.

  • Templates > Save as Template

Basically any Layout can be saved as a Layout Template and any Plan can be saved as a Plan Template

It doesn't seem to "retain all of that" here Joe...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HumbleChief said:

It doesn't seem to "retain all of that" here Joe...

 

What isn't being retained?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Joe_Carrick said:

What isn't being retained?

The stuff under the 'View' Menu like the Project Browser...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

You can save a Layout or Plan as a Template and retain all of that.

  • Templates > Save as Template

Basically any Layout can be saved as a Layout Template and any Plan can be saved as a Plan Template

Do the Templates "retain all of that" 'Views'  for you Joe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK Larry,

 

I'm not understanding.  Here's what I did:

  1. Open an Existing Layout & Plan
  2. Saved the Layout as a Template (New Template Name)
  3. Saved the Plan as a Template (New Template Name)
  4. Closed both Files
  5. Opened a new Layout from Template (New Template Name)
  6. Opened a new Plan from Template (New Template Name)

At this point I have a new unnamed Layout and unnamed Plan open that match the contents of the ones I saved.  

 

Now if you are just looking to duplicate the appearance of Chief Appearance from some prior session that's different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those views are saved with the program, not with a template.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Open a New Plan>Go to 'View' and open the Project Browser. Save the plan as a Template. Open the new Template and the Project Browser does not show up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The above procedure is an excellent way to start many new projects that are very similar.  You not only get the same defaults but you also get the same set of Layout Pages, Save Plan Views, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

OK Larry,

 

I'm not understanding.  Here's what I did:

  1. Open an Existing Layout & Plan
  2. Saved the Layout as a Template (New Template Name)
  3. Saved the Plan as a Template (New Template Name)
  4. Closed both Files
  5. Opened a new Layout from Template (New Template Name)
  6. Opened a new Plan from Template (New Template Name)

At this point I have a new unnamed Layout and unnamed Plan open that match the contents of the ones I saved.  

 

Now if you are just looking to duplicate the appearance of Chief Appearance from some prior session that's different.

 

I think that is what he is trying to do.....

 

The Side Windows Should open wherever you left them last Session.... *** IF you have that on in Preferences....

 

image.thumb.png.c713d403314c3bd1625910072c9ac492.png

 

If like me you Open multiple Forum Plans and don't LOCK the Toolbars they will change per the Opened plan it seems ...drove me crazy till i locked my Default Toolbar.

 

M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been using Templates for 20 years and are 'excellent as you've suggested. Was curious about the Views, thought they were retained but I guess not...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

The Side Windows Should open wherever you left them last Session....

,,,should they? How?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Been using Templates for 20 years and are 'excellent as you've suggested. Was curious about the Views, thought they were retained but I guess not...

 

 

see my edit above and pic , if not "Docked" they go back to default location

 

actually

image.thumb.png.525685c24e695d33958074eb16e39956.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Open a New Plan>Go to 'View' and open the Project Browser. Save the plan as a Template. Open the new Template and the Project Browser does not show up. 

 

Does for me, every time. But I'm on a Mac...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, here's what I get when I open the New Saved Plan Template.  All of the Plan Views, etc are there -  only one Plan View was initially opened.but that was the state when I saved the Template.1390333401_NewPlanFromTemplate.thumb.JPG.d241889f443b449a420ca2824fcb4194.JPG

Note that expanded the Project Browser & opened all those views.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

 

see my edit above and pic , if not "Docked" they go back to default location

 

actually

image.thumb.png.525685c24e695d33958074eb16e39956.png

Mick, I think that was it THANKS!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Joe_Carrick said:

OK, here's what I get when I open the New Saved Plan Template.  All of the Plan Views, etc are there -  only one Plan View was initially opened.but that was the state when I saved the Template.1390333401_NewPlanFromTemplate.thumb.JPG.d241889f443b449a420ca2824fcb4194.JPG

Thanks Joe, I was not getting the Project Browser, docked ALDO Windows to remain in the template. Looks like my prefs were not set up correctly.

 

Thanks again for your help...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Mick, I think that was it THANKS!!!

 

Glad I could help , I dock them as my Library is on my RH Screen and the ALDO on the Left and they always open there when Chief Opens....

 

***Lock your Toolbars too !

 

M.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks Joe, I was not getting the Project Browser, docked ALDO Windows to remain in the template. Looks like my prefs were not set up correctly.

 

Thanks again for your help...

Yes, Preferences are a totally different thing.  They really don't have anything to do with "Templates" which just open File Content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks Joe, I was not getting the Project Browser, docked ALDO Windows to remain in the template. Looks like my prefs were not set up correctly.

 

Larry,

 

Just to be clear, there is no Prference (or other) setting that will allow you to retain the open (or closed) status of those DBX's.

The Side Window Drag Docking does not control this behavior either - that just controls the docking behavior.

The only reason you are retaining the status (open or closed) of those DBX's is that they are open when you quit the Chief session.

Chief remembers their status between sessions and there is no way I know of to overide this default behavior.

So what ever DBX's you have opened or closed when you quit Chief will be retained when you next open Chief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, glennw said:

 

Larry,

 

Just to be clear, there is no Prference (or other) setting that will allow you to retain the open or closed status of those DBX's.

The Side Window Drag Docking does not control this behavior either - that just controls the docking behavior.

The only reason you are retaining the status (open or closed) of those DBX's is that they are open when you quit the Chief session.

Chief remembers their status between sessions and there is no way I know of to overide this default behavior.

So what ever DBX's you have opened or closed when you quit Chief will be retained when you next open Chief.

Yes, correct Glenn, not sure what I was doing that was not retaining those windows. Tried a few times and the windows were not retained then they were, only coincidentally after I changed those prefs but I think, as you wrote, it wasn't what changed the behavior. I think bone head user error actually caused and fixed the issue...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, glennw said:

 

Just to be clear, there is no Preference (or other) setting that will allow you to retain the open (or closed) status of those DBX's.

 

I didn't mean to infer that was the case if that was how it Read?  I just thought Larry had lost his Docked Windows for some Reason ( eg clicked reset Side Windows) and that he just needed to Dock them again as per his previous Setup and they will then opening again as per the Previous session. ( which for some could have started in X7 :) )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27999
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    KDsnyder
    Newest Member
    KDsnyder
    Joined